Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Extra Point - Why?

Re: The Extra Point - Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If the NFL wanted to discourage field goal use, they could place a limit on how far back the placeholder is allowed to be on a try (say, no more than 3 yards). The idea is that the closer to the line-of-scrimmage that a kicker is, the more they'll have to elevate the ball to avoid a block. This would, theoretically, mean more blocked field goals on longer-range low-trajectory kicks.

I think the folks blocking for the kicker wouldn't like that too much when the kicks hit them in the back.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like the XP. Among other things, it gives the kicker on the sidelines a chance to loosen up his leg before the ensuing kickoff.

2 rule changes I'd like to see:

1) Instead of getting the ball at the 20 on a touchback, give the receiving team the ball at the 30 or 35. There's no disincentive for booming a KO into the endzone. Up the ante a little so that we see more returns on KOs.

2) Give the defense more than 2 points for a safety. If the D tackles the offense in the end zone, they should get at least 3 points. IMO, it should net the same amount of points as a TD. The object of the game is to get the ball into the endzone. Tackling a ball carrier in his own endzone achieves just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If the NFL wanted to discourage field goal use, they could place a limit on how far back the placeholder is allowed to be on a try (say, no more than 3 yards). The idea is that the closer to the line-of-scrimmage that a kicker is, the more they'll have to elevate the ball to avoid a block. This would, theoretically, mean more blocked field goals on longer-range low-trajectory kicks.
    Caveat, your avatar is an Avatar avatar. That's the first Avatar avatar I've seen on the Web. I have no other reason for commenting on it other than to see how many times I can use the word "avatar" in a sentence or two. I challenge anyone to include more.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

If you really want to make things "fun," make the player who scored the touchdown kick the extra point. Another idea is to just get rid of holders.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Make them line up the little metal kicker guy from the vibrating football game. And make him kick the little football that looks like a piece of belly-button lint.

That ought to be a challenge.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Make them line up the little metal kicker guy from the vibrating football game. And make him kick the little football that looks like a piece of belly-button lint.

That ought to be a challenge.
    Or just line up a giant sized "Super Jock" toy kicker. It would give those fat linemen something else to do - jump on the "Super Jock's" head to make him kick the field goal.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Or just line up a giant sized "Super Jock" toy kicker. It would give those fat linemen something else to do - jump on the "Super Jock's" head to make him kick the field goal.
    Perhaps line up a triangular folded piece of paper and flick it with their finger like we used to do in study hall. Your opponent makes a goal post with their fingers. You get extra points if you drill them in their forehead and cackle fiendishly.

Pay attention to the open sky

I'd just like to add I think things are just fine the way they are.

Ask Shayne Graham or Neil Rackers about automatic kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Caveat, your avatar is an Avatar avatar. That's the first Avatar avatar I've seen on the Web. I have no other reason for commenting on it other than to see how many times I can use the word "avatar" in a sentence or two. I challenge anyone to include more.
    Done

In reference to Caveat's avatar, Macro said "Caveat, your avatar is an Avatar avatar. That's the first Avatar avatar I've seen on the Web. I have no other reason for commenting on it other than to see how many times I can use the word "avatar" in a sentence or two. I challenge anyone to include more."

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I think they should get rid of the field goal altogether. No field goals, no extra points; Touchdowns only. And if a team scores a touchdown, they must go for the two point conversion.
    Agreed 100%.

Only kickoffs & punts would remain for the kicking game. Let the game be decided by the real players on the field, this ain't soccer.

In the old World Football League from the 70s, TDs were worth 7 points and you could try a 1 point conversion called, the "Action Point" from the 5 via run or pass.
    Last edited by Chip R; 01-12-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I think extra points are useless. Just make it one point or nothing for what is currently the two point conversion.
    And points awarded for field goals should be worth more the closer you are to the goal line. 3 points for anything within the 20 yard line, 2 from the twenty to the 35 and 1 from further out than that. Nothing bothers me more than seeing a team tie or go ahead late in a close game, only to have some soccer player lace one from 50 yards out to take the victory away. Rewarding a team with a win for driving to the 35 yard line is just wrong.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I don't mind kickers in the real game, but I'd love to eliminate them from fantasy football. Nothing worse than losing in fantasy because of a missed FG.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I think extra points are useless. Just make it one point or nothing for what is currently the two point conversion.
    And points awarded for field goals should be worth more the closer you are to the goal line. 3 points for anything within the 20 yard line, 2 from the twenty to the 35 and 1 from further out than that. Nothing bothers me more than seeing a team tie or go ahead late in a close game, only to have some soccer player lace one from 50 yards out to take the victory away. Rewarding a team with a win for driving to the 35 yard line is just wrong.
    They are being rewarded for being in the game to the point that a short drive can net a game winning FG. Consider the flip side. Why should a team that was behind the entire game be rewarded with a victory because they went ahead late in the game? Why should a team that waited until the very end to go ahead be rewarded with a victory?

As with any game, you make up the rules and the players of the game (owners, GMs, coaches, players) build and strategize based on the rules of the game. It doesn't have to meet some universal standard of fairness.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I like the idea of eliminating extra points and forcing 2 PT conversions. I don't mind FGs, but in an OT game, you should be forced to score a TD.

Turn Off Ads?