Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or could that money have gone elsewhere

Gary Redus Ruled

Is it me or could that money have gone elsewhere

Dont get me wrong I enjoy the Chapman signing and all but could we have used the money to upgrade the outfield or shortstop? The later it gets these guys prices are going to drop...I dont know. Maybe now they trade Arroyo or Harang to get that help. Thoughts??
    Hoping for another Reds October

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is it me or could that money have gone elsewhere

Sorry I get what your saying but the options are not that flash. 22 year old lhander with TR stuff is better than the aging vets that are the options

From what I read, he isn't going to be paid much this year (around 1 million). It will be a few years from now (after the contracts of Arroyo and Harang are over). I guess we'll see in 2-3 years if his contract becomes a burden.

His contract is spread over 10 years, so his hit to our payroll is really not as much of a burden as it would be spread over the 5 years his contract is good for. double21d is correct in that he'll only be receiving ~1mil this season. Who, exactly, could we have picked up for SS or OF that is significantly better than our current options for that price?

-Matt

The only problem I have is that I know we're going to hear in a few years how the Reds can't sign anyone because of all the defferred money being paid to Griffey and Chapman.

That said, I think this signing has much higher upside in the next year or two than you would have got for the same mone in OF or SS. I'm a litttle surprise he didn't command more money that that.
    Sto Pro Veritate

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If Chapman had been in the MLB draft, he would have gone 1 or 2, between he or Strasberg.

It's like getting the first pick in the draft.

It's just you.

Gary Redus Ruled

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    It's just you.
    LOL Ok thanks it is just me.
    Hoping for another Reds October

RotoHester

Not picking on the OP here, but I think the Reds could've traded for Felix Hernandez and signed him to an extension and there would've been 10 threads entitled "we should've signed _______ instead. This makes no sense".

Goes to show you can't please everyone. I, along with the majority of Reds fans that I've talked to, are THRILLED with this signing. The future of this team looks like it should be fun to watch.

Just need to figure out what to do with Alonso soon. His bat is going to warrant being in the big leagues very soon

To answer the original poster's Question - It's just you. :

As for our new "problems" - we have too many SP and corner IF prospects/LF maybe developmenters, and couple other guys who would fit in well at 2B if their glove doesn't match up at 3B or SS (*Frazier* *cough* *Frazier*).

IMO we should trade Alonso and/or BP now, along with a Harang/Arroyo and get a SS and/or LF-er vet who can be penciled in for a couple years while we see who can develop for the long-term. We could use a proven .850+OPS bat in LF or a proven SS with some pop as well as glovework, and compete NOW!

Suddenly we have huge depth in the SP department, and tons of it as well in the pipeline - Leake, Wood, Maloney, LaCure, Klinker, et al - we need to package some of this excess and get some depth for our lacking areas.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

You can never have enough starting pitching prospects. Bleeds, there isn't too much. Far from it. There's a lot of unproven talent or bad talent, true. But there isn't too much. Harang and/or Arroyo need(s) to be moved, though. That should make your "too much" seem more reasonable.

It's money well spent.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-11-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Quality free agents and anyone worth a damn aren't going to want to come to Cincinnati. To generate excitement and potentially improve the team, this is the route to go.

I'd forget about moving BA, but definately move AH, he could just be a lame duck pitcher, but to be quite honest he was just sharper a few years ago, and has lost his accuracy, he just doesn't get it done anymore.
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Is it just me, or do people always complain when the Reds are trying to better themselves? They get mad when they don't do something, they get mad when they DO something (Rolen).

damned if you do, damned if you don't

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Is it just me, or do people always complain when the Reds are trying to better themselves? They get mad when they don't do something, they get mad when they DO something (Rolen).

damned if you do, damned if you don't
    It's not just you

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?