Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Lane Kiffin to USC

Re: Lane Kiffin to USC

I liked this comment by Jay Paterno. It was in Peter King's MMQB and sums up how I feel about this whole deal....

Interesting column Friday on statecollege.com by Penn State quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno, son of Joe, railing about the state of college football. "This profession has lost touch with the reality of the world around us, and some coaches have lost touch with what the mission of our profession should be,'' Jay Paterno wrote. "We are starting to look as arrogant as the Wall Street bankers raking in seven-figure bonuses. The astronomical explosion in coaching salaries continues at a time of 10 percent unemployment in America and exploding tuition costs burdening working class families ... Coaches walk into a recruit's home and talk about how they will look out for that young man's future. The expectation is that the coach will help to guide him through a very formative time. A year later the same coach is off to another job for more money and left behind are the young men he promised to nurture towards their future.''
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

"... Coaches walk into a recruit's home and talk about how they will look out for that young man's future. The expectation is that the coach will help to guide him through a very formative time. A year later the same coach is off to another job for more money and left behind are the young men he promised to nurture towards their future.''
    Not that Paterno's wrong but a recruit should no more believe a coach when he says he'll be there 4 years than he should believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. You hate to sound like a cynic but that's reality. I know these coaches are smooth talkers and are very persuasive - especially to kids who have absent fathers - but they need to choose a school for what they can do for them as a player and as a student.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not that Paterno's wrong but a recruit should no more believe a coach when he says he'll be there 4 years than he should believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. You hate to sound like a cynic but that's reality. I know these coaches are smooth talkers and are very persuasive - especially to kids who have absent fathers - but they need to choose a school for what they can do for them as a player and as a student.
    I couldn't disagree with what Paterno more. His statement reminds me of Barkley's "I'm not a role model" statement. It is convenient to say and it is what people want to hear, but it is not the reality of the situation. I think Jim Tressel earns every dollar he makes. Does anyone bring in more money to his "company" than Tressel? Who wants a job where every decision every day is part of local and sometimes national news. We treat them like celebrities everywhere they go and they should be comensated as such. There is a reason that top end College Baseball coaches don't make this kind of money. Coaches are the "stars" of college athletics and until we fans take them off of the pedastal, I think they deserve every dime they get.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I agree with the realities of the situation about expecting a coach to stick around. I just don't like it and think its a sad state of affairs. Contracts don't mean a thing.

I think the fact that they are employees of an academic institution with responsibilities for the learning and development of their athlete/students has gotten lost. If we are to judge college coaches solely by the money they bring in, then lets just call them pro coaches and pay the players and be done with it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I agree with the realities of the situation about expecting a coach to stick around. I just don't like it and think its a sad state of affairs. Contracts don't mean a thing.

I think the fact that they are employees of an academic institution with responsibilities for the learning and development of their athlete/students has gotten lost. If we are to judge college coaches solely by the money they bring in, then lets just call them pro coaches and pay the players and be done with it.
    I agree somewhat. But, I gave up on the combination of academics and athletics at big time schools a long time ago. Instead, I have adjusted my outlook on college sports. First, a large amount of kids enter college sports from underprivelaged backgrounds and their coaches and sport provide a level of structure to the kids that can only serve to help them. Working in education, I often feel that school may not be the best place for many kids, but it certainly isn't the worst. School surrounds kids with role models who can often provide stability in their lives, regardless of their reading level, math skills, and knowledge of history.
    When I argue about others with this, I always think about Bob Huggins. He always got blasted for the types of kids he brought to UC, but he became a father figure to hundreds of young men, many of whom had none in their normal lives. In a way, I have more respect for what Huggins did than what Coach K did. I'm sure that Coach K has had a really hard time coaching Shane Battier and Grant Hill. Try coaching Danny Fortson, Ruben Patterson, and Nick Van Exel instead.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Funny. I think those were the exact numbers Woodson put up his senior year at UK. But maybe UK fans were dreaming to think they might have a QB putting up numbers to rival a QB at such an elite school as UT.

Really, I don't care about UT and hate UK but I find your comments laughable. UT is irrelevant in football and has been for some time.
    This isn't about the relevance of UT football. It's about coach Sanders. If Kentucky fans like him, great. You can have him

But the stable coach can use that as a recruiting tool.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    But the stable coach can use that as a recruiting tool.
    But that's the point. There aren't really any stable coaches except for Paterno.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5411727

Looks like somebody else in Tennessee wants a crack at Lane Kiffin. If I were Lane, I would make sure not to even pass through the state at any given point:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans are suing Southern California and coach Lane Kiffin for "maliciously" luring away assistant running backs coach Kennedy Pola a week before training camp opens.

Tennessee Football Inc., the company that owns the Titans, filed the lawsuit Monday in Davidson County Chancery Court against both the university and Kiffin.

The lawsuit accuses Southern California and Kiffin of violating Pola's contract that required him to have written permission to discuss a job with anyone other than the Titans.

