Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: will the next cheater come on down!

will the next cheater come on down!

who will be next?

I gotta say if I'm Sosa or Bonds I gotta be thinking this is my opportunity....all McGwire's mistakes are fresh and if I go stand beside him and say all the right things I could actually look like a hero for taking my portion of the heat and could actually get some sympathy.

McGwire should've done this very thing when ARod was getting hammered...IMO he would've won over some of the fans/writers

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: will the next cheater come on down!

With the exception of David Segui, nobody's admitted to cheating- they all took steroids to heal injuries LOL....

I don't think Sosa will ever admit, he's the only one with no real evidence against him.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't think Sosa will ever admit, he's the only one with no real evidence against him.
    Didn't he blow up with Rick Reilly presented him with a cup to pee in (or something to that effect). I'd consider that circumstancial evidence.

Neither Sosa or Bonds will ever admit anything, at least until the HOF (hopefully) ignores both.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Didn't he blow up with Rick Reilly presented him with a cup to pee in (or something to that effect). I'd consider that circumstancial evidence.
    Yeah, but he had a good defense. He stated it was against the collective bargaining agreement with the union and it was.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Neither Sosa or Bonds will ever admit anything, at least until the HOF (hopefully) ignores both.

I think the best way to handle HOF consideration is to insert a stake in the ground at the beginning of PED use (hard to determine, I know) and that anything that takes place after that point should be considered null for HOF consideration. My justification for this is simple: a player's integrity is a guideline for the BBWAA voters. The moment a player takes PEDs, one must assume that the player's integrity for the game is henceforth compromised. Don't deny the career stats, that's barking up the wrong tree. But exclude them from consideration to the HOF. Thus, IMO, Bonds belongs in the Hall despite the last third of his career being a total sham. McGwire's HOF consideration is then based on the four-ish years he supposedly didn't juice and has no shot. Likewise Sosa.

Additionally, Sosa and Bonds have nothing to gain by admitting PED use. What did McGwire gain by it? For his HOF consideration, it didn't help according to the polls after the Costas interview. The only reason McGwire spoke is he felt the need to remove the assured distraction for his employer. And even that remains to be seen if it worked.
    Last edited by paintmered; 01-16-2010 at 02:22 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Neither Barry Bonds nor Roger Clemens can dare admit to using steroids so long as making such admission would increase the chances that the government could could convict them of perjury.
    From a tactical standpoint "coming clean" hasn't appeared to help McGwire or A-Rod in the court of public opinion, nor did finally admitting to betting on baseball after a mere two decades of lying about it help Pete Rose.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yeah, but he had a good defense. He stated it was against the collective bargaining agreement with the union and it was.
    I thought the story according to Reilly was that Sosa was willing to take a steroids test any time because he had never used steroids and didn't want any speculation. So Reilly showed up for an interview with a cup and had made arrangements for a lab to analyze the sample that day. Which led to Sosa blowing up at Reilly and leaving the interview.

He just changed the reasoning later as to why he couldn't take the test, just like he forgot how to speak English in front of congress. He couldn't even say " baseball been very, very good to me"

There is no way he could've taken that test as a member of the players union (well he could have but he would have taken a severe amount of heat and probably looked at as an outsider).

He shot his mouth off and got called on it....

Whether he would've passed the test is another story I guess.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Concerning steroids and players coming clean, given the way the discussion is currently framed by the national media, I'm having trouble seeing what would be gained by more players coming clean. How would it move the discussion forward in a meaningful way?

At this point it seems mostly about titillation and driving clicks.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

They were a part of the game and baseball had no rules against them. So how can they be punished if the game of baseball did not have rules against them. Does A-Rod not get in for admitting to using them?

You can not put a stake in the ground and say from this point on no one gets in. What about Jr. He was a part of that ERA but so far he has been totally out of the speculation. If anything when he was hurt, he was hurt. He did not take roids to to keep playing.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

why would anyone else come forward? good question but who thought McGwire was going to come forward? probably not him I'm guessing. Anyway I'm just saying if it's ever gonna happen for these guys this would be a good opportunity.

As for the heat McGwire is taking for his admission....if he had swallowed his pride and actually been truthful with us during the infamous interview he might not be catching so much grief right now.

btw someone mentioned Pete and I get tired of hearing freakin' Scott Graham bash Rose with every caller that brings it up. For me the comparisons with gambling and steroids are valid as they relate to the game. Gambling is such a sin because they want to(let's all say it together)"protect the integrity of the game". Steroids otoh is considered cheating by everyone(including Graham)and what hurts the integrity of our game more than cheating? I've never been in a major league clubhouse but I know there's a sign reminding everyone of the penalty for gambling so I guess since they don't have a sign that says "no cheating" then it makes it alright. maybe they should make a bigger sign and include some of the OTHER more obvious no-no's. I mean if someone is murdering, raping and pillageing(spelling?)and there's no sign to tell them otherwise how are these guys supposed to know?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Concerning steroids and players coming clean, given the way the discussion is currently framed by the national media, I'm having trouble seeing what would be gained by more players coming clean. How would it move the discussion forward in a meaningful way?

At this point it seems mostly about titillation and driving clicks.
    Agree 100%. I'm really tired of it, too.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Agree 100%. I'm really tired of it, too.
    Same, I really don't care.

Every era in baseball had cheating and steps were taken to either eliminate it, ignore it or integrate it into the game. This round of "cheating" isn't any more or less egregious than what came before.

Turn Off Ads?