Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight...

Re: Losing Weight...

That is way too skinny....don't you think? What happens if you get caught over the Donner Pass? Your body has to have some fat to live off.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I've been dieting since early October, just recently began exercising/working out on a regular basis... so far so good. I weighed 195 when I first started, and today I'm at 175. I was actually at 205 lbs this past May, so I've came along way.

Initially, 175 was my goal but now that I'm there, I'm looking to get down to 160 and then add some muscle weight back up to 175.

Anyway, I had a few questions. I'm looking to join the Air Force, which has weight restrictions (175 for my height)... I need to clear that at least by ten pounds. Basically, I'm still needing to lose a little.

Since I've just recently started to do a heavy work out, should I think about drinking protein shakes? At this point, I really don't want to gain any weight, but I would like to burn away the fat. Is this a good idea or not?

Also, my buddy is finally starting to get into a health kick. Probably weighs about 250 (at about 5'11/6'0")... needs to drop significant weight. He's already thinking about buying protein shakes for his workouts. I told him he would probably want to avoid it since he is wanting to drop a bunch of weight. Someone else told him that it would turn the fat into muscle, but I'm not real sure about it.

What do you guys think? Any nutritionists on this board?
    First CONGRATS on losing the weight!!!!! What you are doing is an extremely difficult thing to accomplish. At 5'7" and 175lbs, you're just a tick above a normal, healthy weight range (BMI=27 and the ideal is under 25).

If I were you, I'd start strength/aerobic training while maintaining a roughly similar caloric intact. The protein shakes are a good idea to support the muscle growth. Then play it by ear concerning the calories. You're probably getting really good at listening to your body by now.

In that scenario, you shouldn't gain a ton of weight but your body composition should begin to dramatically change (your remaining fat should get burned and the energy used to support the muscle hypertrophy while your protein intake gives your muscle the necessary amino acids to help muscle grow). Take lots of vitamin supplements. You might want to try a powder like a Propel too. Its calorie-free, loaded with vitamins including the Bs (for energy), has caffeine (energy and increase metabolism to help burn fat) and is simply added to water so it encourages you to drink ample H20 (which is a healthy thing).

I would think the strength training would serve you well going into the Navy...

Anyway, best of luck. I'm sure you're an inspiration for a lot of folks.
    Last edited by jojo; 01-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Try the PX90. I usually don't buy infomercial crap, but this is legit.
    I've done P90x and I was in the best shape of my life. And then about 3 months before my son I was born working out went out the window and I didn't start back up until he was almost a year. So right now I'm trying to get in shape to do P90x again.

For the past 3 weeks I have been doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLK28BHJDd8

If you want to slim down quick, I'd highly recommend it. It's really hard, I threw up twice in the first week. My wife has been doing it for a month and I can definitely see a difference.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Try the PX90. I usually don't buy infomercial crap, but this is legit.
    Don't waste your money. P90X will work if you do what they say, but here's my analysis in a nutshell. P90X does not have some magic formula. The program revamps your diet and has you work out hard every day for 3 straight months. Well duh, if you stop eating crap, start eating the right foods for losing weight and gaining muscle, and work out hard every day 3 months you're going to lose weight and gain muscle. There's no magic formula.

My advice is instead of buying their program and buying their food do it on your own and save the money. If you do a little online research on what you should be eating to lose weight and gain muscle, and put yourself through strenuous cardio and weight lifting exercises every day you will without a doubt drop weight and gain muscle.

Now please send me a few hundred dollars for my advice.

Retired

Nice job on the weight loss. I lost 25 pounds by cutting out pop. I used to drink anywhere from 6-8 cans of Coke a day. I dropped that, and only drink water now, you'd be suprised how much weight stuff like that puts on you. Now I don't think I could even drink a full can of Coke if I tried with all the sugar in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Don't waste your money. P90X will work if you do what they say, but here's my analysis in a nutshell. P90X does not have some magic formula. The program revamps your diet and has you work out hard every day for 3 straight months. Well duh, if you stop eating crap, start eating the right foods for losing weight and gaining muscle, and work out hard every day 3 months you're going to lose weight and gain muscle. There's no magic formula.

My advice is instead of buying their program and buying their food do it on your own and save the money. If you do a little online research on what you should be eating to lose weight and gain muscle, and put yourself through strenuous cardio and weight lifting exercises every day you will without a doubt drop weight and gain muscle.

Now please send me a few hundred dollars for my advice.
    Well you're not exactly paying for just advice. I played sports in college and I've never done any type of workout that changed my muscles as fast as P90X did. No, it's no magic formula and no where has anyone claimed that it is. But the workouts are designed in a specific way to combat plateau and that's probably the biggest difference I noticed over just lifting weights and working out on my own. Sure you could probably figure out a way to do that on your own, but it seems easier to just use a plan already tested and layed out for you.

