Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

Considering there is a hole at #5 right now, I don't think its inconceivable to have him vying for the #5 hole out of ST. Even if he isn't fully ready, they could put him in there to take his hits, like they did with Cueto in 08. Cueto wasn't fully ready, but the major league experience proved invaluable
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

Whats the word on Volquez and when he will be ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Vis. Dusty "ruining" pitchers: I think the odds are reasonably good that Dusty won't even manage this kid.
    I agree. Dusty will never see him except, maybe, in the spring. I expect him to go to AA to start the year.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Nah, I think Dusty is here for the long haul.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Re: Jeff Passan of Yahoo: Reds to sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But Maloney won't bring anything back. Wood could be a key piece in a package for an actual good player.
    Wood's really just had one good year. I doubt he has all that much value. Keep em both and put one in the pen. We'll need another lefty after Rhodes goes.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Dusty's gone by the end of the year and it could be before July is done. No way they give him more money. I'm not a Dusty hater, but there are a lot better options than him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    If they tank this season, he's gone.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Reds who were born in Cuba

Code:
    CINCINNATI REDS
    CAREER
    Non P
    BIRTHPLACE: CUBA
    OPS displayed only--not a sorting criteria

AT BATS                         AB       OPS    
    1    Tony Perez                 6846     .820   
    2    Leo Cardenas               4047     .690   
    3    Armando Marsans            1113     .702   
    4    Chico Ruiz                 1024     .572   
    5    Manuel Cueto                336     .629   
    6    Rafael Almeida              285     .725   
    7    Mike Gonzalez               176     .560   
    8    Tony Gonzalez                99     .621   
    9    Cookie Rojas                 86     .546   
    10   Rogelio Alvarez              37     .400   
    11   Joe Azcue                    31     .248   
    12   Danny Morejon                26     .592   
    13   Mike de la Hoz                1     .000   

CINCINNATI REDS
    CAREER

BIRTHPLACE: CUBA
    ERA displayed only--not a sorting criteria

GAMES                            G       ERA    
    1    Dolf Luque                  395     3.09   
    2    Orlando Pena                 59     4.28   
    3    Raul Sanchez                 46     4.79   
    4    Pedro Ramos                  38     5.16   
    5    Osvaldo Fernandez            35     5.26   
    6    Tommy de la Cruz             34     3.25   
    7    Vincente Amor                 9     6.00   
    8    Pedro Dibut                   8     2.68   
    9    Camilo Pascual                5     9.00   
    10   Tony Menendez                 3     1.93   
    11   Mike Cuellar                  2    15.75

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Dusty's gone by the end of the year and it could be before July is done. No way they give him more money. I'm not a Dusty hater, but there are a lot better options than him.
    I don't think Dusty has much of a say in regards to the pitching staff. If he did the Reds wouldn't have fired Pole and hired Price as the pitching coach. I think what Price says in regards to the pitchers will override what Dusty says.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Wow. Very surprised and quite pleased with this move. I was expecting the Reds offseason to be a complete bust and this changes that vibe completely. Even though the kid may not help the MLB team out much this year, he'll be important in future years. I wish year 6 was a team option, though.

I'd prefer he spend the year in the minors...at least until September. Otherwise, I think he'd be rushed.

I do like the way the future looks for the Reds, but 2010 could be another less than inspiring year in Cincinnati.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Must admit I only skimmed the thread, so if i am repeating thoughts, i apologize. But when flipping around during the NFL playoffs, I saw this break around 2:45 pm on ESPNews and I have to admit, I got pumped...this is so out of the ordinary for a team like ours and is great news heading towards the winter caravan...sure it might not mean much in '10--but I sure in the heck am looking forward to the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If they tank this season, he's gone.
    Which I don't see happening. I realize your the pessimist and I'm the optimist, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

I would love to see the Reds stick him in the minors to start the year and let him work on secondary pitches and control. Then, if the Reds are near contention and he's doing well give him a call up and stick him in the bull pen. Let him use his plus pitches to hopefully gain some confidence and help the team out at the back of the game. Then hopefully transition him over to the rotation in 2011.

I was already getting impatient for spring training, now I'm going to be insane with anticipation......waiting, waiting, waiting.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Turn Off Ads?