Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials T

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    this is the Reds.
    He shows up and is the real deal, and you name him as the 4 or 5th starter you bring a very real potential of having guarenteed sale outs for the first few starts as EVERYONE would want to see the crown jewel of the offseason pitch. He could very easily make up and earn the added salary if marketed right and indeed ready immediately. Ive only seen the "highlight reels" of him pitching so I can't say he is or isnt. Doug and others would be better qualified for that, I am just saying the marketing potential is there to make that 5 mil a moot point... if played right.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials T

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    He shows up and is the real deal, and you name him as the 4 or 5th starter you bring a very real potential of having guarenteed sale outs for the first few starts as EVERYONE would want to see the crown jewel of the offseason pitch. He could very easily make up and earn the added salary if marketed right and indeed ready immediately. Ive only seen the "highlight reels" of him pitching so I can't say he is or isnt. Doug and others would be better qualified for that, I am just saying the marketing potential is there to make that 5 mil a moot point... if played right.
    Increased attendance on certain pitchers starts is a myth. You'll get a small spike, but not the fringe fans.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic about this move, as is everyone. The question I have is, does it make you more excited for the 2010 season? For me, it doesn't change my outlook on it much, other than the excitement of maybe seeing him pitch for the first time, but I still don't see this team as a contender in 2010. Is the fact that this signing gives hope that the FO is trying to create a winner giving more people excitement?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    It took Randy Johnson longer than that. Then again, Johnson was not the athlete Chapman is.
    Johnson and Chapman are both leftys. They tend to develop later, don't they?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Increased attendance on certain pitchers starts is a myth. You'll get a small spike, but not the fringe fans.
    What about the increase from revenues of jersey sales, concessions, etc on top of that if he shows he is the real deal and has maybe a good not great season? This Red fan along with many others I know have been begging for anything to get excited about the Reds.

You could easily make that 5 mil back over the course of the 3 years. If he came in and showed the immediate return on investment teams like the Yanks, Sox, Angels didnt see in him. If the Reds have anyone with a darn in marketing I'm sure they already have stuff in the works IF they dont with all the young talent we have they need to clean house and start over in the marketing department. I haven't seen a Reds team this marketable since the mid 90s. Especially with a growing hispanic/latino groups all across america.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    From the Cincy standpoint it is a five year deal. Which makes the title and reports a little misleading. Those are usually described as a 5 year deal with a player option, not a 6 year deal.
    It doesn't say that he'll be eligible for free agency after 5 seasons, and he wouldn't be unless it's specified in the contract. I'd guess he'd still be under Reds control and arbitration eligible until he's accumulated 6 years of major league service time unless you get further details that contradict it.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Johnson and Chapman are both leftys. They tend to develop later, don't they?
    Anecdotally, maybe. But really, I'd hardly call Johnson's arrival to the majors "late" at age 24. Johnson's career trajectory was 3 years in the minors--not dominating, but very strong--then a cup of coffee in the majors at 24, then full time starting in his age-25 season.

Too bad he's a lefty- the Reds need a shortstop, dangit!
    That's about all I can come up with in this new bizzarro, Reds act like Boston world.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    What about the increase from revenues of jersey sales, concessions, etc on top of that if he shows he is the real deal and has maybe a good not great season? This Red fan along with many others I know have been begging for anything to get excited about the Reds.
    Every jersey he sells, the Reds only get 1/30 of it. Same with Pujols or A-Rod or Jeter.

You could easily make that 5 mil back over the course of the 3 years. If he came in and showed the immediate return on investment teams like the Yanks, Sox, Angels didnt see in him. If the Reds have anyone with a darn in marketing I'm sure they already have stuff in the works IF they dont with all the young talent we have they need to clean house and start over in the marketing department. I haven't seen a Reds team this marketable since the mid 90s. Especially with a growing hispanic/latino groups all across america.
    In the long term, I think WOY is right about 1 pitcher causing an attendance spike. Short term, I do think it happens. Witness Fernandomania and Mark "The Bird" Fidrych. But after a season I don't think Reds fans are going to turn out for any particular pitcher if the team is still bad or mediocre.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Every jersey he sells, the Reds only get 1/30 of it. Same with Pujols or A-Rod or Jeter.

In the long term, I think WOY is right about 1 pitcher causing an attendance spike. Short term, I do think it happens. Witness Fernandomania and Mark "The Bird" Fidrych. But after a season I don't think Reds fans are going to turn out for any particular pitcher if the team is still bad or mediocre.
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A9639C8B63
    June 19, 2005
    BASEBALL: KEEPING SCORE; When the Stars Come Out, Do the Fans Follow?
    By ALAN SCHWARZ
    For once, the cheers drowned out the airplanes. As Pedro Martínez stared down another strikeout from atop the Shea Stadium mound this month against the Astros, Fran Healy, the Mets television announcer, beheld the growing cacophony.

