Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Golf Equipment

  1. #1
    I'm toolsy.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Just South of Louisville
    Posts
    334

    Golf Equipment

    Not sure if I should put this here or in The Tavern so please move it if necessary.

    I'm in the market for some golf equipment upgrades this "off-season" and I'd thought I'd pick the brains of some of our resident experts.

    I'm currently playing:

    Ping G5 driver
    Callaway Steelhead III Woods
    TalyorMade RAC OS Irons
    Cleveland CG14 Wedges

    I just bought the Cleveland HiBore XLS Monster driver at the Louisville Golf Show.

    My next step is to replace the irons. I've been looking at the Mizuno MX-950's at Dicks. They've been running a special on them to clearance the out and they can bought for around $400.

    http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.n...golf&cat=irons

    I hit forged irons for the first time last season and fell in love with them, but I'm still a high enough handicapper to require a game improvement club. What do you all think of this offering from Mizuno?

    What do you think of the Cleveland driver purchase?

    Any other equipment recommendations?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Golf Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    Not sure if I should put this here or in The Tavern so please move it if necessary.

    I'm in the market for some golf equipment upgrades this "off-season" and I'd thought I'd pick the brains of some of our resident experts.

    I'm currently playing:

    Ping G5 driver
    Callaway Steelhead III Woods
    TalyorMade RAC OS Irons
    Cleveland CG14 Wedges

    I just bought the Cleveland HiBore XLS Monster driver at the Louisville Golf Show.

    My next step is to replace the irons. I've been looking at the Mizuno MX-950's at Dicks. They've been running a special on them to clearance the out and they can bought for around $400.

    http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.n...golf&cat=irons

    I hit forged irons for the first time last season and fell in love with them, but I'm still a high enough handicapper to require a game improvement club. What do you all think of this offering from Mizuno?

    What do you think of the Cleveland driver purchase?

    Any other equipment recommendations?
    First of all, just about every company makes a quality game-improvement iron right now. Mizuno is great company. That being said, why are you switching irons? Are yours too old? Not forgiving enough? You may just need to take out some long irons in exchange for some hybrids.

    Second, I like the Callaway Steelheads and your CG14's. Which lofts do you have?

    Third, the Cleveland Monster is a beast. I'm sponsored by Cleveland and used it last year for 2 months. I hit it forever. However, it was too long and I couldn't control it like I wanted so I switched. I'm currently in the process of getting a new Cleveland DST driver. Hopefully, it'll work out.

    Here's what important:

    You need to fill in your gaps to maximize your set. Not knowing your handicap or how far you hit the ball, here's what I would recommend:

    Driver
    3-wood Steelhead (15 degrees?)
    2 Hybrids - something in the 18/19 degree neighborhood and another in the 23 neighborhood.
    4-PW (ditch the 3-iron and possibly your 4-iron depending on how you hit it)
    GW - around 52 degrees
    SW - 56 or 58 degrees depending on how far you hit, etc.

    The most important things are to carry 3 wedges, if not 4, to close your gaps, and have at least 2 hybrids in your bag. I carry 2 hybrids myself. Great clubs.

    Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  4. #3
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Golf Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    Not sure if I should put this here or in The Tavern so please move it if necessary.

    I'm in the market for some golf equipment upgrades this "off-season" and I'd thought I'd pick the brains of some of our resident experts.

    I'm currently playing:

    Ping G5 driver
    Callaway Steelhead III Woods
    TalyorMade RAC OS Irons
    Cleveland CG14 Wedges

    I just bought the Cleveland HiBore XLS Monster driver at the Louisville Golf Show.

    My next step is to replace the irons. I've been looking at the Mizuno MX-950's at Dicks. They've been running a special on them to clearance the out and they can bought for around $400.

    http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.n...golf&cat=irons

    I hit forged irons for the first time last season and fell in love with them, but I'm still a high enough handicapper to require a game improvement club. What do you all think of this offering from Mizuno?

    What do you think of the Cleveland driver purchase?

    Any other equipment recommendations?
    How old are you? What is your handicap? Where do you want to take your game?

    I have had Mizuno MP 14 blades for about 10 years now and love them. Doubt I will ever switch away from blades. So the brands I look at are Titleist, Hogan, and Mizuno.

  5. #4
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Golf Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    Not sure if I should put this here or in The Tavern so please move it if necessary.

    I'm in the market for some golf equipment upgrades this "off-season" and I'd thought I'd pick the brains of some of our resident experts.

    I'm currently playing:

    Ping G5 driver
    Callaway Steelhead III Woods
    TalyorMade RAC OS Irons
    Cleveland CG14 Wedges

    I just bought the Cleveland HiBore XLS Monster driver at the Louisville Golf Show.

    My next step is to replace the irons. I've been looking at the Mizuno MX-950's at Dicks. They've been running a special on them to clearance the out and they can bought for around $400.

    http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.n...golf&cat=irons

    I hit forged irons for the first time last season and fell in love with them, but I'm still a high enough handicapper to require a game improvement club. What do you all think of this offering from Mizuno?

