Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials T

Kudos to Reds.com for putting together a series of great articles on the Chapman signing. Check out the link for all of their Chapman coverage:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials T

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Sadly, I don't think this is too far out of the realms of possibility. I can see Bob getting very antsy and feeling the heat if the Reds are, likely sinking fast in June/July. I mean, he did open his checkbook very wide for this kid.
    Do you mean like signing a prospect, and taking the opportunity to have a Reds PR moment over signing the prospect? Leaving the fans to infer that the young man might make a major impact on this years Reds team or next?

And it's not like they haven't brought up the next savior before.
    Something to generate and to tease fan excitement.

But when I keep hearing "command issues" and "fix a few things in his delivery" it doesn't inspire confidence the kid will take the mound and dominate. Let him develop and acclimate to his new life. Maybe he'll be ready for MLB day 1, but for the love of god, don't rush him to satisfy a pushy owner.
    Doesn’t it boil down to, that they think, that they signed what they believe is a good prospect and took that opportunity for a Reds PR moment?

"I keep hearing command issues and fix a few things in his delivery"

Still a prospect isn’t he?

Agree. Without a few more corresponding moves I don't see this team being in the hunt. The FO will likely couch the singing as a "see we're serious" move, which is understandable. Bob is likely to pressure Walt, IMO, to bring up the wunderkid if the Reds are in trouble in June/July.
    Doesn't the "wunderkid" have to get through whatever levels above what Cuban players play in first before he is ready for the majors?

Their not addressing the present teams needs as much as they are attempting to address future needs with the signing of this promising prospect are they? Isn't that what each of the general managers worked to do by drafting, trading for, signing prospects throughout the past?

Signing a "wunder kid" and promoting the buzz about him, kind of detracts from what hasn't been done doesn't it?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-14-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Reds signing Chapman shows small-market teams can come up big
    Posted 26m ago

By Jorge L. Ortiz, USA TODAY

In signing highly coveted Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman to a six-year, $30 million contract Monday, the Cincinnati Reds might have struck a blow for baseball's small-market teams.

Just don't tell that to the Oakland Athletics, who are looking to fill holes at shortstop and third base despite offering more lucrative contracts than their wealthier competitors to Marco Scutaro and Adrian Beltre.

The Chapman sweepstakes stands as the biggest surprise in a strange offseason for lower-revenue clubs, as they outbid deep-pocket teams such as the Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Angels. Both ranked in the top six in opening-day payroll last season, at more than $113 million each, while the Reds were 20th at $71 million.

"When you look at the size of the market here in Cincinnati, we have to take some bold moves from time to time to try to improve this franchise," general manager Walt Jocketty said.

Some might look at the Reds' acquisition as proof the revenue-sharing system works, but the large-market clubs still have an advantage. Oakland, which made the playoffs five times in the last decade but hasn't had a winning season since 2006, saw Scutaro and Beltre accept smaller deals to join Boston.

"It can be frustrating at times, but it's not just us," GM Billy Beane said. "The same thing happens in places like Kansas City and Cleveland. We're not the only ones who face that challenge."

He said it makes sense for small-market teams to go after unproven amateurs such as Chapman, whom the A's ardently pursued, because they could prove a better long-term investment than established free agents.

Last week, the Kansas City Royals finalized a five-year, $6.9 million deal with another Cuban lefty, Noel Arguelles.

Chapman, who defected in July and turns 22 next month, said until recently that he had not heard of the Reds or their Hall of Famer Tony Perez, who was born and raised in Cuba.

"I'd like to learn about the new life I'll live here and get used to the culture," he said in Spanish. "I want to give the Cincinnati team my best, train hard and learn the language as soon as possible."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ontent=Twitter

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Do you mean like signing a prospect, and taking the opportunity to have a Reds PR moment over signing the prospect? Leaving the fans to infer that the young man might make a major impact on this years Reds team or next?

Doesn’t it boil down to, that they think, that they signed what they believe is a good prospect and took that opportunity for a Reds PR moment?

Doesn't the "wunderkid" have to get through whatever levels above what Cuban players play in first before he is ready for the majors?

Their not addressing the present teams needs as much as they are attempting to address future needs with the signing of this promising prospect are they? Isn't that what each of the general managers worked to do by drafting, trading for, signing prospects throughout the past?

Signing a "wunder kid" and promoting the buzz about him, kind of detracts from what hasn't been done doesn't it?
    no, yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no, maybe, I don't know, perhaps, no, yes. :
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

This guy sounds a tad jealous. From Roxhead.com.

There is a future spoiled brat brewing in Cincinnati. Before pitcher Aroldis Chapman, who defected from Cuba last year and is only 21 years old, signed his deal for about $30 million over five years he is rumored to have said that if he had to settle for $20 million, then he should have stayed in Cuba.

Good luck with that mess Cincinnati.

Oh, and I'll go ahead and predict now that Chapman won't have 10 career wins in MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    There is a future spoiled brat brewing in Cincinnati. Before pitcher Aroldis Chapman, who defected from Cuba last year and is only 21 years old, signed his deal for about $30 million over five years he is rumored to have said that if he had to settle for $20 million, then he should have stayed in Cuba.

Good luck with that mess Cincinnati.

