Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Teams you thoroughly despise

Re: Teams you thoroughly despise

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The favorite teams of everyone who loaths Florida
    As Kevin might say, "They've got hot babes".

2. Turn Off Ads?

West Virginia University

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    West Virginia University
    Interesting...

I posted this in mine, but WVU is moving slowly up my list. Some of it has to do with the treatment of Marshall, but mostly the fans acting like world beaters.

Saw this today actually:

Dear God, this past year you have taken my favorite actor in Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress in Farah Fawcett, my favorite singer in Michael Jackson, and my favorite spokesperson in Billy Mays. I just wanted you to know that my favorite coach is Rich Rodriguez.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

NFL: Steelers, Cowboys
    NCAA FB: OSU, WVU
    NCAA BB: Xavier, OSU
    NBA: Lakers
    MLB: Cubs, Cards, Yankees

the entire American League,
    Yeah, I hate the DH, but the League's not all bad.

My AL favorites would be the Twins, Rangers, and Rays.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Steelers and Yankees.

And all college football teams.

Dallas Cowboys, NY Yankees, Duke, and UNC. Those are the only ones that I harbor real resentment for. Univ Tennessee football is up there.

Kinda shocked at all the KY Wildcat haters located in OH. I didn't think there was that much hate out there in Ohio since UK doesn't regularly play any OH teams and there are no SEC teams in OH. Was some of that due to this year's team? Calipari?
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Kinda shocked at all the KY Wildcat haters located in OH. I didn't think there was that much hate out there in Ohio since UK doesn't regularly play any OH teams and there are no SEC teams in OH. Was some of that due to this year's team? Calipari?
    I only saw two Ohio posters who listed UK. Unless I missed something. Actually, not many posters listed UK at all. I was expecting more.
    Last edited by BRM; 01-20-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Next Year

I hate everything about the Cubs, to the point that I take pleasure in their losing. It's even better when they get close and lose in heartbreaking ways. I eat that up.

I used to hate the Yankees, but for whatever reason it's turned to a general apathy. Now more I just hate Jeter honks.

Speaking of, I hate fans who are conference honks, like people who say any team from their conference would go undefeated in any other conference. But that's more just a despise of fans.

I also hate bandwagon fans, people who just like success who have a tenuous (at best) link to the teams they like. I tend to hate those teams that attract fans like this such as the Patriots.

I honestly don't despise any sports teams. I left such issues with my younger years.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    NCAA BB: IU (not so bad considering they are horrible at the moment)

I wouldn't say horrible. They've been OK this year...at least respectable

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    Dallas Cowboys, NY Yankees, Duke, and UNC. Those are the only ones that I harbor real resentment for. Univ Tennessee football is up there.

I'm a UK fan, but I can probably answer this.

Outside of Kentucky, most UK fans are perceived as crazy and obnoxious, in large part due to the history of the program. Running off a coach that was well respected and then firing his replacement after two seasons should be a testament to that. If UK fans get into an argument over how their team was doing in the prior years, it would be normal to bring up about how many national championships UK had. When you rely solely on tradition, you tend to alienate a lot of people. It's just like Notre Dame in football. Has not been relevant for some time, but the fans will still bring up their pride and tradition.

Of course, Kentucky has always been viewed as a shady program since the days of Adolph Rupp. The point shaving scandal during the 50's. Eddie Sutton's Emery Worldwide scandal during the 80's that almost landed us the death penalty, and the hiring of John Calipari who has already had two final fours vacated in his other two stops.

Basically, it's a combination of the fans, history, and the overall black cloud around the program.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wouldn't say horrible. They've been OK this year...at least respectable
    Yeah. Just when they start really packing on the wins and showing some upside, it's all I hear about here in SE Indiana. Times like now... I am enjoying the peace and quiet. (for the time being, I don't think it will be very much longer)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm a UK fan, but I can probably answer this...

Basically, it's a combination of the fans, history, and the overall black cloud around the program.
    I tolerate Kentucky and can definately explain why they're "hated" around the country.

1) Kentucky fans, despite their reputation, are largely ignorant about the sport, its history, and other programs. They insist UK is the greatest team year after year in the face of facts, proof, and evidence.