Yes, like you said, you could diet on your own and work hard 6 days a week and you will get results. I don't think you'll get the same type of results as you'd get with P90X though and I've done it both ways. All I know is that with P90X I was more "ripped" than I've ever been in my life, including my time during basketball in college.

Now, I didn't pay for any of their food or anything and I didn't follow the diet plan all that close. I eat pretty well anyway so I just kept it sensible. I bought the program on eBay for 70 bucks, so I don't know about "a few hundred dollars".
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Nice job on the weight loss. I lost 25 pounds by cutting out pop. I used to drink anywhere from 6-8 cans of Coke a day. I dropped that, and only drink water now, you'd be suprised how much weight stuff like that puts on you. Now I don't think I could even drink a full can of Coke if I tried with all the sugar in it.
    Saw a report in Men's Health one day that said one can of regular pop a day equates to an 10 pounds a year.

Cutting out caloric drinks is a good way to lose weight. Yes that includes juice as well as beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Saw a report in Men's Health one day that said one can of regular pop a day equates to an 10 pounds a year.

Cutting out caloric drinks is a good way to lose weight. Yes that includes juice as well as beer.
    This.

Drink water (or diet sodas if you must), and get some regular exercise.

Limit alcohol consumption and cut the crap out of your diet.

I'm also a big fan of the philosophy of taking the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator whenever possible.

What was getting me was easy to make food. Frozen burritos, frozen pizzas, ramen noodles, etc. Oh, and HOT DOGS. 11 g of fat per hot dog. Although, I'll eat skyline regardless of any diet I'm on.

Then of course pop, koolaid, juice, regular milk, sweet tea, etc. were all that I drank... even powerade has quite a few calories.

Mostly I've just been worrying about the grams of fat in the food/drinks that I eat. I'm not big on watching carbs and things like that, although I do avoid them at all costs in my drinks.

For example, I'll have a bowl of Special K cereal (w/ skim milk) for breakfast. 0.5 g of total fat, but 20 something carbs.

Although, I'll eat skyline regardless of any diet I'm on.
    Well, there's dieting and then there's just plain being crazy.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Oh, and HOT DOGS. 11 g of fat per hot dog. Although, I'll eat skyline regardless of any diet I'm on.
    Thats why god made turkey, for fat free hot dogs. No fat and only 45(ish, depending brand) calories each.

My favorite part about losing weight was people responses. "You look great! What did you do?" Like I found a magic lamp and my wish was to lose weight or something. Umm, eat less and exercise more

I've been reading this for a while, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on if you had a plan to lose around 100lbs. I'm 6'4" and about 360, which is way too much. But I also have a big frame, so its not like I'm stuck in a wheelchair or anything yet. I don't wanna get there, so while I still can move and in some shape.

I played college football last year, but had to transfer due to money. And after that I just put on a lot of weight in a years time. I wanna get down to 260 or 270. I was 280 as a freshman in HS, but only 6 ft tall. I think that 260-70 and 6'4" would look good on me.
    Let's make some noise!

1. Go through your home & throw away all of the junk food. All of it. Don't buy any more. Someone offers it to you, say "no thanks".

2. Come up with a plan to get some regular cardio exercise. Move around as much as you can during the day. Take the stairs every time.

3. When you get hungry, first thing you do is drink 32 oz of water. Then you can have something to eat, like an apple, some celery & carrots, grapes, etc.

Those are some small things, but they'll get you started. Set a modest goal (5 lbs in the first 2 weeks?) and go from there.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    I've been reading this for a while, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on if you had a plan to lose around 100lbs. I'm 6'4" and about 360, which is way too much. But I also have a big frame, so its not like I'm stuck in a wheelchair or anything yet. I don't wanna get there, so while I still can move and in some shape.

I played college football last year, but had to transfer due to money. And after that I just put on a lot of weight in a years time. I wanna get down to 260 or 270. I was 280 as a freshman in HS, but only 6 ft tall. I think that 260-70 and 6'4" would look good on me.
    What do you enjoy doing?

As mentioned above take all caloric drinks out of your house. Make sure you drink a lot of water. Watch what you eat. I don't think extreme diets work and think you need to eat stuff you enjoy from time to time. Also step on that scale religously. If you are attempting to lose weight, weigh your self at set intervals. Weigh your self every Monday and Friday and track your progress. Wright down everything you eat. Just some tips I have used before.

I've lost 5 pounds in the last 3 weeks, and just joined a gym a couple of days ago. I've made some changes to my diet, but obviously need to do some more, but still think I've gotten off to a good start. Cutting out soft drinks has been easier than I expected.

Turn Off Ads?