    What do you think of the Cleveland driver purchase?

    Any other equipment recommendations?
    What Redhook said.

    I used to be sponsored by Callaway, so I do have some loyalty to them. I particularly like the playability of my Callaway Fusion hybrids (1 & 3, 14deg and 19deg lofts respectively). Adding hybrids to my bag helped me close some distance gaps between my 3 wood and 4 iron.

    I also play the Callaway FT5 8.5deg fade with an Aldila VS Proto 80 X flex shaft in it. I love the Fusion 3 Wood I play as well, which has an Aldila VS Proto 70 S flex shaft in it. I can hit that club from any lie, which increases its versatility for me.

    That being said, the only clubs Ping makes that I'd recommend for any player is some of their wedges, or their putters. Aside from that, I don't think they make a good club at all. I don't think they have a lot of versatility or playability, and I've never found them to be forgiving or workable.

    That Cleveland driver is very solid, my only concern is that you might hit it too high and lose some distance as your game improves, but in the mean time IMO it's a great club.

    If you like your Callaway 3 wood, then stick with it. IMO, that's also a solid club.

    As for the iron set, how do you current strike your irons? Do you hit a high ball and need help bringing the ball down? Do you hit a low ball and need help getting the ball in the air?

    What's your height? The reason I ask is if you're at least 6 feet tall, you may not be able to buy clubs off the rack. Depending on height, you may need your irons extended, which will change your lie angle and what not. Now I don't recommend going through a full fitting if you're looking for game improvement irons, but having a qualified club fitter take a simple wrist to floor measurement will help figure out if you need any length adjustment on your irons.

    Depending on your budget, and if you're looking for a game improvement iron, I'd recommend hitting the following sets @ Dicks to see if you like them:

    Adams IDEA a3 (this is a hybrid set, hybrids in 3,4,5, irons in 6-PW)

    TaylorMade r7 (4-AW set, AW = gap wedge) I never recommend using a gap wedge that comes as part of a complete set, so I'd ask the sales guy if he'll swap out the gap wedge with a gap wedge you really want, or worst case since you have a Cleveland gap wedge, see if you can use the gap wedge as store credit)

    Nike Slingshot 4D (4-AW set, see above regarding gap wedge in a set)

    Adams IDEA a7 (hybrid set, hybrids in 3,4, irons in 5-PW)

    Mizuno MX-100 (4-GW)



    Check out these sets @ Golf Galaxy:

    Callaway Big Bertha (some come 3-PW, some come 4-AW, go for the 4-AW and try and swap the gap wedge with a different Callaway wedge. I really like the X Tour models)

    Cleveland CG7 (3-PW, I've found this 3 iron to be forgiving, but not as forgiving as a hybrid obvioulsy)

    Mizuno MX-1000 (4-GW, try and swap out the GW b/c this one isn't a good one)



    Lastly, make sure you have a good loft separation with your wedges. Typically a PW will be around 48deg, and your lowest wedge should be either 58 or 60. The 58 or 60 is your preference. I also recommend at least 3 wedges, and probably 4 (I carry 4 48, 52, 56, 60). If you go with 3, I'd recommend a 58deg as your highest, and then something around 54 for your gap wedge.

    Good luck and happy hunting!

  6. #5
    I'm toolsy.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Just South of Louisville
    Posts
    334

    Re: Golf Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    That being said, why are you switching irons? Are yours too old? Not forgiving enough? You may just need to take out some long irons in exchange for some hybrids.

    Second, I like the Callaway Steelheads and your CG14's. Which lofts do you have?
    Thanks for the suggestions. To answer a couple of your questions:

    I think I'm just ready for a change on my irons. Like I said, I played those Mizuno forged irons as "rentals" at a club in AZ last year and fell in love with the feel of them.

    I have the following wedges:

    TaylorMade PW that came with iron set
    Vokey: 50 degree
    CG14: 56 degree
    CG14: 60 degree

  7. #6
    I'm toolsy.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Just South of Louisville
    Posts
    334

    Re: Golf Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How old are you? What is your handicap? Where do you want to take your game?
    Age: 34
    Handicap: Don't have a USGA handicap, but usually shoot in the mid-90s
    Goal: Consistantly breaking 90, then rounds in the lower 80s

  8. #7
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,382

    Re: Golf Equipment

    I have been itching to add a gap wedge, myself. My friends make fun of me because I only carry twelve clubs, but I play my sand wedge for a lot of shots when they are pulling out their 60 degree clubs while I tend to take shorter swings with the PW or the SW. It's just a difference in how we go about getting to the hole, but a gap wedge would be a fine addition to my bag for those times when I want a full swing, but am in between the PW and SW.
    And if you're thinking about unloading those Steelheads I'll take them off your hands. I like those clubs a lot.

