Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cowell says he's leaving `Idol'

Cowell says he's leaving `Idol'

Cowell says he's leaving `Idol'
    By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer
    28 minutes ago

Simon Cowell, the acerbic Brit who has helped give "American Idol" some of its sharpest — and nastiest — moments, will leave the popular singing show after this season.

The cantankerous judge said that "The X Factor," a show he created and is a hit in Britain, will join Fox's schedule next year. Cowell will be on "The X Factor."

Cowell's decision is the biggest threat yet to what has been the country's most popular TV program and a true cultural force. This season, original host Paula Abdul has been replaced by Ellen DeGeneres.

But Cowell, with his caustic commentary, has long been seen as the big star of "Idol."

He said it would have been difficult for him to do both shows. While he makes a reported $36 million a year to be on "American Idol," he owns "The X Factor" and could make much more if the show takes off.

Cowell and top Fox executives made the announcement to reporters in Pasadena at a meeting of the Television Critics Association, saying they had reached an agreement only a few hours before.

"I was offered a lot of money to stay on," Cowell said. "But that wasn't the reason behind it. I wanted to do something different. I wanted a new challenge."

Peter Price, chairman of the Fox Broadcasting Co., would not speculate on possible replacements for Cowell.

"We have to take our time on that," Price said. "We have to make sure the chemistry of the judges is as good as it can be."

Cowell said he didn't want to leave "American Idol" at a time when it was fading in the ratings.

"You want to leave on a high," he said. "I'm very proud of what the show has achieved."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cowell says he's leaving `Idol'

It will be strange without Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    It will be nothing without Simon.

Well, okay, maybe I'm overstating it a bit, but beginning next season, Idol's days at the top of the ratings will be over. It will still probably get better ratings than a lot of other stuff they could air, so it will hang on for a few more seasons for that reason. But I really do expect viewership and national pop culture interest to wane significantly. In fact, I look for the ratings to slip this season; one, because of Simon's lame duck status and, two, because of the addition of Ellen.
    Last edited by macro; 01-11-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    So the same show it is now?

I don't know how they'll replace Cowell. Should be interesting though. Their last addition was ... a comedian. Well, Conan might have some interest now. lol

Wonder if the decision to hire Degeneres, a non-music industry figure, played any into his deciding to leave?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm sure it didn't. I'm sure he had total veto power over who they hired

They lost me at Degeneres. The show has set up the ramp to jump the shark.

Idol needs more than a "music fan" to be a judge. Cowell brought a hard smack of reality to a lot of people. Whether people agreed with him or not, Simon is part of the appeal of the show and I don't think he'll be easily replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    So the same show it is now?
    Just because you don't like it doesn't make this statement remotely true.

He's been talking about leaving for the last two seasons. If he leaves I can't imagine how the show would continue.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

The 'winners' over the last few years have had nothing to offer. I think Cowells departure is simply a smart move. Abandon ship before it sinks.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Just because you don't like it doesn't make this statement remotely true.
    It's true to me. Just because you do like the show doesn't make it false. It's an opinion, neither right or wrong.

So what's the difference between "Idol" and "X-Factor"?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

Well, okay, maybe I'm overstating it a bit, but beginning next season, Idol's days at the top of the ratings will be over. It will still probably get better ratings than a lot of other stuff they could air, so it will hang on for a few more seasons for that reason. But I really do expect viewership and national pop culture interest to wane significantly. In fact, I look for the ratings to slip this season; one, because of Simon's lame duck status and, two, because of the addition of Ellen.
    If Kara didn't sink the show, how could Ellen?

I think the show would be better with no judges at all. Their opinions don't count anyway once live voting begins.

I would much rather hear more singing, contestant spotlights and interviews than listen to the judges spew the same old drivel every week. The judges haven't said anything new or interesting since Season 1.

Turn Off Ads?