Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alonso, Francisco and Frazier

Re: Alonso, Francisco and Frazier

I'd say trade Alonso because he's blocked, and he has the most value. But I would rather see them keep all 3 for now. Rolen is injury prone and one of them could find themselves playing 3B at some point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

[QUOTE=Kc61;2013455]FWIW --

My guess is that Alonso will become the Reds' first baseman with Votto being traded next off-season. Alonso is Walt's guy, his first pick, he will get the full shot.

Even if they are committed to Alonso as the 1B of the future, Votto isn't necessarily gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    I'd say trade Alonso because he's blocked, and he has the most value. But I would rather see them keep all 3 for now. Rolen is injury prone and one of them could find themselves playing 3B at some point.
    Quite true which is the main reason I keep Frazier, he's the 3rd bagger of the future IMO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Quite true which is the main reason I keep Frazier, he's the 3rd bagger of the future IMO.
    In my perfect world, He'd be the Reds 3B by mid season 2010, at the latest. Juan Francisco would play almost every inning in LF at AAA and Alonso is the starting 1B at AAA. That would have kept Stewart in the org As I don't make the trade for Rolen.

I still think that was a bad trade.

Alonso MAY have a ton of upside, but his greatest value may be in a trade. Even if the return is less than Alonso is worth offensively. It may be a key SP, or SS.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    In my perfect world, He'd be the Reds 3B by mid season 2010, at the latest. Juan Francisco would play almost every inning in LF at AAA and Alonso is the starting 1B at AAA. That would have kept Stewart in the org As I don't make the trade for Rolen.

I still think that was a bad trade.

Alonso MAY have a ton of upside, but his greatest value may be in a trade. Even if the return is less than Alonso is worth offensively. It may be a key SP, or SS.
    Word for word Ditto!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'd keep all three, platoon Francisco and Frazier at 3B and trade Rolen.

I wish we would remember that value doesn't mean a player ever logs significant innings as a Red. I don't want B.J. Ryan back as Guzman basically helped renew my interest in the Reds. Hell he was a big reason this board exists.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

It's hard to project when minor league players will get their shot with this team, but stated opinion of the FO is that "letting them bake" is preferable to having them come up a bit raw.

Bailey, Bruce, Stubbs and Juan were "early" callups.

Votto was a bit late IMO.

I like the Votto plan.

Let all 3 of the players in this thread cook for 12 months - Frazier, Alonso, Francisco.

And throw in Heisey, Cozart, Chapman, Wood, Klinker, LeCure, Del Rosario, Ondrusek, Dorn, too!

There aren't any spots they could clearly take anyway.

LF = Baletien, Dickerson, Nix
    CF = Stubbs, Taveras, Dickerson
    3b = Rolen, Rosales, Sutton, Janish
    #5 = Maloney, Lehr, Owings
    Bullpen = Bray, Burton, Lincoln, Herrera, etc.

These veterans will be preferred by Baker and Walt, I would imagine.

It will take an all-out, bust-out performance for any of the players in AAA this year to jump into the bigs ahead of all these vets. The roster is very full. If they add Cabrera and/or Gomes, it will be even more difficult.

Turn Off Ads?