Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight...

Re: Losing Weight...

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Anyone know a good place to train in how to properly add muscle from the waist up? Even back into high school and middle school I played soccer and could do just about anything waist down but could never find any help/strength from the waist up. Im at 210 right now probably wouldn't hurt to lose 10-15 lbs of fat thats largely based around the stomach area but my main goal is to put some weight on my frame.
    If you want to get really serious about putting on some upper body muscle mass, your best bet is probably joining a gym and putting together a thorough workout routine that you stick to week after week. If you have any friends/relatives who workout regularly, pick their brain for exercise ideas and instruction on form and technique. If you'd be able to get to a gym with any of them, even better.

If you don't have any friends/relatives who can show you some things, you might want to consider a small personal training package. Personal trainers are expensive though so if you have to go with that option my suggestion would be to buy the smallest training package possible and ask them to put together a basic weekly upper body routine for you. Learn the form and technique of those exercises they show you, run through the routine with them for a few sessions, then dump the expense of the training sessions. Once you're comfortable and confident in the exercises they show you, there's no need to pay them to stand and watch you do what you know how to do. From there, get to know people in the gym, observe different things that different guys do, pick up some tips and tweak your routine along the way.

I could give you a laundry list of exercises, but you'd be much better served having someone show you how to do them. Proper form is critical, both in achieving results and preventing injury. Your shoulders are particularly vulnerable to injury during various shoulder and chest exercises. If any exercise gives you uncomfortable pain, particularly shoulder pain, stop doing it. There are all sorts of different exercises you can do to target a specific muscle so avoid the exercises that cause pain.

As for the fat burning - including the stomach fat - my best suggestion is to do various HIIT cardio immediately after your weight resistance workouts. Sprints work very well. Bikes aren't bad either. Just make sure to stretch thoroughly before and after. Throwing in some HIIT sessions after the weights will spike your metabolism for the rest of the day. This means that after your workout when 7pm hits and you find the couch to watch the Reds, you're still burning significant calories and fat.

Diet is paramount too so if you want some diet tips just let me know.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.shapefit.com/trainingmap.html

For some exercise ideas check this out. They give the exercise name as well as an example.

If you aren't familiar with a weight room it would be helpful to go with someone who does lift weights or get a personal training package. Probably the most important thing is to learn the proper form.

Once you get the hang of things you should be fine on your own. The key is to incorporate new exercises into your routine to stay fresh. One last thing to putting on muscle is to challenge yourself. Make sure you have the proper form but you also are pushing yourself. I have seen way too many people in the gym do an exercise in which they exert little energy. You don't build muscle that way. If you aren't sweating and it seems to easy, increase the weight, reps, on intensity.

As for losing some weight the high intensity stuff works very well. Sprints, shuttle runs, and suicides (don't know what others call this one.) I have also found that interval training works wonders when trying to lose weight. Try doing a sprint then do 10-15 push ups right after that.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

The wife does Crossfit... She is petite though so she isnt losing a ton of weight but if you want to get seriously fit and strong...there you go. It's close to a complete lifestyle change though. I tried it and although it kicked by arse, I wasn't a huge fan of the almost religious concept the members put on it. Not cultist by any means, just SERIOUS. Which I suppose is good to a point but making it your identity can't be healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Anyone know a good place to train in how to properly add muscle from the waist up? Even back into high school and middle school I played soccer and could do just about anything waist down but could never find any help/strength from the waist up. Im at 210 right now probably wouldn't hurt to lose 10-15 lbs of fat thats largely based around the stomach area but my main goal is to put some weight on my frame.
    Boxing.

You might not gain HUGE muscles but you'll get bigger, stronger, and more toned. Plus, its fun. It will get rid of that 10-15 lbs too IMO.

I've been doing MMA... which isn't for everyone, but it works great. Boxing would do the same and would be a little less "dangerous" if thats not your thing. You could just learn the basics, hit the heavy bags, jump rope, etc. and get in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Forgot about this thread. I got to 160 lbs and went to Basic Training... maintained weight there but lost alot of fat. Once I got out, started working out pretty hardcore, dropped some more body fat % as well as dropping down to 150 lbs. Went to Officer Candidate School and gained 10 lbs of all muscle, as well as a little more body fat. Looking good and staying in shape.