When the Cats lose, it's largely the fault of officials or blind luck. This goes beyond the typical childish mannerisms of most fanatics and crosses over into sheer stupidity. For example, I once went to a student's house to discuss his behavior with his father. When I arrived at the trailer, I had to step over a two-foot section of bare floor into the house. But in the living room, side by side, were two 65-inch big screen televisions, one of which had a hole in the middle of it. When I asked, the father shrugged and said, "Bad call on Magloire.")

Too, I've never seen fans of a team with such poor grammar and rhetoric skills. If you make a valid point on a Kentucky site wherein someone on the team or coaching staff is criticized (even slightly), you're immediately blackballed or expelled from the site, along with a variety of insulting epithets flung at your back for good measure (though, to be fair, most of them are misspelled or so poorly written they become garbled beyond recognition). In person, Kentucky fans are arrogant (for little personal reason) and insist-- my personal pet peeve-- on calling the team "we" (like they ever played the game of basketball or could spell it without serious help from the dictionary).

So yeah, poor fans.

2) That said...
    Kentucky has been good for so long that they're better than all other teams almost all the time. Al Macguire said, "They had it before you, they have it now, and they'll have it after you." They've won more games at a higher rate and with more NCAA wins than anyone. Twist that any way you like, they're the best program in the history of the game.

That tends to make fans of other teams nuts. Consistently great teams beating your favorite team year after year after year makes people slightly angry. Not only that, Kentucky is a fairly arrogant program. Other programs put up banners for Final Fours or Sweet Sixteens. Other programs retire numbers. UK only puts up banners for championships and the very best of the best.

To butcher a phrase from George Strait, they've been so good for so long and other teams just want them to go away.

Which leads to...
    3) Kentucky cheats. They've been caught (and suspected) virtually from the beginning of the game. In the 1950's, Kentucky kids (All-Americans Beard and Groza) got caught shaving points in New York. From that point forward, it seemed as if every whiff of possible problems with the NCAA was assumed guilty. Bill Spivey never cheated, but was accused endlessly without proof; his career was ruined because of it. The Cats also were suspected in the 70's (largely because their hometown newspaper won Pulitzer after Pulitzer looking for mud), but it was never proven. In the 80's, Emery Freight assured the world of Kentucky's guilt throughout the ages. And now, because of Calipari, they're guilty again.

Speaking of coaches, their greatest coach is gleefully called a racist by those that should know better. (The most anyone can argue against Rupp is that he wasn't willing to be a leader in integration in the South when he should have been. But he did play black kids as a coach in high school in Kansas in the 1920s and his first real recruit --i.e., going out of his way to ask a player to play for him-- was attempting to get Wes Unseld to Lexington.) He was unlucky enough to have lost to the first all-black starting lineup with an all-white starting lineup. (The year before, North Carolina was lilly white, but no one has ever accused the Tar Heels of racism.) This apparent racism was again "proven" when Tubby Smith was "fired" despite being "successful" (both claims that are ridiculous both on the surface and when studied).

Just imagine...
    You're a fan of Utah which, historically, has had a very good program. You've been a Ute for years. Your best team since the early 40's has a real chance of winning a national championship. But you come across the Cats. Again. They've beaten you four years in a row. You decide to go to the game and see thousands of Kentucky fans proudly decked out in silly outfits, most of them ignorant and unnecessarily confrontational. You see your team lost a heartbreaker and hear a fan say something about Tubby winning with Pitino's players and how he wished "we still had Piniter".

All of that would be hard to take, but, later that decade, you watch the movie Glory Road and figure out that Rupp guy was a real craphead that deserved to lose to those nice boys from Texas Western. Not only that, Tubby was fired and Dick Vitale all but guaranteed the state of Kentucky was all but setting cross fires on his lawn because he hadn't been to a Final Four in ten years. (Which once again reminds you of how close you were to winning it all before Kentucky came along.) You also hear, through the local Lexington newpaper on the net, that the Cats are paying their best player so much he can afford to drive a brand new $50,000 vehicle to games and practice and the new $40 million practice facility on the UK campus.

All in all, a recipe for hatred if ever there was one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I tolerate Kentucky and can definately explain why they're "hated" around the country.

1) Kentucky fans, despite their reputation, are largely ignorant about the sport, its history, and other programs. They insist UK is the greatest team year after year in the face of facts, proof, and evidence.

