Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials T

But he was pitching in the majors at 25, contributing. Not TOR, but his K numbers were very promising.
    Chapman will be in the majors by April 2011 at the latest, from the sounds of things. More likely this year. Of course, we'll have to see how that goes....

And for my money, he's going to be a lot of fun to watch, no matter how polished he is. He's just one of those talents.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials T

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    IN the presser, a question was asked about getting his family here. I saw in one of the stories that he has a child with his girlfriend. I would think that would be a big boost, if he could get his family here. Of course, that may be a tough road to hoe to get his family out of Cuba, if they would even want to. One thing I'll never get, a country that holds its people captive, that is, but that's a discussion for the Peanut Gallery.
    I'm wondering if he could buy their way out of there.

Everything has a price ya know.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 01-12-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I'm wondering if he could buy their way out of there.

Everything has a price ya know.
    How? I am being honest, I have no idea how you get a person out of Cuba without hoping on a raft. Can they travel to the Dominican and then apply for political asylum?

I hope he doesn't start the season with the Reds. I would much rather see him get acclimated to the US before I throw him into the fire. With the exception of the WBC and pitching sessions before scouts there isn't a whole lot known about him baseball wise. I really think it will take several months to really get an understanding of where he is pitching wise.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How? I am being honest, I have no idea how you get a person out of Cuba without hoping on a raft. Can they travel to the Dominican and then apply for political asylum?

Pay off the Cuban government.

I have no idea, I'm just throwing the idea out there.

Bottom line is everything has a price.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

One thing I'm actually excited about is that he DOESN'T know MLB players. Too many of our pitchers start to shake in their cleats when Pujols, Berkman, Lee, Aramis, Fielder, Braun and others come up to bat. It would be just like any other player to him.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Yahoo blogger suggests Reds want Baker to defect before bringing up Chapman to the majors.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,212698

Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    I think it's interesting that Walt specifically mentions Harang and Arroyo. Makes it harder to turn around and get rid of them.
    I still think Walt is going to retain one of Harang or Arroyo. I'm guessing Arroyo is extended. It really makes sense as long as Bronson is still producing. Bronson wants to play here, produces, and isn't out to get top FA money.
    I know the "veteran influence" is not always considered valuable on this board, but Walt values it.

It just doesn't seem like Walt's MO to dump both Harang and Arroyo after this year. He's the type of guy that keeps the key veterans and adds to them.

I could see Harang possibly walking or getting traded, but my guess is that Arroyo stays around for a few more years. OTOH, if Harang has a strong year, the Reds may keep him too. So many clubs dump veteran talent at the trading deadline now that it's hard to get good value, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

From Fay:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...tract-details/

The Associated Press is reporting the details of the Aroldis Chapman’s contract. It’s complicated:

–Chapman gets $1.5 million of his signing bonus when his contract is approved by Major League Baseball, $1.5 million each Nov. 1 from 2010 to 2013 and $1.25 million each Nov. 1 from 2014 to 2020.

–Chapman gets annual salaries of $1 million this year and next, $2 million each in 2012 and 2013 and $3 million in 2014. Within five days of the 2014 World Series, he must decide whether to exercise a $5 million player option for 2015.

–If Chapman is eligible for salary arbitration after the 2012 season, he would get $5 million converted to a bonus and become eligible for arbitration.

–If he is arbitration eligible after the 2013 season, he would get $3 million converted to a bonus and then be eligible for arbitration.
    Hard to understand, but it looks like the Reds have around five million reasons to keep Chapman in AAA, at least for the first half of this season.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    From Fay:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...tract-details/

Hard to understand, but it looks like the Reds have around five million reasons to keep Chapman in AAA, at least for the first half of this season.
    If he shows up and his play demands he be in the rotation thats fine by me. Pay him his 5 mil bonus and deal with arby. If he isnt ready send him to Louisville. Don't send him to Louisville to just to keep from him hitting arby sooner. Do whats best for the team not the payroll.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If he shows up and his play demands he be in the rotation thats fine by me. Pay him his 5 mil bonus and deal with arby. If he isnt ready send him to Louisville. Don't send him to Louisville to just to keep from him hitting arby sooner. Do whats best for the team not the payroll.
    this is the Reds.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

So it's a 5 year deal?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    So it's a 5 year deal?
    With a player option. That makes it a 6 year deal for $30M since the only way he wouldn't pickup the option is if he thinks he can get more money as a free agent, meaning he'll get paid at least that. The key difference, is that the Reds may not be paying that last $5M.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I agree. Just stating the facts.

I can't remember a move the Reds have made that has given me more hope. It's really funny how that works.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    With a player option. That makes it a 6 year deal for $30M since the only way he wouldn't pickup the option is if he thinks he can get more money as a free agent, meaning he'll get paid at least that. The key difference, is that the Reds may not be paying that last $5M.
    From the Cincy standpoint it is a five year deal. Which makes the title and reports a little misleading. Those are usually described as a 5 year deal with a player option, not a 6 year deal.

Turn Off Ads?