Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earthquake in Haiti

Re: Earthquake in Haiti

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Here's a link to an extensive list from the Washington Post of organizations that folks can donate to for the relief efforts http://bit.ly/5fWzsD
    Do you know if there are any of these that take Paypal? That would be the method for me to donate. I can't afford much but I would really like to send at least a little something.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Do you know if there are any of these that take Paypal? That would be the method for me to donate. I can't afford much but I would really like to send at least a little something.
    Save the Children is one of the organizations from the list that has a way to donate through Paypal here:

http://www.savethechildren.org/get-i...aiti-0110.html

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Save the Children is one of the organizations from the list that has a way to donate through Paypal here:

http://www.savethechildren.org/get-i...aiti-0110.html

Thank you! I made my donation.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

If you have a cellphone you can text "Haiti" to 90999, to make a $10 donation to the Redcross. The charge will come on your next phone bill.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Jimmy Buffett asks Parrotheads to help Haiti in this time of need. Simply text "haiti" to 90999 to make a $10 donation to the American Red Cross Relief for Haiti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Dne1Mla-s
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Poorest Country in the Western Hemisphere plus 7.0 magnitude earthquake w/ numerous aftershocks and death tolls into the 6 figures is going to mean absolute chaos in Haiti for years to come. Not to say Haiti was a country on the brink of becoming a super-power, but I really don't see how Haiti overcomes this mess.

So, what's going to happen to Haiti? Say, 10 years from now?
    I think there's going to be a mass exodus. There has to be. The entire world must absorb a tremendous wave of Haitian orphans.

I think there's also a massive public health crisis that's going to explode. In a country with an astronomical HIV rate, the "Civil War era" medicine that's being practiced out of necessity is going to wreak havoc with recovery down the road.

I've got good news and bad news, sir. The good news is that we have a needle to stitch up your wounds. The bad news is that we've already used it to stitch up 4 other people and we don't have any means of sanitizing the needle before we stitch you up...

Apparently there was an aftershock this morning, so that won't help things at all.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Apparently there was an aftershock this morning, so that won't help things at all.
    Not just any old aftershock, but a full-blown magnitude 6.1 quake. It is brutal when the aftershocks are strong in their own right. Not good at all.
    Last edited by reds1869; 01-20-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Aftershocks are the thing that stoke your fear even higher, they break your resolve and make you think of nothing else, in short they are they destroyer of the need for normalcy.

Good deed by Bronson
    Posted by jfay January 22nd, 2010, 2:00 pm

Bronson Arroyo found a unique way to help the people of Haiti. He donated three pallets of OneSource, a nutritional product he’s used for two years, to the relief effort.

“It’s perfect for what they need,” he said. “It’s milk-based. You can drink it hot or cold. It doesn’t go bad in the heat. It’s easily disposable. It’s got a lot of stuff kids need in it.”

The three pallets have 10,000 eight-ounce servings of the drink. Each provides 260 calories and 14 grams of protein.

“I thought this would be better than giving money,” Arroyo said. “The product is made in Gainesville, Fla. We went through a company in St. Pete down here called For Haiti with Love to distribute it. I thought that would easier than going through MLB.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

peterhook

Hi,
    This was the biggest earthquake on the Haiti island and it was around 7.0 it
    is pretty bad because more than 1 lakh people have died and more than 50
    thousand people are lost. Lots of people have lost there houses and there
    families. We should all make effort and donate for Haiti, so that they can
    recover as fast as possible.

2 year anniversary....and little funding has been released to make progress in this desolate country. Just stunning.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?