Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jermaine Dye

Jermaine Dye

I thought about bumping an old thread because I know he's been discussed before, but I figured I'd just make a new one. We all know about the trade that wasn't last year, but now he's a free agent looking for a home.

I was listening to sports radio here in Chicago today, and they reported that Dye was in talks with the Cubs as a 4th OF and backup first baseman. Considering that, you know he doesn't have a high price tag.

Last year he was great in the first half, but horrible in the second half.
    PreASB: .302/.375/.567/.942
    PostASB: .179/.293/.297/.590

Why shouldn't the Reds be interesting in him? Yeah, he's lost all range in the OF, but he'd be playing LF for the Reds so I'm not overly concerned about it. Bring him in, and have Dickerson take some starts against RHP to keep Dye fresh late in the season. Also, it would provide an actual backup plan if something happens to Votto again so we're not stuck with Ramon Hernandez and Ryan Hanigan in the lineup together everyday.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jermaine Dye

I think our best chance of contending for 2010 and the next few years is by giving our young players lots of playing time. I would rather give Heisey, Frazier or Fransico the LF job then bring in a guy like dye who is on the downside of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I think our best chance of contending for 2010 and the next few years is by giving our young players lots of playing time. I would rather give Heisey, Frazier or Fransico the LF job then bring in a guy like dye who is on the downside of his career.
    This.

Plus, if they're wanting to sign someone on the 'fairly' cheap side, I'd MUCH rather have Gomes instead of Dye.

Does anyone else feel like the Reds should address/upgrade either LF or SS before spring training?

I would be ok with the young'uns you mention for left IF we didn't have Janish batting every day.

I applaud the FO's patience in this market. Prices are diving as spring approaches. Can they pick up a vet like Dye or OCab or Tejeda on a one-year, career-saving deal?

I have to think one year in a hitter's park would help them get that one last multi-year deal they seek. The Honorary Rich Aurilia Career Defibrillator Contract.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I thought about bumping an old thread because I know he's been discussed before, but I figured I'd just make a new one. We all know about the trade that wasn't last year, but now he's a free agent looking for a home.

I was listening to sports radio here in Chicago today, and they reported that Dye was in talks with the Cubs as a 4th OF and backup first baseman. Considering that, you know he doesn't have a high price tag.

Last year he was great in the first half, but horrible in the second half.
    PreASB: .302/.375/.567/.942
    PostASB: .179/.293/.297/.590

Why shouldn't the Reds be interesting in him? Yeah, he's lost all range in the OF, but he'd be playing LF for the Reds so I'm not overly concerned about it. Bring him in, and have Dickerson take some starts against RHP to keep Dye fresh late in the season. Also, it would provide an actual backup plan if something happens to Votto again so we're not stuck with Ramon Hernandez and Ryan Hanigan in the lineup together everyday.
    Why shouldn't we be interested in him? You said it all yourself. He sucked big time in the second half. He has negative defensive value.

Pretty sure we've had this conversation about 3 times in the last 60 days. Anybody find a link to the other thread(s)?

The short version: Dye's defense is poor and significantly limits his ability to contribute to an NL team. His expected production is no better than our current internal options, he has less upside potential, and he'll cost more than they will. Pass.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    This is where I fall, although I'd like to see Gomes back as well. But not Dye. And I guess I'm one who believes it's possible that Janish can prove to be a sufficient bat overall at SS. I just don't buy that there's no way Janish is incapable of improvement.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Janish is almost sure to be an offensive black hole. The Reds really need another SS with some pop in his bat, IMO.

As for an OF, I'm okay with what Jocketty has in his cupboard right now. I think any of Dickerson, Heisey, Balentien, and/or Nix (or perhaps Francisco or Frazier) can play a pretty solid platoon LF with plus D and enough pop to be better than last season.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Say the Cubs or someone signs him.. They will be herald as Herod but if the Reds sign him it's a poor move.. Much like the Chapman signing. I think Dye for one year wouldn't hurt.. You really going to be that hamstrung by a LFers defense when he will make up with his offense. It's not like we are getting Taveras production from Dye.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Say the Cubs or someone signs him.. They will be herald as Herod but if the Reds sign him it's a poor move.. Much like the Chapman signing. I think Dye for one year wouldn't hurt.. You really going to be that hamstrung by a LFers defense when he will make up with his offense. It's not like we are getting Taveras production from Dye.
    Except that Dye's total production will be very Taveras esque. Last year Dye was -0.3 WAR. Last year Willy Taveras was -0.3 WAR.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except that Dye's total production will be very Taveras esque. Last year Dye was -0.3 WAR. Last year Willy Taveras was -0.3 WAR.
    Wow.. Yikes!

I do love when you guys correct me and make me completly change my outlook on things

Gah. The team should want no part of Jermaine Dye. Make these threads go away!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Code:
    Jermaine Dye
    2007 CWS .317 .486 .803	  vs. Left .378 .546 .924 vs. Right .295 .466 .761 
    2008 CWS .344 .541 .885   vs. Left .354 .563 .917 vs. Right .340 .532 .872
    2009 CWS .340 .453 .793	  vs. Left .387 .508 .895 vs. Right .323 .434 .757

2010 Bill James .333 .480 .813 	2010 CHONE .332 .461 .793 

BABIP 2006 - .334  2007 - .271  2008 - .305  2009 - .269  
    2010 James .283 2010 Chone .279
    I really don’t want the Reds to pick up Dye, but I don’t want Dye going to the Cubs either, he might be able to help them.

Cubs stats
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/...ype=2&type=reg

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I love how Jermaine Dye is now defined by the second-half of his 2009 season. Of course his career is in decline -- he's old. But let's not pretend like the guy is some bum. I would definitely take him for a year at a cheap price.

Still has a lot of pop and could be a very effective hitter at GABP. If the Reds could get him for cheap, I'd love to see it. But it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I love how Jermaine Dye is now defined by the second-half of his 2009 season. Of course his career is in decline -- he's old. But let's not pretend like the guy is some bum. I would definitely take him for a year at a cheap price.

Still has a lot of pop and could be a very effective hitter at GABP. If the Reds could get him for cheap, I'd love to see it. But it's not going to happen.
    Thank you. Comparing him to WilyT is just not smart.

Turn Off Ads?