Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight...

Re: Losing Weight...

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Since we're all on this topic. I started Nutrisystem last week. I'm 50, 6'1" 200 lb, so not terribly overweight, but well above the recommended 160-180.
    It's expensive, limiting, the food's not great (or terrible either), but I can feel it working already.

Will post again after my 28 days of food are done.
    Goodluck with nutrisystem. My uncle tried it, and we both hated the food. Anxious to see if it really works.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    Goodluck with nutrisystem. My uncle tried it, and we both hated the food. Anxious to see if it really works.
    You know, even on their commercials the food looks nasty. If they can't even dress it up for that...

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Since we're all on this topic. I started Nutrisystem last week. I'm 50, 6'1" 200 lb, so not terribly overweight, but well above the recommended 160-180.
    It's expensive, limiting, the food's not great (or terrible either), but I can feel it working already.

Will post again after my 28 days of food are done.
    I had great luck with Nutrisystem but as soon as I quit the program I put it back on quickly.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I had great luck with Nutrisystem but as soon as I quit the program I put it back on quickly.
    That's what would scare me.

This is the first time I've tried any type of "diet". When I started I decided that this was going to be a lifestyle change for me. So I picked something that I could live with. That's what I love about the cheat day. I make myself sick sometimes. Last week I had donuts and French toast for breakfast. I get my fill and I'm almost happy to go back to eating healthier the rest of the week.

I have no desire whatsoever to go back to eating the way I used to.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I lost about 40 pounds last year training for the Columbus half marathon. No diet change at all really. Still have a little more to lose, will be running Cap City this spring (considered the Flying Pig full, but I don't think I'm ready just yet).
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I've dropped about 15 pounds since I quit driving. It's amazing the stuff you will consume when you have to drive all night...and the quantities.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I started eating better and working out over the last few weeks. Started mid-January, and am down about 20 lbs. I love the free My Fitness Pal app- it has really helped a lot. I'm also using the Couch to 5K app and hitting the treadmill 3x a week.

I want to echo the love for the MyFitness phone app. I installed it on my Droid and it has been an integral tool in helping myself keep track of exactly how many calories I take in. The huge side effect of calorie counting is that in order for it to be accurate, you almost have to stop eating at restaurants and you are forced to measure your portions.

Losing weight becomes much easier when you avoid fast food/restaurants which deal almost exclusively in fatty and high calorie foods, and you learn to appreciate correct portion sizes. I've lost 6 lbs in under 2 weeks using the MyFitness app (which has nutrition information for basically everything I get at Trader Joes) and I've learned how much better/fun it is to enjoy 4-5 different foods per meal (but in tiny portions) than to have 1 giant sandwich and 1 giant serving of fries. When I use correct portions I can enjoy a breakfast feast of turkey, eggs, fiber cereal and mixed vegetables and I'm eating way less calories than if I got the smallest breakfast meal at a restaurant (the sad, plain, flavorless 2 eggs/hashbrowns/toast).

With all that said, I've had to force myself to stay home more than I normally like to. If I was out running around everyday and night it would be much harder. But I've found that there are fast food places out there that will offer 1 or 2 "crunch time" alternatives. Got stuck running errands and had a grilled chicken ensalada at Baja Fresh today, only 300 calories which fits into my per meal plan. However, when the lady offered me their free complimentary chips I quickly turned into this:

Last edited by frenetic wave; 03-07-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I just finished my first month (28 days) on Nutrisystem. I lost 10 pounds.
    I'm continuing for another month.

Overall, I'm satisfied. Sure, the food is not great, but there's not a lot to expect from ready to go and frozen meals. I took their standard package for the first month, but now I've eliminated the stuff I didn't like and included more of my favorites for the second month (you can customize). And I didn't get overweight by eating gourmet food (well, some). I've eaten my share of junk over the years.

The best thing is it's structured. You know what you are going to eat and the routine takes care of itself. Sometimes you do get hungry, but no real suffering. It helps if you bunch your meals closer (later breakfast, earlier dinner). You get snacks at mid-morning and mid-afternoon and an after-dinner dessert. It's all about portion control and keeping you under about 1500 cal/day.

During the month, I passed a kidney stone. I'm pretty sure it was because of the change in diet and all the water I drank (the passingm that is not the stone formation; the stone has been there for a while). Very painful.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Just finished my second month on Nutrisystem.
    Lost another 6 pounds (total 16). The difference is notable.
    Will do another month to finish the food I bought and then try to maintain.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Since I started eating right and exercising back on January 17, I'm down over 30 lbs. (about 2.8 lb/week). I've done nothing except count calories and run on a treadmill 1-3 times a week.

A couple of weeks ago I ran 8 miles in about 1 1/2 hr. This mornig I worked on my speed and ran a mile in 9:24. Not great by any means, but a big improvement for me. I'd like to drop another 20-30 lb. and maintain that weight.

I also registered for the Redlegs Run 5K in June. Anyone else here participating?
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Since I started eating right and exercising back on January 17, I'm down over 30 lbs. (about 2.8 lb/week). I've done nothing except count calories and run on a treadmill 1-3 times a week.

A couple of weeks ago I ran 8 miles in about 1 1/2 hr. This mornig I worked on my speed and ran a mile in 9:24. Not great by any means, but a big improvement for me. I'd like to drop another 20-30 lb. and maintain that weight.

I also registered for the Redlegs Run 5K in June. Anyone else here participating?

Don't kid yourself Eric. Those are great times for someone who's running for the first time(or at least first time in a long time.)

I've mentioned before but I have found a rhythm which works for me where I run for 3 minutes, then walk for 1, then run for 3 and so on. This helps me go longer distances, I ran the Columbus Marathon last October doing this.

When is the Redlegs Run 5K? I'm running a half marathon towards the end of May, and a full marathon probably in November, so the end of June would be a good time for me to do a 5K.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    When is the Redlegs Run 5K? I'm running a half marathon towards the end of May, and a full marathon probably in November, so the end of June would be a good time for me to do a 5K.

The run is Saturday, June 17. Here is the site:
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/community/race.jsp

It would be fun if we could get a few RZers together after the race for lunch or something.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Forgot about this thread. I got to 160 lbs and went to Basic Training... maintained weight there but lost alot of fat. Once I got out, started working out pretty hardcore, dropped some more body fat % as well as dropping down to 150 lbs. Went to Officer Candidate School and gained 10 lbs of all muscle, as well as a little more body fat. Looking good and staying in shape.

Keep up your diets/workouts. If I can do it, anyone can

Anyone know a good place to train in how to properly add muscle from the waist up? Even back into high school and middle school I played soccer and could do just about anything waist down but could never find any help/strength from the waist up. Im at 210 right now probably wouldn't hurt to lose 10-15 lbs of fat thats largely based around the stomach area but my main goal is to put some weight on my frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?