Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Teams you thoroughly despise

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: Teams you thoroughly despise

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Too, I've never seen fans of a team with such poor grammar and rhetoric skills. If you make a valid point on a Kentucky site wherein someone on the team or coaching staff is criticized (even slightly), you're immediately blackballed or expelled from the site, along with a variety of insulting epithets flung at your back for good measure (though, to be fair, most of them are misspelled or so poorly written they become garbled beyond recognition). In person, Kentucky fans are arrogant (for little personal reason) and insist-- my personal pet peeve-- on calling the team "we" (like they ever played the game of basketball or could spell it without serious help from the dictionary).
    Wouldn't be True Blue Kentucky would it? . Marc Maggard has a pretty quick trigger finger.

FWIW, I'm not sure what your experience has been on these sites, but college sports sites are not like Redszone. I would venture to say that is the same regardless of which team you pull for. There are recruits and players who do read the websites and message boards and it can have a very negative impact on the program as a whole. That is why those rules are in place. You can criticize, but do so constructively.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Kentucky fans and their pathetic grammar and/or proofreading abilities. For shame. Maybe you're not better than all those people you just painted with your large, laughably incorrect brush after all. This is one of the most condescending, holier than thou art posts I've ever read, here or anywhere else on the entire internet.
    I have to defend Scrap on this one. I bleed Kentucky blue but I can honestly see why fans of other teams hate the Wildcats. That post pretty much sums it up.

I would say I agree with 75% of it. Calling the team "we" is something that most everybody does though. Comb through enough posts here on Redszone and you might find several posters referring to the Reds as "we". I'm curious where "paying their best player" came from. Patterson?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

According to Tipton, yeah.

(Of course, Tipton was told by Patterson's father that it was actually his truck, but the LHL reporter, following in a rich tradition of crapping on the local school, ignored it.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I have to defend Scrap on this one. I bleed Kentucky blue but I can honestly see why fans of other teams hate the Wildcats. That post pretty much sums it up.

I would say I agree with 75% of it. Calling the team "we" is something that most everybody does though. Comb through enough posts here on Redszone and you might find several posters referring to the Reds as "we". I'm curious where "paying their best player" came from. Patterson?
    His post basically paints the entire fan base as a collection of uneducated, rude idiots. Living in Kentucky, I wonder if his friends, co-workers, and neighbors who also happen to be UK fans are aware of how scornfully he views them?

I'm sorry, that post was xenophobic nonsense.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

My father-in-law is a lifelong UK fan and doesn't fit any of the stereotypes. When I went to the Marshall-UK game a few years ago, the Wildcat fans were extremely friendly and more knowledgeable than any I've encountered. I'm not a UK fan by any stretch, but I certainly respect their fans and traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    My father-in-law is a lifelong UK fan and doesn't fit any of the stereotypes. When I went to the Marshall-UK game a few years ago, the Wildcat fans were extremely friendly and more knowledgeable than any I've encountered. I'm not a UK fan by any stretch, but I certainly respect their fans and traditions.
    Thanks for taking the time to post that. Classy post.

Most rival fans I know who have experienced Rupp Arena have raved about their experience.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Yay!

You have two types of UK fans. Let's call them:

1. "Kentucky Basketball Fan"

and

2. "Big Blue Fan"

Kentucky Basketball Fan is what fandom is supposed to be about. Following your team with shear joy when they win and understanding that they won't win all the time. Kentucky Basketball Fan watches games other than those participated in by UK and enjoys the sport as a whole. They respect their rivals and know that each dog has it's day in the sun. They understand that the UK program is not perfect.

Big Blue Fan calls the pregame show to ask how many minutes Richie Farmer/Patrick Sparks/JP Blevins/Cameron Mills/Landon Slone/Jon Hood are going to get tonight. And then goes crazy if they don't win by 40 and all the white, Kentucky-born kids don't score double figures. And yet, to them, the program is perfect. They don't watch other games. They didn't watch the NCAA tourney last year because UK wasn't in it.

Sadly, the voices of Big Blue Fans tend to be louder, particularly on the internets.

There are a few college programs that this sort of split tends to happen to. UK basketball, UT football and OSU football come to mind immediately.

All those programs have some great fans. But they sometimes get overshadowed by "Big Blue Fan," "Big Orange Fan," or "Buck Nut."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Kentucky fans and their pathetic grammar and/or proofreading abilities. For shame. Maybe you're not better than all those people you just painted with your large, laughably incorrect brush after all. This is one of the most condescending, holier than thou art posts I've ever read, here or anywhere else on the entire internet.
    Thank you for making my point for me, WMR.

Then again, perhaps I'm just a "hater" like, well, anyone that disagrees with you about Kentucky?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I would say I agree with 75% of it. Calling the team "we" is something that most everybody does though. Comb through enough posts here on Redszone and you might find several posters referring to the Reds as "we".
    I have no problem with fans referring to their team using the "we" pronoun. If it weren't for the fans, there would be no team, or at least no team worth putting on TV night in and night out. There are fans out there who put a small fortune into following their teams, what with the costs of season tickets and PSLs, travel to postseason games, buying merchandise, concessions, dragging family and friends along. That has to count for something, right? Without fans, these teams would be comprised of amateurs dueling it out in some city park or dank gymnasium.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Too, I've never seen fans of a team with such poor grammar and rhetoric skills. If you make a valid point on a Kentucky site wherein someone on the team or coaching staff is criticized (even slightly), you're immediately blackballed or expelled from the site, along with a variety of insulting epithets flung at your back for good measure (though, to be fair, most of them are misspelled or so poorly written they become garbled beyond recognition). In person, Kentucky fans are arrogant (for little personal reason) and insist-- my personal pet peeve-- on calling the team "we" (like they ever played the game of basketball or could spell it without serious help from the dictionary).
    I lived between Louisville and Lexington for about two years and most of the friends I made were UK fans. I really can't think of any of them that would fit this discription. I know you're talking more about a "site", but from spending a lot of time in Lexington with UK fans, I just didn't see it. But I don't spend much time on UK message boards so maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I honestly don't despise any sports teams. I left such issues with my younger years.
    This is where I am as well. I just don't get it. The closest I come is the Cubs, but that has more to do with their fans than anything. And that only comes from my wife being harassed in the Machine Room at GABP on two separate occasions at two different games when the Cubs were in town. The second one almost came to blows.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

when i was younger i strongly disliked some teams, but life is too short.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

College football = Florida Gators
    NFL = Dallas Cowboys
    MLB = Chicago Cubs (fans)...........Marty was right
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"
    2009 Attendance Record 1-2
    2010 Attendance Record 3-1
    2011 Attendance Record 2-0
    2012 Attendance Record 6-2

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I have no problem with fans referring to their team using the "we" pronoun. If it weren't for the fans, there would be no team, or at least no team worth putting on TV night in and night out. There are fans out there who put a small fortune into following their teams, what with the costs of season tickets and PSLs, travel to postseason games, buying merchandise, concessions, dragging family and friends along. That has to count for something, right? Without fans, these teams would be comprised of amateurs dueling it out in some city park or dank gymnasium.
    Not to mention alums of a school have certainly earned the right to say "we."

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

After the Bengals playoff loss, we were in the Newport garage heading to our car. Two guys in Kentucky gear came up to us by the elevators and were yelling (not talking, YELLING) at us that the Bengals are losers and that we should root for a real team like Kentucky.

Not saying all Kentucky fans are like this, but I've never had this happen with fans of any other team, pro or college.

Turn Off Ads?