When the Cats lose, it's largely the fault of officials or blind luck. This goes beyond the typical childish mannerisms of most fanatics and crosses over into sheer stupidity. For example, I once went to a student's house to discuss his behavior with his father. When I arrived at the trailer, I had to step over a two-foot section of bare floor into the house. But in the living room, side by side, were two 65-inch big screen televisions, one of which had a hole in the middle of it. When I asked, the father shrugged and said, "Bad call on Magloire.")

Too, I've never seen fans of a team with such poor grammar and rhetoric skills. If you make a valid point on a Kentucky site wherein someone on the team or coaching staff is criticized (even slightly), you're immediately blackballed or expelled from the site, along with a variety of insulting epithets flung at your back for good measure (though, to be fair, most of them are misspelled or so poorly written they become garbled beyond recognition). In person, Kentucky fans are arrogant (for little personal reason) and insist-- my personal pet peeve-- on calling the team "we" (like they ever played the game of basketball or could spell it without serious help from the dictionary).

So yeah, poor fans.

2) That said...
    Kentucky has been good for so long that they're better than all other teams almost all the time. Al Macguire said, "They had it before you, they have it now, and they'll have it after you." They've won more games at a higher rate and with more NCAA wins than anyone. Twist that any way you like, they're the best program in the history of the game.

That tends to make fans of other teams nuts. Consistently great teams beating your favorite team year after year after year makes people slightly angry. Not only that, Kentucky is a fairly arrogant program. Other programs put up banners for Final Fours or Sweet Sixteens. Other programs retire numbers. UK only puts up banners for championships and the very best of the best.

To butcher a phrase from George Strait, they've been so good for so long and other teams just want them to go away.

Which leads to...
    3) Kentucky cheats. They've been caught (and suspected) virtually from the beginning of the game. In the 1950's, Kentucky kids (All-Americans Beard and Groza) got caught shaving points in New York. From that point forward, it seemed as if every whiff of possible problems with the NCAA was assumed guilty. Bill Spivey never cheated, but was accused endlessly without proof; his career was ruined because of it. The Cats also were suspected in the 70's (largely because their hometown newspaper won Pulitzer after Pulitzer looking for mud), but it was never proven. In the 80's, Emery Freight assured the world of Kentucky's guilt throughout the ages. And now, because of Calipari, they're guilty again.

Speaking of coaches, their greatest coach is gleefully called a racist by those that should know better. (The most anyone can argue against Rupp is that he wasn't willing to be a leader in integration in the South when he should have been. But he did play black kids as a coach in high school in Kansas in the 1920s and his first real recruit --i.e., going out of his way to ask a player to play for him-- was attempting to get Wes Unseld to Lexington.) He was unlucky enough to have lost to the first all-black starting lineup with an all-white starting lineup. (The year before, North Carolina was lilly white, but no one has ever accused the Tar Heels of racism.) This apparent racism was again "proven" when Tubby Smith was "fired" despite being "successful" (both claims that are ridiculous both on the surface and when studied).

Just imagine...
    You're a fan of Utah which, historically, has had a very good program. You've been a Ute for years. Your best team since the early 40's has a real chance of winning a national championship. But you come across the Cats. Again. They've beaten you four years in a row. You decide to go to the game and see thousands of Kentucky fans proudly decked out in silly outfits, most of them ignorant and unnecessarily confrontational. You see your team lost a heartbreaker and hear a fan say something about Tubby winning with Pitino's players and how he wished "we still had Piniter".

All of that would be hard to take, but, later that decade, you watch the movie Glory Road and figure out that Rupp guy was a real craphead that deserved to lose to those nice boys from Texas Western. Not only that, Tubby was fired and Dick Vitale all but guaranteed the state of Kentucky was all but setting cross fires on his lawn because he hadn't been to a Final Four in ten years. (Which once again reminds you of how close you were to winning it all before Kentucky came along.) You also hear, through the local Lexington newpaper on the net, that the Cats are paying their best player so much he can afford to drive a brand new $50,000 vehicle to games and practice and the new $40 million practice facility on the UK campus.

All in all, a recipe for hatred if ever there was one.
    Kentucky fans and their pathetic grammar and/or proofreading abilities. For shame. Maybe you're not better than all those people you just painted with your large, laughably incorrect brush after all. This is one of the most condescending, holier than thou art posts I've ever read, here or anywhere else on the entire internet.
    Last edited by WMR; 01-20-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Turn Off Ads?