Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight...

Re: Losing Weight...

Also, watch how much you are eating. Cut back as much as you can without giving in. Gradually decrease how much you are eating. NEVER go back for more. To me, it seems like the stomach will shrink over time (I really don't know if this is true)... But when I did this, if I happened to eat too much one day, I'd be in a lot of pain.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it's important to accept the changes you make as somewhat permanent. For instance with programs like p90x, what happens after 90 days is just as important. If your goal is a lifetime of healthy food and activity, you're in a much better place to combat situations where you didn't eat the healthiest, you drank 30 beers last weekend, or missed a few days of working out. It's not so much falling off the wagon as living your life.

The membership/exclusivity of working out with people that want your money can make you feel like an outsider before and after the year membership, 90 day program or whatever. That said, these paid professionals have really good advice, and really good ideas, so paying them for that resource is something they've earned, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What do you enjoy doing?
    I love to play baseball/fast pitch softball, go to the Y and lift and play a little basketball. I try to go at least 3 times a week, but it's hard to do with school, and 2 jobs.
    Let's make some noise!

Anybody know anyone who had the lap band? It seemed like an epidemic of people where I work who had it done. Totally amazing results.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    I love to play baseball/fast pitch softball, go to the Y and lift and play a little basketball. I try to go at least 3 times a week, but it's hard to do with school, and 2 jobs.
    If you enjoy playing sports try to play as much as possible. Its much easier to play some sport that you enjoy than to workout, which many people don't enjoy. Basketball is a great workout and if you enjoy playing it makes it much easier.

Its hard but watching what you eat is a great way to lose weight even if you can't get to the gym as much as you like. Its the thing I struggle with the most but it does work.

so hows everyones weight going now ? im about 6 ' 2 and weighed 241 pounds back in january. after hunting season was over i decided to get back in the gym and right now im down to 215. ive also been taking hydroxycut hardcore since it came back on the shelf. i used to take it when i was in college.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I didn't post on this thread originally, but I am trying to lose some weight.

My Cholesterol came back on the high side (240), but instead of taking the meds, I decided to get serious about diet and exercise.
    Cut down on the food. Cheerios for breakfast instead of eggs. Big salads for lunch, light dinner and grazing the rest of the day. I get to the gym three times a week for about 350 calories of workout (not much, but something).
    I was already on diet Coke, but I ditched that for water.

I'm down 8 pounds in six weeks. Not hungry at all. I hope I can keep it up. I think I can. Less travel for business has helped. Hard to say no when the client or banker is paying.

Anyway. Nice work aubashbrother. 26 pounds. Impressive.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I didn't post on this thread originally, but I am trying to lose some weight.

My Cholesterol came back on the high side (240), but instead of taking the meds, I decided to get serious about diet and exercise.
    Cut down on the food. Cheerios for breakfast instead of eggs. Big salads for lunch, light dinner and grazing the rest of the day. I get to the gym three times a week for about 350 calories of workout (not much, but something).
    I was already on diet Coke, but I ditched that for water.

I'm down 8 pounds in six weeks. Not hungry at all. I hope I can keep it up. I think I can. Less travel for business has helped. Hard to say no when the client or banker is paying.

Anyway. Nice work aubashbrother. 26 pounds. Impressive.
    Aerobic exercise has protective effects against cardiac ischemia that are independent of weight lose----not an insignificant thing for those with high cholesterol...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Does anyone know any good place for nutritional advice? I am in a really bad way with my weight and know what I have to do on the exercise end of things. I have cut out the soda (except for maybe once or twice a week I'll have one) which dropped my blood pressure back to normal. I know alot of the basics but I'm faced with trying to make healthier decisions on a very limited budget. Would most of you just try cutting sweets, more carbs etc, and what isn't expensive but is a reasonable alternative that won't drive me crazy?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

check out jorge cruise's belly fat diet...cut your daily grams of sugar and you'll notice the gut will go down amazingly fast...

part of BBN

So does the diet drinks really hurt ? I have cut back but still probably drink 2 or 3 a day.
    How about coffee ? I have been drinking more coffee and I just drink it black.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    So does the diet drinks really hurt ? I have cut back but still probably drink 2 or 3 a day.
    Caffeine stimulates metabolism.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

There is a theory that suggests the arificial sweetener in diet drinks causes a bounceback craving in the brain, making you crave more sweets. And that stuff rots your teeth, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I have cut out the soda (except for maybe once or twice a week I'll have one) which dropped my blood pressure back to normal.?
    nm
    Last edited by George Anderson; 04-18-2010 at 03:29 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

One key to losing weight is to not do a heavy workout. That does two things which only lead to more weight.

1) Builds muscle, which weighs more than fat, so even if you replace an equal density of fat with muscle, you will gain weight.

2) Tricks your body into thinking that you will be working out hard all the time, so it slows down its metabolism, and releases an enzyme that reduces your bodies ability to break down calories.
    This is down because our bodies are still in the stone age, literally. We used to need to be able to store food for long periods of time, since we never knew when our next meal would come. Our bodies have not yet adapted to our ability to eat whenever we want, so it still is set up to maximize long term storage.
    One way the body does this, is to slow down and build up mass if it thinks that it will be burning off calories at a fast rate for a long time, like during a long and heavy workout.
    Every person is different, but if you want to lose weight, and that is your primary focus, you should do a light workout for no longer than 45 minutes three times a day, instead of one long workout for over an hour. This will keep your metabolism at a steady and fast rate, and help you lose weight overall.

Just for clarification, this is not the best way to become stronger, or build up endurance, but just the best way to lose weight.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?