Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight...

Re: Losing Weight...

I'm starting Insanity tomorrow. Should be interesting haha.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Rest up. Plyometric Circuit training will own you the first time you do it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    One key to losing weight is to not do a heavy workout. That does two things which only lead to more weight.

1) Builds muscle, which weighs more than fat, so even if you replace an equal density of fat with muscle, you will gain weight.

2) Tricks your body into thinking that you will be working out hard all the time, so it slows down its metabolism, and releases an enzyme that reduces your bodies ability to break down calories.
    This is down because our bodies are still in the stone age, literally. We used to need to be able to store food for long periods of time, since we never knew when our next meal would come. Our bodies have not yet adapted to our ability to eat whenever we want, so it still is set up to maximize long term storage.
    One way the body does this, is to slow down and build up mass if it thinks that it will be burning off calories at a fast rate for a long time, like during a long and heavy workout.
    Every person is different, but if you want to lose weight, and that is your primary focus, you should do a light workout for no longer than 45 minutes three times a day, instead of one long workout for over an hour. This will keep your metabolism at a steady and fast rate, and help you lose weight overall.

Just for clarification, this is not the best way to become stronger, or build up endurance, but just the best way to lose weight.
    45 minutes three times a day? Who has time for that? I devote about an hour to an hour an a half 4 or 5 times a week, but I couldn't do three separate workouts a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    45 minutes three times a day? Who has time for that? I devote about an hour to an hour an a half 4 or 5 times a week, but I couldn't do three separate workouts a day.
    Understandable. But that just is what works best.

And it can be as little as 20 minutes twice a day. The key is that you don't get your heart rate up too high for too long a period. That's what triggers the change in metabolism.

And as I said, it's not really the best program for you, just the best way to lose weight. Yours sounds much healthier overall.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    check out jorge cruise's belly fat diet...cut your daily grams of sugar and you'll notice the gut will go down amazingly fast...
    Thanks RedIC.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Finished it about a 2 weeks ago. I dropped about 10-15 pounds and got in great aerobic shape. It will kick you butt pretty much every episode. Just when you think that you got the hang of it and its going to get easier you start with the max video's and it gets even tougher.

Follow a diet religiously would be my only advice. The workouts are great but the real results are dependent on dieting.

Just did day 1. As predicted.....I got owned haha. Should be very challenging for 60 days.

Make sure you guys check out my health advice thread... Put that up in response to the discussion here...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

So I had reconstructive ACL surgery in September. From when I tore my ACL playing basketball in August until around the middle of December I really didn't do much athletic and for the first time in my life I put on weight...FAT. I put on about 25 lbs. At first I thought it was funny. I'm 29, 6'2" and I weighed 230lbs on December 17th.

I decided also for the first time in my life that I was going to have to eat very healthy. I didn't eat bad before, but I also didn't really worry about what I ate. I picked up Tim Ferriss' book and decided to follow the "Slow Carb" diet.

It's pretty simple. I avoid white carbs, sugar and eat a lot of protein. And one day a week I get to eat whatever the hell I want. I honestly thought that I would struggle since I've never dieted before, but it's been fairly easy.

I allow myself to go off "diet" for a meal here and there for special occasions outside of my "cheat day". Because I don't consider myself on a diet, for me this is a lifestyle change and since I don't have a specific time table and I'm in it for the long haul a meal here and there isn't a problem in the big picture.

I can say that I am down to 210. And that's mostly just the change in diet. Because of my knee up until about a week and half ago I couldn't put in any hard workouts. Now that I'm working out hard again I expect to slide right on past 200 lbs, not too much though.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 02-14-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So I had reconstructive ACL surgery in September. From when I tore my ACL playing basketball in August until around the middle of December I really didn't do much athletic and for the first time in my life I put on weight...FAT. I put on about 25 lbs. At first I thought it was funny. I'm 29, 6'2" and I weighed 230lbs on December 17th.

I decided also for the first time in my life that I was going to have to eat very healthy. I didn't eat bad before, but I also didn't really worry about what I ate. I picked up Tim Ferriss' book and decided to follow the "Slow Carb" diet.

It's pretty simple. I avoid white carbs, sugar and eat a lot of protein. And one day a week I get to eat whatever the hell I want. I honestly thought that I would struggle since I've never dieted before, but it's been fairly easy.

I allow myself to go off "diet" for a meal here and there for special occasions outside of my "cheat day". Because I don't consider myself on a diet, for me this is a lifestyle change and since I don't have a specific time table and I'm in it for the long haul a meal here and there isn't a problem in the big picture.

