Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2010 International signing period information

Re: 2010 International signing period information

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Frankie Piliere - Two Dozen International Free Agents Worth Knowing

Here's his report on Steilon Peguero, who the Reds are reportedly in on.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/05/17/t...worth-knowing/

Gotta love the Venezuelan shortstop's name. Roughned Odor. What a great name.

Thanks...OBM

2. Turn Off Ads?

The more I read about Martin Steylon Peguero the more I like him. Right now, I'd say he would be my number one target for the Reds, and it sounds like Reds like him a lot too. Apparently he's got great defensive ability and a ton of offensive upside. He would be a great addition to the organization, IMO. Eskarlin Vasquez is another guy I'd go after.

From MLBTradeRumors - Dominican Republic Top 10 July 2nd Prospects

1. Vicmal De La Cruz, OF. Has the best toolset of any player in this class. Upside as high as anyone.

2. Martin Steylon Peguero, SS. Hands down the best shortstop of this year's class.

3. Ariel Ovando, OF. – When two different scouts drop Darryl Strawberry comps, you take notice.

4. Phillips Castillo, OF. This outfielder is a lock for seven figures.

5. Wilmer Romero, OF. Still a bit of an unknown, but has the potential to move up on this list.

6. Eskarlin Vazquez, OF. Perhaps the most publicized player in this year's class. At 6'3", Vazquez has a projectable frame with good pop.

7. Jorge Feliz, RHP. A 92 mph fastball and feel for a curve earns him the highest pitcher’s spot.

8. Alberto Truinfel, SS. Little brother to Carlos Truinfel, Alberto also has Scott Boras as his agent.

9. Elvis Sanchez, 3B. His body has improved tremendously over the past year, allowing the possibility of sticking at third base for the long haul. If he continues to show off-the-charts power, it may be irrelevant.

T-10. Edwin Moreno, OF. Left-handed outfielder with pop and a strong body.

T-10. Luis Abad, RHP. Hitting 92 mph and weighing 160 pounds soaking wet, the 6'3" Abad is one of the most projectable pitchers you'll see.

T-10. Javier Pimentel, SS. A wide-shouldered shortstop with a solid bat and plenty of room for improvement.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...prospects.html

From Baseball America:

July 2 Prospect Video: Esteilon Peguero
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...8920#more-8920

July 2 Prospect Video: Edwin Moreno
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...8931#more-8931

July 2 Prospect Video: Ariel Ogando
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...8924#more-8924

July 2 Prospect Video: Vicmal de la Cruz
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...8927#more-8927

The Pirates are one of several teams pursuing elite Mexican pitching prospect Luis Heredia, according to a source in that country.

Heredia, 15, is a 6-foot-4 right-hander who has been described in several publications as having four "plus" pitches, in the scouting vernacular, meaning the potential for all of those -- fastball, changeup, slider and curveball -- to above-average at the Major League Baseball level.
    Other teams pursuing Heredia, according to the source, are the New York Yankees, San Francisco Giants, Los Angeles Dodgers, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers and Toronto Blue Jays.
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10153...#ixzz0piSSa1ZT

According to lollipopcurve, the Reds are one of the finalists for Venezuelan lefty Angel Mejias.

Here is the scouting report on Mejias from AOL Fanhouse:

4. Angel Mejias, LHP: Mejias completes the group that is being talked about as the elite four players in Venezuela. Right now, it appears that after Cardona, Nunez, Odor and then Mejias are the four best talents out of Venezuela this year. After that, it looks like a slight drop-off. Mejias has a solid 6-foot-3 frame and currently sits around 90 mph with the fastball.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/05/17/t...worth-knowing/

Resident PED Expert

3. Roughned Odor, SS: Odor has the ability to stick at shortstop, and scouts love his bat. He's expected to be a plus average hitter. The rumor is he is one of the top targets on the Yankees' radar screen.

Roughned Odor? Wow. I want this guy just because.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    3. Roughned Odor, SS: Odor has the ability to stick at shortstop, and scouts love his bat. He's expected to be a plus average hitter. The rumor is he is one of the top targets on the Yankees' radar screen.

Roughned Odor? Wow. I want this guy just because.
    I wonder what his nick name is. "Freshy"

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I wonder what his nick name is. "Freshy"
    I would love to see his reaction when someone tells him what his name translates to in English.

"Hardened stank"
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

From Baseball America:

Dominican outfielder Edwin Moreno—one of the top 16-year-old prospects eligible to sign when the international signing period begins on Friday—has tested positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol, according to several sources in the Dominican Republic, including his own trainer.
    Baez said that all of the players tested positive for stanozolol, an anabolic steroid commonly sold under the name Winstrol, but he said their use was unintentional because the drug came from an over-the-counter supplement that did not list it as one of the ingredients.

"What they're doing with this kid is really, really unfair," Baez said. "This kid has worked since he was 13 with me to do what he does. They investigated the age and it was 100 percent accurate.
    Moreno was believed to be in line for a seven-figure bonus, with multiple sources pointing to the Mets as a possible destination. The lefthanded Moreno, who is from Santiago, stands out both at the plate and in the field with a wide range of skills. Listed at 6-foot-1, 183 pounds, Moreno has a good approach to hitting, with feel for making contact. His ability to drive the ball when he gets a good pitch to hit has come around in recent months, and he stood out at a workout at the Reds' complex within the past week, hitting two home runs against live pitching.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0/2610286.html

I'd sign him despite the anabolic steroid usage. I think, in this case, you shouldn't punish the kid for an adult's mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd sign him despite the anabolic steroid usage. I think, in this case, you shouldn't punish the kid for an adult's mistake.
    Agreed. If anything, it may lower his price tag.

If I took a drug test Id probably fail it due to some anabolic steroid in a supplement. There is no real rules on that type of thing being mixed in. Its not a big deal if the story is true.

I don't trust any single player from Latin America. They have made millions and millions for their families and agents for years off lying about their age and using steroids.

This isn't a mistake probably. It's been going on for years and luckily it seems to be getting regulated more.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I don't trust any single player from Latin America. They have made millions and millions for their families and agents for years off lying about their age and using steroids.

This isn't a mistake probably. It's been going on for years and luckily it seems to be getting regulated more.
    I don't think you can blame the kids at all in about 99% of the cases. The buscones are very shady down there. As for the 'drugs', you can buy stuff at GNC, lots of stuff, that will test positive for steroids.

Turn Off Ads?