Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it me or could that money have gone elsewhere

Re: Is it me or could that money have gone elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Is it just me, or do people always complain when the Reds are trying to better themselves? They get mad when they don't do something, they get mad when they DO something (Rolen).

damned if you do, damned if you don't
    And this is the perfect counter move for trading a good pitching prospect like Stewart. You bring back an even better one. After reading the full pay structure, we never really pay to much money in a season for Chapman, something like 4 million I believe, unless he dominates and hit arbitration then we will pay a bit more.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    And this is the perfect counter move for trading a good pitching prospect like Stewart. You bring back an even better one. After reading the full pay structure, we never really pay to much money in a season for Chapman, something like 4 million I believe, unless he dominates and hit arbitration then we will pay a bit more.
    According to an article quoted in the ORG, we pretty much have him for the full 6 years, with the 6th year player option becoming an ARB year IFF he decides to decline the option. I'm not sure how much that might open us up for though.

He does have a lot of incentives in his contract as well, so who knows what that might add up to - but I'm always a HUGE fan of incentives. Oh, World Series MVP get's you $1M? I think we could swallow that...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I hate to wish back luck on anyone but I hope this Stewart guy just turns out to be an average pitcher, so everyone will be like "well maybe that Rolen deal waddn't so bad after all!"

Looking back how many of you thought the Hali Mo Peno for Arroyo deal was bad? Some people that Pena was another Barry Bonds

I hate to wish back luck on anyone but I hope this Stewart guy just turns out to be an average pitcher, so everyone will be like "well maybe that Rolen deal waddn't so bad after all!"

Looking back how many of you thought the Hali Mo Peno for Arroyo deal was bad? Some people that Pena was another Barry Bonds
    That will never happen, there are still people on this board that pine for Austin Kearns and think that Chris Denorfia was the star who got away.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    That will never happen, there are still people on this board that pine for Austin Kearns and think that Chris Denorfia was the star who got away.
    Austin Kearns...well it wasn't really that we lost anybody in that trade, its just that did we get anything in return? Most overrated trade in modern Reds history IMO.

You can't buy extra draft picks with that money, and any other young player you can buy with that money will be a lesser recruit. Plus they have addressed those areas with younger players. So no need to spend more money there.

If you want it spent on free agents, who is your list of free agents that will take a $5 million a year contract spread over 10 years? They are going to be mediocre at best, and probably in their 30's. So that means the current less than mediocre team adds another older, less than mediocre player. Yep, sounds like a sound strategy to win the world series.

In case you were wondering what $5 million per year gets you in the free agent market...

Garrett Atkins 3B - 30 year old after a bad year with Rockies inflated stats (above average a few years ago...who knows what you get)

Danys Baez P - 32 year old below average pitcher (that is being kind)

Jamey Carrol 2B - 35 year old utility infielder who couldn't kill a fly with hit bat

Coco Crisp OF - 30 years old, and hasn't hit worth a crap in about 5 years

Pedro Feliz 3B - 34 years old, average at best and on the way down

Nick Johnson 1B - 31, Decent stats but below average for a 1st basemen

Jason Kendall C - 35, Laughable.

Adam LaRoche 1B - 30, and about the only guy you could say "hey, move Votto to LF and put this guy at first." Even then, he is still a first baseman.

Ivan Rodriguez C - Preparing for a dirt nap

So there you have it. Take your pick of the missing piece to this team. Any other trade that frees up money can be done with or without this move, and last time I checked no one is handing out young, MLB ready SS's or OF's for aging high contract pitchers (at least not ones like Harang and Arroyo).
    Last edited by scott91575; 01-17-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Austin Kearns...well it wasn't really that we lost anybody in that trade, its just that did we get anything in return? Most overrated trade in modern Reds history IMO.
    That is so true, who would have thought Daryl Thompson would do just as much for his team as anyone else in the trade.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It was a wash. And most importantly, the Reds got rid of the cancer Austin Kearns and the overrated Felipe Lopez and his contract renewal/arbitration that was coming in the off season.

It was a salary dump and if you looked at Bray's and the other guys pitching stats, it was a good trade for the Reds at the time. Unfortunately, those two pitchers ended up having arm problems.

Turn Off Ads?