Thread: Prospect #28 runoff vote

Prospect #28 runoff vote

Logan Ondrusek or Enerio Del Rosario?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Re: Prospect #28 runoff vote

Del Rosario... a ground ball machine...

I guess I don't really get this one. I like del Rosario, but they played together for much of 2009, and Ondrusek was tapped as the primary closer. Or at least, he attained that rank as the season wore on.

Of the two of them, I like Lecure.

Voted for Del Rosario. Just recall Ondrusek was hit hard as a starter.

It was an easy to decision for me, and I went with Ondrusek. He throws heat, has a huge frame, and may have room for improvement since recently adding his new fastball.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Of the two of them, I like Lecure.

Voted for Del Rosario. Just recall Ondrusek was hit hard as a starter.
    What does Ondrusek being hit hard as a starter have to do with him as a reliever where he can throw harder and well, also added a new pitch since then?

And I went with Ondrusek, who is also a groundball machine, though lesser than Rosario.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What does Ondrusek being hit hard as a starter have to do with him as a reliever where he can throw harder and well, also added a new pitch since then?

Maybe his 262 innings over three years 2006-08 as a starter tell us more than his 72 innings in 2009 as a reliever.

Maybe his 262 innings over three years 2006-08 as a starter tell us more than his 72 innings in 2009 as a reliever.
    That he would have been better off if he had been switched to a reliever sooner? That he should have learned his cutter sooner? That the organization has acquired better pitching coaches since Ondrusek's days as a starter?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    That he would have been better off if he had been switched to a reliever sooner? That he should have learned his cutter sooner? That the organization has acquired better pitching coaches since Ondrusek's days as a starter?
    No. That fans shouldn't jump on one year's success, particularly for a pitcher who doesn't miss a lot of bats.

He seems better suited to relief, had a good 2009 despite his K rate, but was hit hard as a starter and the jury is very much out.

No. That fans shouldn't jump on one year's success, particularly for a pitcher who doesn't miss a lot of bats.

He seems better suited to relief, had a good 2009 despite his K rate, but was hit hard as a starter and the jury is very much out.
    Except that he is now a different pitcher than he was when he was a starter. And his K rate wasn't that bad. He struck out 17% of the batters he faced in 2009. That isn't a bad rate, its just not a great one. His K/9 looks much lower because of his incredibly low hit rate and a lower walk rate.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except that he is now a different pitcher than he was when he was a starter..
    He was a different pitcher for one season. We'll see.

He was a different pitcher for one season. We'll see.
    Sure, but there are circumstances linked directly to why.

Went with EDR. With the help of Soto and the new sidearm delivery, he could see the Majors sometime this year.

I'll be adding Brian Pearl to the next poll. I'm surprised no one has mentioned him yet. Baseball America rated him as the 173rd best prospect in the 2009 draft while Keith Law had him as the 56th best player. Was converted to a pitcher in college. Throws in the mid-90's with a slider. Had a 10 BB/31 K ratio in 28.2 innings with Billings. He's a potential sleeper, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?