Turn Off Ads?

Thread: FanGraphs article on Johnny Cueto

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

FanGraphs article on Johnny Cueto

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ind...homore-season/

His 3rd year will tell the tale of what type of pitcher he is destined to be, IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: FanGraphs article on Johnny Cueto

I think the comment regarding his being tired was pretty accurate. The decline in his average FB velocity and increase in SL velocity, while both minor, suggest that he was indeed a bit tired. There's no doubt that 2009 was not the step forward in performance we had all expected. However, I do think Cueto started to display increased maturity in his approach towards the end of the season, maintaining more of an even keel. I think coming in to 2010 fresh and with 2 years of experience on a major league mound under his belt will serve him quite well.

On fangraphs, I have him down for 195 IP and a 3.75 ERA and slight improvements in both his K/9 and BB/9.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Re: FanGraphs article on Johnny Cueto

I think a lot of people forget Cueto was one of the best starters in the NL through the first three months last season. After his start on July 1st, Cueto had a 2.69 ERA in 103.2 innings pitched. Soon thereafter, he became a disaster in his following eight starts before going on the DL with what he described as a dead arm from pitching in Winter Ball/World Baseball Classic. After he returned from the DL on August 31, Cueto posted a 3.68 ERA in his final six starts (34.2 IP). Cueto was a well above average starter last season except for a stretch from early July to mid-August. I think the extra rest from not pitching Winter Ball is really going to benefit him in 2010.

I do agree that he should throw his changeup more. It's a nasty pitch when he throws it.

Turn Off Ads?