Tennessee hired Pola as running backs coach in February only to lose him Saturday to Southern California as the Trojans' new offensive coordinator and running backs coach.

"USC and Kiffin maliciously intended to -- and did -- induce Pola to breach the Pola contract," the lawsuit charges.

"USC and Kiffin engaged in improper means in their procurement of the breach and were not legally justified in their actions. Kiffin and USC's actions, through him, were part of a course and pattern of conduct fostered by Kiffin and USC to use improper methods and means to the direct harm and damage of parties to contracts ..."

The Titans declined to comment Monday beyond the lawsuit.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, a Southern California alumnus, said Saturday that Kiffin neglected to make the customary courtesy phone call to let him and the NFL team know he was interested in hiring Pola. Fisher himself had hired Pola, letting go Earnest Byner to free up the spot on his coaching staff.

Pola's contract ran at least to Feb. 14, 2011, with the NFL in the final year of its current labor agreement with the players.

The lawsuit lawsuit notes that written permission from the president and general counsel was needed because verbal "consent is inadequate." The lawsuit also notes Southern California and Kiffin, through Pola, knew about his contract requirements.

"Pola was not given express written consent by Tennessee Football or the Commissioner of the NFL to entertain employment with any other entity," the lawsuit argues.

The move left the Titans without a running backs coach one week before training camp opens, which the lawsuit argues disrupts planning, causes "potential loss of confidence by players" and the loss of salary and benefits already paid to Pola along with "future damage."

The lawsuit is particularly harsh on Kiffin for what it calls intentional actions. Kiffin said he first spoke to Pola on Friday, and then called Fisher on Saturday after Pola called him back, apparently to accept the job.

Kiffin acknowledged in a statement that timing wasn't perfect.

"I have spoken with Coach Fisher and he now has an accurate understanding of the timeline of events," Kiffin said. "We realize the timing of this isn't perfect for all parties, but this is a great opportunity and promotion for Kennedy."

Fisher told The Tennessean newspaper he was very disappointed in Kiffin's lack of professionalism. The lawsuit doesn't hold back in criticizing Kiffin for "furtherance of a culture of violation and avoidance of respect for the sanctity of contract, which Kiffin similarly practices ..." in inducing Pola to breach his contract.

The lawsuit notes Kiffin "abruptly departed" his coaching job at the University of Tennessee in January after just 14 months, which angered Volunteers' fans. Kiffin also lured four other Tennessee coaches to join him at Southern California, and the lawsuit also notes how Kiffin tried to hire Eric Bienemy away from NFL's Vikings, forcing Minnesota to redo his contract to keep the assistant.

The lawsuit asks for a jury trial and punitive damages and attorneys fees.

The Tennessean first reported the lawsuit on its website.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Lane Kiffin is the king of all jerks.

He makes Dr. 90210 seem like a modest guy.

The lawsuit asks for a jury trial and punitive damages and attorneys fees.
    If the trial is in Knoxville, it will be a slam dunk victory for the Titans.

I'm just wondering why the Titans haven't filed a restraining order to keep Pola from coaching at USC.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I am wondering what USC did wrong in violating a contract between this coach and the Titans. USC was not a party to the contract and did not agree to its terms. The Titans gripe should be with the asst coach, not USC

Kiffin = Lady Gaga.

If the trial is in Knoxville, it will be a slam dunk victory for the Titans.

I'm just wondering why the Titans haven't filed a restraining order to keep Pola from coaching at USC.
    The Titans may not care if he's on the sideline at USC but they seem to be taking a stand against poaching...as they should. The guy was hired just 5 months ago and violated his contract a week before training camp so I doubt they want him back. It seems like the best way to stop such activity is to go after the coach and school and not simply to keep Pola from coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I am wondering what USC did wrong in violating a contract between this coach and the Titans. USC was not a party to the contract and did not agree to its terms. The Titans gripe should be with the asst coach, not USC
    I may be wrong here, but since USC signs the paycheck I would think they share responsibility for the hiring decision, and the breach of contract.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    The Titans may not care if he's on the sideline at USC but they seem to be taking a stand against poaching...as they should. The guy was hired just 5 months ago and violated his contract a week before training camp so I doubt they want him back. It seems like the best way to stop such activity is to go after the coach and school and not simply to keep Pola from coaching.
    The Titans could have just let this slide and let Pola go without a fuss. But since they are making a big deal of it, I would think that they would want to hurt Pola and USC and Kiffin as much as possible. Filing a restraining order to keep Pola from coaching until this is resolved does just that.

I may be wrong here, but since USC signs the paycheck I would think they share responsibility for the hiring decision, and the breach of contract.
    It's probably more along the lines of criminal conspiracy - not that this is a criminal act but the point could still stand. It's like if I tell you to go out and do something illegal, I can be charged with criminal conspiracy and possibly even face charges for the act itself. Pola probably doesn't have any money on his own and Kiffin and USC do. USC and Kiffin were the impetus for Pola leaving so they get sued. Of course the suit may get tossed out by a judge for any number of reasons including that the Titans are suing the wrong party.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?