Oh, and I'll go ahead and predict now that Chapman won't have 10 career wins in MLB.
    Ten wins? That's less than David Clyde and Todd Van Poppel. Definitely sour grapes.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Kudos to Reds.com for putting together a series of great articles on the Chapman signing. Check out the link for all of their Chapman coverage:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Love this quote from the article.

"We're still scouting those places very hard," Buckley said. "We're thrilled to have Aroldis, but we're on to the next project."

Suddenly it seems like a little light is starting to crack through the dark of Reds Baseball.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I truly regret opening that website. That is just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I truly regret opening that website. That is just awful.
    I didn't even waste my time visiting that website.

I wonder what pedigree would be acceptable to one who espouses those "thoughts."
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post

All good points. I was amazed at how one signing could make so many fans excited about the Reds. One thing is clear, no matter how good Chapman is, he alone will not turn the Reds into contenders. And it is very doubtful he will have any real effect on 2010.

But one of the reasons why this is so exciting, and worth the promotion, is that this kind of signing is a clear departure from what us fans expected the Reds to do. We are expecting the Reds to draft the most signable player, not the best. We are expecting the Reds to sign free agents with no ceiling, but who are merely stopgaps. And most important, we are used to the Reds signing players to contracts where there is almost no way for the player to provide excess value.

Sure there is risk in this signing, and it is about the future more than the present, but that is the kind of signing that this organization needs to do more often, and have done so rarely in the past. If the Reds keep making moves like this one, they will be contenders in the near future.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    All good points. I was amazed at how one signing could make so many fans excited about the Reds. One thing is clear, no matter how good Chapman is, he alone will not turn the Reds into contenders. And it is very doubtful he will have any real effect on 2010.

But one of the reasons why this is so exciting, and worth the promotion, is that this kind of signing is a clear departure from what us fans expected the Reds to do. We are expecting the Reds to draft the most signable player, not the best. We are expecting the Reds to sign free agents with no ceiling, but who are merely stopgaps. And most important, we are used to the Reds signing players to contracts where there is almost no way for the player to provide excess value.

Sure there is risk in this signing, and it is about the future more than the present, but that is the kind of signing that this organization needs to do more often, and have done so rarely in the past. If the Reds keep making moves like this one, they will be contenders in the near future.
    *signed*

Agreed 100%. Often, owners/pundits/etc. simply don't give fans enough credit. They listen to the vocal minority who calls in to sports talk radio and thinks we can trade Taveras and change for Zack Greinke. We realize that we can't play in the free agent market alongside the Yankees and Red Sox. What we want to see is that there is a plan. The Chapman signing is evidence that Jocketty has a vision and has a identified a way for us to have a chance -- that hope is what excites fans.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

From Jon Heyman:

Reds expecting Chapman to be superstar

I asked a Reds person why they took a $30 million gamble on Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman, and the response was swift (though maybe not as swift as one of Chapman's 102-mph fastballs).

"Besides throwing fastballs through walls?'' came the response.

Yes?

"Well above average slider... average curve... Seems to really understand the cultural bridge he needs to cross... Perfect pitcher's body... VERY coordinated.''

Is that all?

"Picks up mechanical corrections and repeats ... Relatively low number of innings pitched... VERY clean physical specimen... Seems to ask the right questions... Knows he needs to develop a changeup, so he asked about hooking up with Mario Soto... Out of the chute, he appears to 'get it.'''

The other unspoken reason is that the Reds think this is their best chance to acquire someone who may turn out to be great. To get a proven great player, it can cost $82.5 million (John Lackey's price tag) or even $120 million (Matt Holliday's).

In short, they think Chapman may turn out to be Randy Johnson. And if he does, he's worth a lot more than $30 million.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0cc194M4G

He sounds like a smart guy who is willing to learn and wants to get better. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Jon Heyman:

Reds expecting Chapman to be superstar

I asked a Reds person why they took a $30 million gamble on Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman, and the response was swift (though maybe not as swift as one of Chapman's 102-mph fastballs).

"Besides throwing fastballs through walls?'' came the response.

Yes?

"Well above average slider... average curve... Seems to really understand the cultural bridge he needs to cross... Perfect pitcher's body... VERY coordinated.''

Is that all?

"Picks up mechanical corrections and repeats ... Relatively low number of innings pitched... VERY clean physical specimen... Seems to ask the right questions... Knows he needs to develop a changeup, so he asked about hooking up with Mario Soto... Out of the chute, he appears to 'get it.'''

The other unspoken reason is that the Reds think this is their best chance to acquire someone who may turn out to be great. To get a proven great player, it can cost $82.5 million (John Lackey's price tag) or even $120 million (Matt Holliday's).

In short, they think Chapman may turn out to be Randy Johnson. And if he does, he's worth a lot more than $30 million.
    Someone joked earlier in the thread about having dreamed we signed Chapman and proceeded to quote from Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, writing off to "an undigested bit of beef," etc. I'd add another quote from the same story, "I'm as giddy as a drunken man!" (although I had thought it was "giddy as a schoolgirl"). Giddy is the right word. I really hope our aspirations for this kid come to fruition.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

I feel like this is the first time I've ever seen a thread on RedsZone where EVERYONE agrees that this is a good move. Some may disagree about when Chapman will arrive, or about whether he'll adapt well--but it seems like there is pretty much a consensus that this is a great, great move by Walt. Not without risk, to be sure, but a great, great move.

I just wanted to say that. Good times. Carry on.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Turn Off Ads?