Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

High five!

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

OMG.

That's all I got.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

I wonder if they made any advancement promises to him as an enticement to sign?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Chapman details
    Posted by jfay January 10th, 2010, 5:48 pm

The deal with left-hander Aroldis Chapman is for $25 million over five years with a player option for a sixth. His salary for 2010 will be in $1 million range.

It’s a major league deal and it’s spread out over 10 years. The first year it will be a major burden on the big league budget is 2014.

Aroldis has thrown as hard as 102 mph. He hit 98 at workout in Houston.

I have no idea of how good Aroldis might be. The signing is a risk. But you’ve got to applaud the Reds for taking it. If the scouts are right and Aroldis is No. 1 starter, you’re looking at rotation of Edison Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey, Chapman and Mike Leake in the not so distant future.

The Reds think that there’s a chance Chapman will make it to the big leagues this year.

I’ve got jury duty tomorrow. Think they’ll let me out of it to cover the press conference.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Chapman details
    Posted by jfay January 10th, 2010, 5:48 pm

The deal with left-hander Aroldis Chapman is for $25 million over five years with a player option for a sixth. His salary for 2010 will be in $1 million range.

It’s a major league deal and it’s spread out over 10 years. The first year it will be a major burden on the big league budget is 2014.

Aroldis has thrown as hard as 102 mph. He hit 98 at workout in Houston.

I have no idea of how good Aroldis might be. The signing is a risk. But you’ve got to applaud the Reds for taking it. If the scouts are right and Aroldis is No. 1 starter, you’re looking at rotation of Edison Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey, Chapman and Mike Leake in the not so distant future.

The Reds think that there’s a chance Chapman will make it to the big leagues this year.

I’ve got jury duty tomorrow. Think they’ll let me out of it to cover the press conference.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/
    This just keeps getting better and better.

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

I'll be purshasing a customized Aroldis Chapman T-Shirt from the Reds website after I see what number he'll be wearing. I've been a huge fan of his since the first time I saw him pitch at the World Baseball Classic. I was in awe at how nasty his stuff was. I'm just amazed that he's now a Cincinnati Red.

Re: Jeff Passan of Yahoo: Reds to sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman?

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Keep him away from Dusty for as long as possible

Same thought popped in my head at first. but with price aboard i feel dusty will have less say in pitchers.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Re: Jeff Passan of Yahoo: Reds to sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Same thought popped in my head at first. but with price aboard i feel dusty will have less say in pitchers.
    I hope that's not just wishful thinking.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

Bravo. Kudos to Bob, Walt and the rest of the front office.

Lots of risk but these are the kind of moves that a franchise like Cincy needs to make. This team has a great core for the next 5-6 years and needs to continue to add to that timeframe.

This is the kind of team that the city can watch grow. Hopefully they stick with them and appreciate the potential.

Just a wonderful day in Reds land. I haven't been this excited for a pitcher since Bailey's opener. This signing offically has me back onboard for the upcoming season.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

High five!

Question, I've only read and never heard about him. How does one pronounce "Aroldis?"

I think I've got "Chapman" down!

Now, if only, in order to make room on the 40 man roster for Chapman, the Reds traded Willie Taveras. Or is that too much to ask for in one day?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Question, I've only read and never heard about him. How does one pronounce "Aroldis?"

uh-ROLL-dus would be my guess.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 01-10-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Wow this is amazing news. I would never believed the Reds even would have had a shot at at Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

I think the WBC announcers went with Uh-rall-dis?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

His full name is Albertin Aroldis Chapman de la Cruz.

Turn Off Ads?