Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roster move or moves after Chapman?

Roster move or moves after Chapman?

Anything?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roster move or moves after Chapman?

Nothing yet. I'm hoping they DFA Taveras.

They are going to restructure his contract so that he won't count against the 40 man roster. It's the Wily Mo Clause.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    HAHA! Santa only comes once a year.

I'm officially on board this year if that happens.

You have to think that either Harang or Arroyo will be dealt, perhaps within the next 6 months leading up to the deadline. Personally, I would like to see Harang put up nice 1st half numbers and trade him to a west coast ballclub around the deadline. I don't see Harang ever recapturing past years success; let alone sustain it for several years. Arroyo, on the other hand, is invaluable with his rubber arm. He is also consistent in his performance during the second half of the season. Regardless, I think it all depends on the right deal and where they are in the standings come July.

I don't see them doing much after this. Of course, I didn't see them signing Chapman at all. Who did?

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    HAHA! Santa only comes once a year.

I'm officially on board this year if that happens.

You have to think that either Harang or Arroyo will be dealt, perhaps within the next 6 months leading up to the deadline. Personally, I would like to see Harang put up nice 1st half numbers and trade him to a west coast ballclub around the deadline. I don't see Harang ever recapturing past years success; let alone sustain it for several years. Arroyo, on the other hand, is invaluable with his rubber arm. He is also consistent in his performance during the second half of the season. Regardless, I think it all depends on the right deal and where they are in the standings come July.

I don't see them doing much after this. Of course, I didn't see them signing Chapman at all. Who did?
    Harang is on a one-year deal at this point. If you trade him in July, you are trading a two-three month rental. Won't get much in return, maybe somebody works out, but not a major return. Same for Arroyo.

Reds have to decide whether to hold these guys in the hope of competing this year, or to trade one or both now - for more young talent. Or to take the middle ground, trade one now, hold one to see if things click this year.

In other words, the best return for these guys is likely to trade them now. Particularly true for Arroyo, who finished strong last year, and whose value is highest in a while.

Chapman isn't gonna cost a whole lot for the fist year or so. Is he?

So did we have a roster spot open? He's showing on the 40 Man online and I'm only counting 40 people and there's no mention of a corresponding release. I didn't recall that we had a spot open.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I believe they had an open roster spot after declining to offer arbitration to Gomes. If so, then no one had to be bounced to add Chapman to the 40-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Harang is on a one-year deal at this point. If you trade him in July, you are trading a two-three month rental. Won't get much in return, maybe somebody works out, but not a major return. Same for Arroyo.

Reds have to decide whether to hold these guys in the hope of competing this year, or to trade one or both now - for more young talent. Or to take the middle ground, trade one now, hold one to see if things click this year.

In other words, the best return for these guys is likely to trade them now. Particularly true for Arroyo, who finished strong last year, and whose value is highest in a while.
    So the question becomes: is there more value now or later for Harang? Personally, I prefer to wait. He likely has been red flagged a bit for arm issues and his performance (run support or not) has been inconsistent. I take the chance he rebounds for a decent first half run of starts. Trade him in July for the blue chips not available in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    So the question becomes: is there more value now or later for Harang? Personally, I prefer to wait. He likely has been red flagged a bit for arm issues and his performance (run support or not) has been inconsistent. I take the chance he rebounds for a decent first half run of starts. Trade him in July for the blue chips not available in the winter.
    Another reason to hold on Harang is that I can see him re-signing at a reasonable rate. Not saying he would, but I could see it.

Another reason to hold on Harang is that I can see him re-signing at a reasonable rate. Not saying he would, but I could see it.
    Good point. But, I could also see him signing on the West Coast, which is closer to his home. And signing with a team like the Dodgers or Padres for even less than he would in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Chapman isn't gonna cost a whole lot for the fist year or so. Is he?
    I think he'll cost around $1M in 2010.

I'm hoping that both Arroyo and Harang start the year with the Reds. We need someone to pitch those innings and I think another team would be more likely to take on one of those contracts at the trade deadline when there isn't that much of a financial committment to take over. They both have 2011 options if the Reds need to keep one of them for another year. But, even if Harang is willing to sign an extension for less, I doubt the Reds would do it now unless they have to.

Yep. If he returns to form or anything close to it, he could be a bargain. From what I understand, he likes it in Cincinnati. Arroyo, OTOH, would probably leave in a heartbeat (just my opinion). If I'm dealing (and I'm not dealing either one of them yet), it's Arroyo all the way despite his 2009 season.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I think he'll cost around $1M in 2010.

I'm hoping that both Arroyo and Harang start the year with the Reds. We need someone to pitch those innings and I think another team would be more likely to take on one of those contracts at the trade deadline when there isn't that much of a financial committment to take over. They both have 2011 options if the Reds need to keep one of them for another year. But, even if Harang is willing to sign an extension for less, I doubt the Reds would do it now unless they have to.
    The Enquirer reported today that he got a signing bonus of $6-7 million

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dare to dream....
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Turn Off Ads?