''You put Pedro on the mound, he's one of those pitchers who will draw people to the ballpark,'' Healy raved, seconds before the third strike led to even greater bedlam. ''That's what gets people out to the ballpark!''

Sure enough, Martínez has put a heartbeat back into Flushing this season, with the evidence right there in the attendance column: The average Shea Stadium crowd for Martínez's eight home starts (39,054) has been almost 5,500 fans larger than for games without him (33,579).

He is one of the biggest pitching draws in the majors, along with the Houston Astros' Roger Clemens, who since joining his home-state club has drawn an average of about 2,300 extra fans.

It is common belief -- and not necessarily false -- that charismatic pitchers like Martínez and Clemens increase their employers' attendance figures. But evidence suggests that the phenomenon may be considerably weaker than most people think.

From 1980 through last season, the pitchers whose attendance figures outpaced their clubs' averages the most during their careers -- among pitchers with at least 75 home starts -- were, in fact, attractive draws: Tom Seaver (3,295 more fans, primarily for the Reds and the White Sox); Mario Soto (3,088 with the Reds); and Dwight Gooden (3,038, primarily for the Mets and the Yankees).

Lower down the top 10 sit Steve Carlton, Nolan Ryan and Fernando Valenzuela.

So everything looks normal. Then again, the Nos. 4 and 5 draws were the nondescript journeymen Larry McWilliams and Bruce Ruffin, whose starts attracted about 2,800 more than their teams' averages. Either those pitchers left a lot of tickets at will-call, or the group is not quite what it seems.

The top 10 list of more recent pitchers, those from 1999 to 2004, similarly finds Randy Johnson sharing territory with the underwhelming Jamie Moyer and Rick Helling. Martínez, a hugely popular player in Boston during that time, would probably have made the list, but the Red Sox sold out almost every game anyway.

The president of the Astros, Tal Smith, is skeptical about any real influence pitchers have on attendance. Smith not only has Clemens now, but he also employed Ryan during his homecoming in the early 1980's. Smith said he believed that a top pitcher redistributed attendance more than lifted it.

''Fernando Valenzuela had a dramatic effect with the Dodgers during Fernandomania,'' Smith said. ''But otherwise, I'm of the opinion that fans are saying, 'Let's go to the ballgame this week,' and then they'll check to see who's pitching, and go that day.

''But would they have come the previous night or the next night? They might come one day instead of the other.''

Indeed, Clemens does not appear to help Houston's attendance on days when it draws well anyway. In his weekend starts, his average crowd (38,481) was actually smaller than those for such games without him (39,385).

He seems to have heightened interest only during the week, particularly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, when most teams draw relatively poorly. On those days, he has drawn about an additional 4,000 fans on Tuesday and 5,000 on Wednesday.

Smith said Clemens received a bonus of about $1.5 million last year based on how he affected attendance, and such clauses are nothing new.

According to the author Mark Lamster, the star pitcher Albert Spalding was promised 55 percent of the profits of the Chicago White Stockings to jump to the new National League in 1876. (Then again, Spalding did pitch every game.) Throughout the 1940's, Bob Feller had a significant percentage of his salary tied to the Indians' attendance.

Few pitchers ever drew quite like Mark Fidrych, the Detroit Tigers' quirky right-hander known as the Bird. He captivated baseball during the summer of 1976, attracting almost 20,000 extra fans during his 18 home starts.

Just heard about the news; the Rolen deal clearly helped make this signing possible. We'll have a very talented pitching rotation, especially when Volquez comes back. We can now deal from a position of strength as far as trading Harang or Arroyo; make a trade if it makes the team better, or decline if they ask too much. Does anyone know who was removed on the 40 man to make room for Chapman?

IIRC, the Homer Bailey "Homermania" attendance spike wore off pretty durn fast.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    IIRC, the Homer Bailey "Homermania" attendance spike wore off pretty durn fast.
    The Homer hype was huge at the time. I didn't go to the game but it was the last baseball game my friends and I made plans to go and watch.

The Chapman hype will be huge as well. But lets not forget that one Reds rookie took a no hitter into the 6th inning before giving up his first hit. The next home game 26000 people showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    But lets not forget that one Reds rookie took a no hitter into the 6th inning before giving up his first hit. The next home game 26000 people showed up.
    Which is 5K more than the Reds average and 15K less than the Cardinals average, hardly anything to get excited about.

In fact when I look at that way it's depressing.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Just heard about the news; the Rolen deal clearly helped make this signing possible. We'll have a very talented pitching rotation, especially when Volquez comes back. We can now deal from a position of strength as far as trading Harang or Arroyo; make a trade if it makes the team better, or decline if they ask too much. Does anyone know who was removed on the 40 man to make room for Chapman?
    I'm pretty sure that Gomes being non-tendered made the room. We've been at 39 for a while now.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?