Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane Kiffin to USC

Re: Lane Kiffin to USC

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Kiffin is putting together an awsome staff at USC. All he will have to do is stand on the sidlines and make a butt of himself. Which he can do very easily.
    Bad hire for USC because they are facing NCAA hearing on the Reggie Bush stuff and they go out and hire someone who has basically thumbed his nose at the NCAA since he was hired at UT. IMO, this will end very badly for USC.
    UT is literally on fire. I have read that the students were burning mattresses and other things. They even basically got a posse together to go after Kiffin but were stopped. Fun times in Knox-Vegas.

http://www.wbir.com/video/default.as...01/61546613001
    When did Tennessee become WVU?

I said in an earlier post that this is the equivalent of USC giving the NCAA the finger. Knowing you are probably going to be facing sanctions and then hiring the biggest troublemaker of a coach known to man.

Actually, I would compare it to Gilbert Arenas in warmups before David Stern suspended him indefinitely.

I have a friend from Tennessee who I checked on Facebook last night after this happened. He was glad to see Kiffin go and thought he was a jerk after the way he acted toward Frank Beamer after losing to Va Tech. I think Vol Nation was divided on Kiffin, but they are all hurt and betrayed with what is happening right now. I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to bring back a former Vol to lead the program and provide stability. David Cutcliffe or Randy Sanders could be options.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let's hope it's not Randy Sanders. He isn't even a good asst coach

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Let's hope it's not Randy Sanders. He isn't even a good asst coach
    I beg to differ. He has been responsible for turning Andre Woodson around. I think he will also be a force in the development of Morgan Newton. I'd rather we keep him.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Because UCLA has been an afterthought during the Carroll reign. For the better part of a decade USC football was the best show in town. Guys like Leinart and Bush were celebrities, actual celebrities like Will Farrel and Snoop Dogg attended practice, they were LA's version of a NFL team.
    UCLA had some awfully good bball teams during that time. Yet, not a whiff of wrong doing that I'm aware of.

I'm just not buying the lack of an NFL franchise as any type of cause-effect relationship. You may be right about the star factor being present at USC, but I don't think that is anyway related to the lack of an NFL team.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I beg to differ. He has been responsible for turning Andre Woodson around. I think he will also be a force in the development of Morgan Newton. I'd rather we keep him.
    He got fired at Tennessee for a reason. If he was so great at UK, why wasn't he calling the plays?

If I'm Tennessee I want something more than a QB coach to lead my team.

You can have him

I beg to differ. He has been responsible for turning Andre Woodson around.
    We have different standards at Tennessee. We don't want Andre Woodson. We want Peyton Manning and Heath Shuler

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My general opinion of college coaches these days is about on par with streetwalkers.
    Do you really think she loved you?

He was only there for a year. Why does he need a press conference? He needs an hour to clean out his desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We have different standards at Tennessee. We don't want Andre Woodson. We want Peyton Manning and Heath Shuler
    I understand the standards completely. Tennessee is to football what Kentucky is to basketball. If John Calipari had done this, I can guarantee you the reaction would be the same.

There are people I know from Tennessee who wanted to keep the job "in-family", even when Kiffin was hired. That is why Cutcliffe and Sanders were mentioned.

If I were a Vol fan, Jon Gruden is the one I would like to see. He has the connections, but at the same time you have to wonder if he would like to go back to the NFL. Unless Tennessee does stay "in family", my guess is whoever they hire isn't going to be a lifer there.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    UCLA had some awfully good bball teams during that time. Yet, not a whiff of wrong doing that I'm aware of.

I'm just not buying the lack of an NFL franchise as any type of cause-effect relationship. You may be right about the star factor being present at USC, but I don't think that is anyway related to the lack of an NFL team.
    College football and college basketball are apples and oranges. And last I checked the NBA has two teams in LA.

Oh I think there is a direct correlation between USC's problems and the lack of a NFL team. Football is the biggest sport in the country right now. With the lack of a professional sports team USC has taken their place. Back to back national titles, 3 Heisman Torphy winners, numerous first round draft picks, etc. With LA being one of the top 5 markets in America there will be countless business owners and corporations who want to experience football. Money poured into USC football and with it being the in thing to do in LA it made sense. But with all that money you are going to have your bad apples start to surface.

The Vols have contacted Phat Phil about coming back. Absense makes the heart grow fonder? I was only half kidding yesterday when I said his name.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    The Vols have contacted Phat Phil about coming back. Absense makes the heart grow fonder? I was only half kidding yesterday when I said his name.
    That's funny. He has practically begged for every open position so far this year.

I understand the standards completely. Tennessee is to football what Kentucky is to basketball. If John Calipari had done this, I can guarantee you the reaction would be the same.

There are people I know from Tennessee who wanted to keep the job "in-family", even when Kiffin was hired. That is why Cutcliffe and Sanders were mentioned.

If I were a Vol fan, Jon Gruden is the one I would like to see. He has the connections, but at the same time you have to wonder if he would like to go back to the NFL. Unless Tennessee does stay "in family", my guess is whoever they hire isn't going to be a lifer there.
    That's fine and dandy but what does this have to do with whether Sanders is a good assistant coach or not?

Retired

If Gruden went to UT, and had a little success there, he'd bail as soon as the NFL came calling again.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    If Gruden went to UT, and had a little success there, he'd bail as soon as the NFL came calling again.
    In a heartbeat. So would any other coach under 50 years old. It goes with the territory sadly.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    In a heartbeat. So would any other coach under 50 years old. It goes with the territory sadly.

And how long will he stay at USC before he goes to the NFL? This guy makes Nick Saban seem like Joe Paterno as regards to job stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?