Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball Movie "Sugar" and Jose Rijo

Baseball Movie "Sugar" and Jose Rijo

Not sure if this has been posted, but I just watched the baseball movie "Sugar" which cronicals the efforts of a young Dominican pitcher trying to make it to the big leagues. Jose Rijo plays the guy that runs the DR training academy (just like in real life, I guess). His character's name is Alvarez. I wonder if that is a nod to Johnny?

Anyway... it's a pretty good movie. Not your typical feel good Hollywood interpretation of the baseball world, that's for sure. And it was fun to see Jose, cigar and all in several scenes.
    Last edited by Rockermann; 09-05-2009 at 09:05 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball Movie "Sugar" and Jose Rijo

Is there a scene where hes skimming money off the top just like in real life also?

Re: Baseball Movie "Sugar" and Jose Rijo

Just saw this, and I really liked it. I highly recommend it to all baseball fans, even if it isn't exactly a feel good movie. The DVD extras have some interviews with Rijo as well, he consulted on the film, and I'm assuming it is his academy where they filmed.

It made me wonder what came of the allegations of his crooked dealings. Has there been anything new?

Turn Off Ads?