Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan of Yahoo: Reds to sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman?

Someone just updated his Wikpedia page to say he signed with the Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I haven't followed this kid much (or the story) but if I remember reading a story about him earlier this winter...isn't he still pretty raw? Are we expecting him to slot right into the rotation right away or will he start at AA/AAA? I figure others here have followed this much more closer.
    I've certainly been critical enough of the team, but I'm willing to give credit when credit is due. If true, I love this deal and the gamble behind the move. I will not be critical of this move, even if it happens to blow up completely. I love the agressiveness and the willingness to take the chance.

Not sure if he goes directly into the rotation of to the minors. If they thing he is Cincy-ready, I'd say either Harang or Arroyo will go. This move would certainly give this club a lot of versatility over the next year or two.

Bailey, Volquez, Cueto, Chapman, Wood, Maloney and even Leake gives the Reds an outstanding nucleus of young starters who could all be ready yo compete for the rotation by 2011.

I don't remember a depth of quality young arms like this in my lifetime as a Reds fan. I hope Price can work wonders with this group. Please be true!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    You gave a pretty good summary of his scouting report. He has great stuff, but average to below average control. He also throws his off speed stuff from a different arm slot than his fastball, making it easy to pick up, and could use a third pitch. But he's a lefty that can hit the high 90's and sits at around 93-95 MPH. TOR stuff, but not there yet.

If the Reds do sign him, I imagine he competes for the 5th spot in the rotation, and goes down to AAA if he doesn't win it.
    Thanks. Seems like if we are actually investing this much in him we should be patient and keep in AA/AAA to get him more comfortable with the US game and work on mechanics/extra pitch/etc.

Six million per year for a lefty with TOR potential is the kind of risk that makes sense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    You gave a pretty good summary of his scouting report. He has great stuff, but average to below average control. He also throws his off speed stuff from a different arm slot than his fastball, making it easy to pick up, and could use a third pitch. But he's a lefty that can hit the high 90's and sits at around 93-95 MPH. TOR stuff, but not there yet.

If the Reds do sign him, I imagine he competes for the 5th spot in the rotation, and goes down to AAA if he doesn't win it.
    Sounds like a job for Super Mario!

I'd send him to AA or AAA just for the purpose of working on a change.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-10-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Six million per year for a lefty with TOR potential is the kind of risk that makes sense.
    Yes indeed.

When I first saw Chapman pitch in the World Baseball Classic, I was absolutely stunned at how great his stuff was. I said at the time that his stuff reminded me of Randy Johnson's. He's still raw but his upside is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yes indeed.

When I first saw Chapman pitch in the World Baseball Classic, I was absolutely stunned at how great his stuff was. I said at the time that his stuff reminded me of Randy Johnson's. He's still raw but his upside is incredible.
    And unless he gets significantly injured, that potential isn't likely to go away. If after a year or two, it's not working out, he's still young enough to be a very tradeable asset.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Damn this would be freaking sweet. Would have to give the Reds some major props if it truly comes to pass.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Wow -- shocked doesn't even begin to describe this if it's true. So out of character for the Reds. But, in a really good way.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Eliminating NL Central teams on Chapman -- Brewers source: "Not the Brewers."

http://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/status/7601399472

I love this, absolutely love it. This kid has a special arm. The kind of risk a team like the Reds has to take, if they want to build a consistent winner.

Kudos to the front office and ownership. They're getting after it.

Here's what's exciting for me about this. It's not about them spending money. The overall budget isn't likely to increase. It's not that they give a pitcher a long term contract.

It's that this contract has upside. The player can be better than his contract. Maybe way better. The Harang, Arroyo, Rolen contracts can only break-even at best.

Plus it didn't cost them players or draft picks.

IF this comes to pass (notice, please, the capital letters), would the Reds then own the best young rotation top-to-bottom in baseball? TOR stuff 1-3 for sure, with MOR starters at 4 and 5. (Not to mention the TOR guy coming back from injury at the end of this year, nor the top prospect in AA.)

That would be... pretty cool.

Wow, sort of cool to see how Twitter is fitting in with breaking news and rumors in baseball. This is really the first time I've seen a Reds story develop like this in real time by using a medium like Twitter.

No interest AT ALL from the Yanks and BoSox makes me wonder about whether or not this guy is legit. Usually those teams are outbidding everyone for a guy like Chapman.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Turn Off Ads?