    I'd think hard before changing irons just because you think you want to change because it seems wise to have a specific purpose in mind before spending all that money. But if you're mind is made up, I'd recommend getting a custom fit to make sure you find a set that fits your swing, launch angle and all that jargon the pros understand. A good fit can go a long way towards helping you drop strokes with the swing you have.


    Lastly, I was in the same position about five years ago. You might also just consider some lessons because there's nothing that will get you into the mid 80s like a few good lessons. I've gone from shooting around 100 when I started to a handicap of 14 with the same set of clubs. And lessons from a good pro.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 01-13-2010 at 08:53 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  9. #8
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,934

    Re: Golf Equipment

    I purchased the new Bridgestone combo iron J36 set and love them. They are forged. the 3,4,5 are cavity back, 6,7 are inbetween blades and cavity backed, and the 8,9,P, are blades. I can't say enough about them.
    Last edited by George Foster; 01-14-2010 at 12:18 AM.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  10. #9
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Golf Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I have been itching to add a gap wedge, myself. My friends make fun of me because I only carry twelve clubs, but I play my sand wedge for a lot of shots when they are pulling out their 60 degree clubs while I tend to take shorter swings with the PW or the SW. It's just a difference in how we go about getting to the hole, but a gap wedge would be a fine addition to my bag for those times when I want a full swing, but am in between the PW and SW.
    And if you're thinking about unloading those Steelheads I'll take them off your hands. I like those clubs a lot.

    I'd think hard before changing irons just because you think you want to change because it seems wise to have a specific purpose in mind before spending all that money. But if you're mind is made up, I'd recommend getting a custom fit to make sure you find a set that fits your swing, launch angle and all that jargon the pros understand. A good fit can go a long way towards helping you drop strokes with the swing you have.


    Lastly, I was in the same position about five years ago. You might also just consider some lessons because there's nothing that will get you into the mid 80s like a few good lessons. I've gone from shooting around 100 when I started to a handicap of 14 with the same set of clubs. And lessons from a good pro.
    I carry 3 wedges but should only carry two. My PW I can hit up to 145, usually stay around 140. My SW is about 10+ years old and I can only hit it max 110. I bought a new gap wedge a few years ago and I max out at 120.

    When I am playing a lot it really isn't difficult for me to dial down the PW. But that 125 yard shot has become very tricky especially early in the season.

  11. #10
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Golf Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. To answer a couple of your questions:

    I think I'm just ready for a change on my irons. Like I said, I played those Mizuno forged irons as "rentals" at a club in AZ last year and fell in love with the feel of them.

    I have the following wedges:

    TaylorMade PW that came with iron set
    Vokey: 50 degree
    CG14: 56 degree
    CG14: 60 degree
    Nowadays, most PW's that come with a set are around 46 degrees, if not lower, for game-improvement clubs. These companies want you to think you're hitting it further when actually you're just hitting a 9-iron that says PW.

    Whatever set you decide to get, make sure you know the lofts first. If your set PW is 44-46 degrees then your Vokey will be perfect to keep in the bag as a GW. I might recommend bending your 56 to a 55 to make your gaps 5 degrees each.

    Also, if all your clubs are strong, your 5-iron will be close to a 4-iron. Your 4-iron will be a 3-iron, etc. You may not need a 4-iron. You might be able to save some money if you just bought 6 irons, 5-PW. This, of course, is assuming you would buy a couple of hybrids to offset taking out the long irons.

    BTW, great hybrids to consider: Cobra, Cleveland, and maybe Taylor Made. I really like them. I'm not a big fan of Nike, Callaway, or Ping hybrids.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  12. #11
    I'm toolsy.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Just South of Louisville
    Posts
    334

    Re: Golf Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    As for the iron set, how do you current strike your irons? Do you hit a high ball and need help bringing the ball down? Do you hit a low ball and need help getting the ball in the air?

    What's your height? The reason I ask is if you're at least 6 feet tall, you may not be able to buy clubs off the rack. Depending on height, you may need your irons extended, which will change your lie angle and what not.

    Adams IDEA a7 (hybrid set, hybrids in 3,4, irons in 5-PW)
    Sorry, I think I overlooked some of your questions as I was reading:

    Height: 5'10", so I think I'm fine with "off the rack" clubs

    Ball Striking: I have a very steep decending swing that takes a HUGE divot and produces a low, boring ball flight.

    The Adams A7 are also on my "to research" list. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

  13. #12
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,622

    Re: Golf Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    The Adams A7 are also on my "to research" list. Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    I play an Adams iron/hybrid set (A2OS) that I purchased 3 years ago. I couldn't be happier with their play and performance. I've actually had two friends switch to Adams sets after hitting a couple of my clubs for a round.

    FWIW, I carry 3 wedges (GW, SW, LW) in my bag beyond the PW. My logic is that, with the way I strike the ball off the tee, I tend to leave myself with a lot of under-130 approaches. The different wedges let me attack the green differently, which is useful when I need a short shot with a lot of height (getting over a tree or a hazard) or might want to a more traditional full-swing aprpoach from the ~100 range.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25