Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds to scout Ben Sheets.....

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Reds to scout Ben Sheets.....

...at his throwing session tomorrow.

Also mentioned on Fay's blog. And mlbtraderumors listed the Reds as interested too.

If healthy, how much is Sheets worth?

If the Reds signed him, which I think there is no chance in heck they will, I would go nuts. Seriously.

And I would also believe that Harang or Arroyo are soon out the door.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds to scout Ben Sheets.....

Hmmmmmm very interesting. No one thought that the Reds could be in on Chapman either. I would love this signing.

I think it's all going to come down to what other teams are willing to offer. If someone is willing to give him a big garanteed contract, then the Reds have no shot. If all he can get is a small contract with incentives, then they might be in the running because he'd know he has a chance to jump right in the rotation.
    Sto Pro Veritate

darrowkid

The last time I talked to him he was as big as a house. I hope he lost some weight. He said Dr. Andrews said everything went well during surgery.

He was soooo dominant for a few years, it would be intriguing. But if the Brewers aren't interested down the stretch, I may rather pass.

If it's a low amount, I think it's a good signing, but I think he's way to big of a risk to give him a big contract unless its incentive laden. My other concern with this offseason so far is you would think based on where all the money is being sent, pitching was our issue last year, where is the offense?

Of course the Reds would go after him now...

I was screaming in the 2001-02 offseason for a Sean Doughboy Casey-Ben Sheets trade straight up...Brewers sucked back then, and may have foamed at the mouth with Casey's susposed "pop" in his bat. If you'll remember the Reds were competitive in 2002 before they finished 6 games under .500. Sheets may have at least helped them to a winning season.

Signed by the A's. 1-yr. deal.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

That stinks. If they afforded him, we probably could have.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    That stinks. If they afforded him, we probably could have.
    Not exactly. As was stated in the ORG, that $10M(+) was spent on Chapman instead. No way either of these organizations could afford both.

A's lost out on Chapman and signed Sheets.

We should be glad that it wasn't the other way around.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Not exactly. As was stated in the ORG, that $10M(+) was spent on Chapman instead. No way either of these organizations could afford both.

A's lost out on Chapman and signed Sheets.

We should be glad that it wasn't the other way around.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I for one thank God we didn't get him, we've been there done that on the washed up has beens and never will bes and look what it did for us last decade? Now remember the last few times we've decided to go young and with our farm system players we won a World Series, and nearly missed the postseason with 96 wins. I say leave out the has beens.

I'm glad we didnt end up with Sheets. I personally think we are 1 offensive player away from being pretty darn good.

Great? Does anyone even still believe that Billy Beane is a good GM anymore?

No way the Reds would have landed Sheets even without Chapman. The Chapman mones is spread out over llike 10 years. No way is Sheets waiting that long to get his.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?