I can say that I am down to 210. And that's mostly just the change in diet. Because of my knee up until about a week and half ago I couldn't put in any hard workouts. Now that I'm working out hard again I expect to slide right on past 200 lbs, not too much though.
    Sounds pretty similar to what happened with me. I weighed about 160-165 when I blew out my knee. Wound up needing 3 surgeries over the next two years to get everything back to something around 70%. In that time, I put on about 30 pounds. Like you, I never worried about what I ate before (heck, I still don't all that much). Adding in more cardio, simply by being able to be more active and returning to somewhat closer to the lifestyle I had pre injury had gotten me back to 170, though winter has me back at 175.

I bought that book as well. Are you basically eating the same four or five meals over and over again as he suggests? Are you still eating bread and pasta if it is whole wheat (i.e. not white)?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I bought that book as well. Are you basically eating the same four or five meals over and over again as he suggests? Are you still eating bread and pasta if it is whole wheat (i.e. not white)?
    Yes to the same meals. Mostly. I usually cook, but occasionally I'll go get a burrito bowl.

No, to the bread and pasta. It seems like a gray area. I eat them on my cheat days.

I went from 236 to 199 from Dec 6th until last night. I havent been that in about 10 years.

For working out,all I did was workout on the elliptical for 30 minutes twice a day. Burning 580-600 calories at a time, so around 1,200 a day. Then after dinner, I take the dog for a walk around the circle. Just about a mile or so. I do this just so I dont feel full before going to bed. I did all of this with no running or weight lifting, other than playing basketball and such. I did get a diet pill from GNC. It is called Oxy-Elite. It is a purple pill that you take twice a day for 160 pills. It cost about $35. It was well worth it. It burns more fat when you work out. I could immediately tell a difference the 1st time I worked out because I have never sweated so much in my life.

As for food, it was simple as well. 2k calories a day. 500 for breakfast and lunch, and 1k for dinner. I basically force myself to eat breakfast now. A mix and match of 35 calorie slice of bread with low-fat cream or sometimes butter, 80 cal. yogurt from Kroger, any kind of fruit, sausage and egg white muffin from subway, or cherrios with skim milk. For lunch, I basically eat Subway everyday lol. A 6-inch wheat or flatbread sub. Mostly ham, turkey, chicken breast, low-fat buffalo chicken, or the italian BMT. My downfall was not eating mayo, so I get mustard or honey mustard which I too made myself like. Dinner is simple too. Any kind of fish that is non fried, any meat really, with a baked potato, veggies, or salad with low-fat dressing. It is best to eat dinner before 7:30. Which I am proud to say I have only eaten dinner 3-4 times after that since I started losing.

Fast food was my major problem. I used to eat Wendys, BK, McDonalds or whatever 1-2 times a day, atleast. I am proud to say that I havent had a buger and fries since that day I started. THey say a cheat day is good for your metabolism once every 1 1/2-2 weeks. By this means to put butter on a baked potato, or eat a couple slices of pizza, or use regluar dressing on a salad. Sorry, I know that was a lot, but I havent felt this good since I was 12 lol. It was the best thing that has happened to me. Hopefully I will lose about 20 more before May.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    Fast food was my major problem. I used to eat Wendys, BK, McDonalds or whatever 1-2 times a day, atleast. I am proud to say that I havent had a burger and fries since that day I started. THey say a cheat day is good for your metabolism once every 1 1/2-2 weeks. By this means to put butter on a baked potato, or eat a couple slices of pizza, or use regluar dressing on a salad. Sorry, I know that was a lot, but I havent felt this good since I was 12 lol. It was the best thing that has happened to me. Hopefully I will lose about 20 more before May.
    I had forgotten about this thread. In March, shortly after it was posted, I weighed in at 229 lbs. at the doctor. I'm 5'7", so that was a big number. I dillydallyed around for a few months and then in June or July, I went up and met with a dietary counselor at Christ Hospital. There they taught me about carbs.

I highlighted your section because I knew the first thing I had to do was stop all the insane eating I was doing between meals; the breakfast sandwiches with hash browns, a bacon cheeseburger in the middle of the day or some cheese coneys. I finally fessed up to my wife about that after I took off a lot of weight.

I'm now down to 182 with the goal of another 10-15 lbs. off, although I've been at this number since Thanksgiving. I was glad to make it through both holidays and my father-in-law's funeral without adding weight though. Mostly I'm watching the carbs, about 60 grams per meal, 15 grams at a snack time between meals and in the evening. That tallies to about 2/3 of the DRA. Plus I'm watching my portions and seconds and all of that.

I feel great for the first time in years. I'm sure when I first read this thread, I thought this was not possible. I'm still having to watch fats and such since I've had cholesterol and blood pressure issues, but it's amazing what carbs do to you.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Since we're all on this topic. I started Nutrisystem last week. I'm 50, 6'1" 200 lb, so not terribly overweight, but well above the recommended 160-180.
    It's expensive, limiting, the food's not great (or terrible either), but I can feel it working already.

Will post again after my 28 days of food are done.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?