Keep up your diets/workouts. If I can do it, anyone can
    I didn't know you were to OCS. How's it treating you? When can we call you Lt?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Just finished my second month on Nutrisystem.
    Lost another 6 pounds (total 16). The difference is notable.
    Will do another month to finish the food I bought and then try to maintain.
    Good Luck

I did Nutrisystem twice and both times within months I gained what I lost back. Nutrisystem works but the problem with me was once I got off the program I felt like i was released from prison and was ready to live it up!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I didn't know you were to OCS. How's it treating you? When can we call you Lt?
    You can call me LT right now if you like. I commissioned late March.

btw I just re-read my post... to clarify, I meant to say I gained 10 lbs of muscle at OCS as well as LOSING some body fat

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Good Luck

I did Nutrisystem twice and both times within months I gained what I lost back. Nutrisystem works but the problem with me was once I got off the program I felt like i was released from prison and was ready to live it up!!!
    That's frustrating. The benefit of losing the weight while eating real/regular food is that when your "diet" is done, you keep...eating regular food! There is no transition or re-education. All the hard work of learning what available normal foods fit in your diet has already been done.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Good Luck

I'm really going to try to avoid that. There are things I'm taking away from the experience that I plan to continue, such as the multiple servings of fruit and vegetable during the day and eating smaller portions.
    I also plan to continue to weigh myself daily.

The extra 20-30 lbs I was carrying around didn't get there overnight. It took me decades.

Thanks for wishing me luck. I'm going to need it. There's a lot of delicious food outside of the Nutrisystem prison.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Found this thread and wanted to see how everyone's weight is doing.

I'm 26, 5'10", and recently weighed in at 191 pounds, by far the most I've weighed. I completely changed my diet at the beginning of the month and dropped 11 pounds in four weeks just shifting my idea of what food is. I'm making it myself instead of heating it up or bringing it home, and it's done wonders. I allow myself to cheat when the situation calls for it (big family meal, no options besides a quick stop to Wendy's), and it hasn't affected me hardly at all. I also have tossed in a little bit of activity (basketball twice a week, usually a set of sprints on the weekend). Here's a very typical day for me:

A couple eggs and strips of turkey bacon for breakfast
    Spinach salad and a 100-calorie tuna salad pouch for lunch
    Grilled salmon and mixed vegetables for dinner

Decaf coffee after a meal helps tell me I'm done eating, so I don't crave sweets. If I need a snack, it's typically a handful of chopped nuts or a piece of mozzarella string cheese. No sugar drinks. MyFitnessPal app helps me stay under 2000 calories a day, and I weigh myself every morning and post it to Twitter to keep myself accountable and monitor my trends.

It's been really fun changing the way I eat, watching myself thin out, and already feeling way better throughout the day. I can't believe it took me so long to get to this point. Hopefully a little encouragement if you've fallen off the wagon recently.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

It's been a year and I've kept my extra weight off. I'm 6'1" 185 lb and the tables say I should drop another 10 lb, but I think I'm good for now.

No sugar drinks. Diet Coke, which is pure poison, but at least doesn't make me fat.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I just finished reading "Why We Get Fat" (http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat.../dp/0307272702). It was fascinating look at the subject from all sorts of points of view, very scientifically oriented. The short answer is the same one reached by Atkins, South Beach, etc. Our bodies aren't designed to run on the amount of sugar and carbohydrates we fill them with. Both spike our insulin and make our fat cells go nuts. Fat is a function of what your body does to the food that you put it in. Certain kinds of foods get treated differently. And once your body chemistry gets out of whack, your food cravings adjust to maintain it. You aren't fat because you're eating "too much"; you're eating too much because your fat. Counting calories doesn't it get it done because fat isn't a function of energy regulation.

What I love about the approach the book recommends is that its just so logical. If you're on a diet that leaves you hungry, your body is telling you that you aren't doing it right. If eating leaves you lethargic instead of energized, you aren't doing it right. Basically don't worry about how much you're eating, worry about eating stuff your body doesn't need.

