Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

Rumored to be roughly twice the cost of Strasburg. No wonder owners love the draft.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

Yeah Baby!!

Coolest thing the Reds have done in a LONG time.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Can he hit?
    Moves Micah to LF.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Do we have to re-do our prospect rankings?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Do we have to re-do our prospect rankings?
    Yes. More on that later.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

OH MY GOD! *faints from the shock*

I'd heard the rumors, but I didn't think there was any chance of it being true! WOW! I guess that's ONE way to redeem an offseason. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Its official, the Reds now have serious young pitching depth.

Bailey
    Cueto
    Chapman
    Volquez
    Leake

I am stoked!!!
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

i just read all 250 comments on this story at MLB Trade Rumors. people all think it was a ton of money for someone who is raw and needs time at AA/AAA. However most were disappointed their team didn't get Chapman.
    people are wondering what the Reds plan is. (aren't we all). are the Reds stacking the deck for 2011? are the Reds gonna move Arroyo or Harang to free up cash now that we have signed Chapman??

I am flabbergasted.

Beflummoxed.

Stunned.

I have been as mad at Cast as anyone, but props to him for okaying this, and Jocketty for getting it done.

Puts a real spring in my step for the upcoming camp. Wow. A power lefty to project into a Cueto and Bailey rotation? Yes please. Yes. Please.

if chapman becomes even just an average major league pitcher 6million a year is a bargain. love the deal, now move arroyo or harang for a SS and we will be heading to the playoffs by 2011!

At six million a year, guy is a lot cheaper than a big league TOR starter. His first year or even two may be in the minors, but the overall outlay of funds makes sense.

Of course, the signals are strong that Harang, Arroyo, or both will be gone by the end of 2010, if not sooner.

No doubt that this is an excellent gamble by the Reds. But it presents a dilemma for the sports media which are now faced with prominently mentioning the Reds this off season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-10-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Consider my mind blown. Holy hell.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    OH MY GOD! *faints from the shock*

I'd heard the rumors, but I didn't think there was any chance of it being true! WOW! I guess that's ONE way to redeem an offseason. :O)
    x2

Who are these Reds and why are they making smart moves to improve the team?!? It's been so long since we've been able to celebrate a move like this that I honestly don't know how to react to it.

I do know that I'm 50% less disaffected with the Reds now than I was ten minutes ago. Massive kudos to Walt and BCast for this one.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

They appear to be paying him like they expect 7 WAR over 5 years. Assuming at least 1 yr of the contract is eaten by the minors, that means the break even point would be that of a 1.8 WAR/year pitcher. In other words, they're paying him like he's a 2009 version of Arroyo, Cueto or Doug Davis.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?