Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

Sha la la la la la live for today. And don't worry bout 2014, hey hey hey.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Now, if only, in order to make room on the 40 man roster for Chapman, the Reds traded Willie Taveras. Or is that too much to ask for in one day?
    ä-rOl-d'Es is my guess based on nothing more than a few years of high school Spanish. Soft "a", hard "o" and hard "e" sounds for the vowels.
    Last edited by paintmered; 01-10-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    His full name is Albertin Aroldis Chapman de la Cruz.
    It's a little much, but it won't be long before all the baseball guys are calling him "Chappy".
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'm still giddy.

I really hope he pans out. Even if he doesn't, what it clearly illustrates is a strategy not employed by this organization in decades.

They've forked over some serious cash to some serious young Latin talent over the last couple of years. I definitely applaud that.

I still want a Shortstop though, and won't be 100% happy until they acquire one.

This is a big step towards winning me back. Make no mistake.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    It's a little much, but it won't be long before all the baseball guys are calling him "Chappy".
    My money's on "A-Rol" ...

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I'm still giddy.

I really hope he pans out. Even if he doesn't, what it clearly illustrates is a strategy not employed by this organization in decades.

They've forked over some serious cash to some serious young Latin talent over the last couple of years. I definitely applaud that.

I still want a Shortstop though, and won't be 100% happy until they acquire one.

This is a big step towards winning me back. Make no mistake.
    Same here. I think if someone just walked up and punched me in the gut right now for no reason I would just smile. I'm just so happy right now.

The newer deal, 5/25 with option, isn't quite as sweet as the 6/30 was. If Chapman is a big star he'll turn down the option and we'll only control his salary for 5 yrs. If he's a bust, he'll exercise and cost us 6 again.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-10-2010 at 07:02 PM.

It's funny to go back and read all of our responses to the original "Reds sent scouts to watch Chapman throw" thread. I was as skeptical as anyone, and for the first time in my life my interest in the Reds was beginning to wane a bit. I feel like I just got defibrillated from a unresponsive "fan" coma or something. I can't stop smiling!
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Fantastic news. Keep stocking that young pitching with upside Walt. Awesome.

I have Chapmania. I think it's contagious.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    x2

Who are these Reds and why are they making smart moves to improve the team?!? It's been so long since we've been able to celebrate a move like this that I honestly don't know how to react to it.

I do know that I'm 50% less disaffected with the Reds now than I was ten minutes ago. Massive kudos to Walt and BCast for this one.
    I don’t either, but I love the creativeness and proactive forward thinking and direction of it all.

This is the kind of thing we've all dreamed of - wonderful news!!
    Last edited by wally post; 01-10-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    It's funny to go back and read all of our responses to the original "Reds sent scouts to watch Chapman throw" thread. I was as skeptical as anyone, and for the first time in my life my interest in the Reds was beginning to wane a bit. I feel like I just got defibrillated from a unresponsive "fan" coma or something. I can't stop smiling!
    Yep that thread needs to be sent to the Hall of Fame for the original responses. I think everyone felt the same way those posters did.

I just hope Bailey, Chapman and Cueto can be just as successful as Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine were for the Braves.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yep that thread needs to be sent to the Hall of Fame for the original responses. I think everyone felt the same way those posters did.
    Oh most definitely. I certainly did anyway. In fact, I sat back and laughed at some of the jokes in there. Laughed in a sort of sad, masochistic kind of way that is since I was thinking how badly it sucked to be a Reds fan and how most of the jokes were funny because they were true. Welp...look now, I get to laugh about the Reds and actually be HAPPY!
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?