I've cut out sugar almost completely and drastically lowered carbs and I'm down from 245 to 220 over the last 6 months. What's crazy to me is how much you notice the change in sensitivities. If I have a big meal of pasta now, I can feel my body react. Things that previously didn't taste particularly sweet are now quite sweet, like milk. Overall I just feel so much better and I'll never have to stop "dieting".
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-27-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    So I had reconstructive ACL surgery in September. From when I tore my ACL playing basketball in August until around the middle of December I really didn't do much athletic and for the first time in my life I put on weight...FAT. I put on about 25 lbs. At first I thought it was funny. I'm 29, 6'2" and I weighed 230lbs on December 17th.

I decided also for the first time in my life that I was going to have to eat very healthy. I didn't eat bad before, but I also didn't really worry about what I ate. I picked up Tim Ferriss' book and decided to follow the "Slow Carb" diet.

It's pretty simple. I avoid white carbs, sugar and eat a lot of protein. And one day a week I get to eat whatever the hell I want. I honestly thought that I would struggle since I've never dieted before, but it's been fairly easy.

I allow myself to go off "diet" for a meal here and there for special occasions outside of my "cheat day". Because I don't consider myself on a diet, for me this is a lifestyle change and since I don't have a specific time table and I'm in it for the long haul a meal here and there isn't a problem in the big picture.

I can say that I am down to 210. And that's mostly just the change in diet. Because of my knee up until about a week and half ago I couldn't put in any hard workouts. Now that I'm working out hard again I expect to slide right on past 200 lbs, not too much though.
    Still doing this ^

Crazy, down to 178 right now. I had to have another knee procedure and I stopped lifting for a couple weeks and stopped taking extra protein and I dropped down to 169. This 'diet' has been one of the easiest things I've ever done. I'm never hungry and I don't count anything, I just eat.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I just finished reading "Why We Get Fat" (http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat.../dp/0307272702). It was fascinating look at the subject from all sorts of points of view, very scientifically oriented. The short answer is the same one reached by Atkins, South Beach, etc. Our bodies aren't designed to run on the amount of sugar and carbohydrates we fill them with. Both spike our insulin and make our fat cells go nuts. Fat is a function of what your body does to the food that you put it in. Certain kinds of foods get treated differently. And once your body chemistry gets out of whack, your food cravings adjust to maintain it. You aren't fat because you're eating "too much"; you're eating too much because your fat. Counting calories doesn't it get it done because fat isn't a function of energy regulation.
    You know, I didn't think about this until recently, but I've never had a problem with weight (knock on wood). And I've decided that this is probably 40% genetics/physical activity, 2% vegetarianism (I'm technically a pescetarian), and 58% due to the fact that I've never had a soda in my entire life.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

I'm a yo-yo with a rather tight spectrum - anywhere from 155 to 175. But I'm only 5'8" so when I reach that 170 mark it's not a good thing, especially since I carry all my weight in my gut. No arse, no legs - all gut.

I'm a carbaholic and my exercise "routine" is laughable. I'm active in that I have four kids that keep me busy, but I don't lift weights and I only run when it's convenient for me. Speaking of four kids, I eat a lot of pizza, burgers, fries, and other naughty foods, not to mention the nightly rusty nails and poker night beers.

Recently I became a member of Genesis Pure and am going to start a new routine. I know myself well enough that I will never entirely cut out those foods from my diet, but I certainly have the will power to cut back. The day after Labor Day (my products should arrive by then) I will start taking the green coffee bean extract, a metabolic boost, and a fruit & fiber mix made with high antioxidant fruits and berries (apparently it supports internal cleansing, which ought to be interesting.)

Usually when I concentrate on what I'm ingesting, I tend to be more vigilant with my exercising. With the temps falling back into the 70s and 80s instead of those insane days in the 100s, it's much more palatable to go running. So I'm thinking by the end of September, I'll dip back below that 160 threshold.

Maybe I'll use this thread to hold myself accountable...
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Turn Off Ads?