Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What will the King's ransom be?

What will the King's ransom be?

These might be some interesting numbers to see.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4837939

The Seattle Mariners have been shuffling the deck, but it looks like they'll keep their ace.

On the eve of exchanging salary figures for arbitration, right-hander Felix Hernandez has agreed to a multiyear contract with the team, pending a physical, a source with direct knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com's Keith Law on Monday.

The amount or length of the deal were not immediately available.

Hernandez made a case for a big payday with a 19-5 record and a 2.46 ERA in 2009. He had earned $3.8 million in his first year of arbitration eligibility.

The Mariners signed free-agent infielder Chone Figgins, traded for Milton Bradley and re-signed outfielders Franklin Gutierrez and Ken Griffey Jr. in a slew of offseason moves.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What will the King's ransom be?

4 years, 45 million?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Five years, $78 million per Jon Heyman.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 01-19-2010 at 10:58 AM.

I just saw 5 years, $75 million on si.com, close to OBM's numbers.

I wonder how this affects Lincecum's next deal or possible arbitration case.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post

A Venezuelan reporter has been reporting 5 yr/$78MM since this morning. Sounds like that is the confirmed number.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post

Not sure, but it's tough to even imagine a better case for a 1st year arbitration level SP than the one Lincecum already had.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

How does this make the Chapman signing look? Is he worth 3/8 of a King?

Given the Reds' situation, I'd say yes.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    How does this make the Chapman signing look? Is he worth 3/8 of a King?

Given the Reds' situation, I'd say yes.
    I would say not. A double A pitcher is not worth 3/8 of a King. Chapman is not even a major league pitcher yet

Fay's take on this signing and how it affects the Reds

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...e-of-pitching/
    The deal that Seattle and right-hander Felix Hernandez have reportedly agreed to has to scare the life out of the Reds’ brain trust. It’s reportedly for five years and $80 million. Jon Heyman of Si.com reports the final year is for $20 million.

Hernandez, 23, had a great year last year — 19-5, 2.49 ERA, 217 strikeouts in 238 2/3 innings. None of the Reds’ young pitchers has put together a year like that. But two years ago went Hernandez went 9-11 with a 3.45 ERA.

Edinson Volquez was 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA that year. Johnny Cueto was 11-11 with a 4.41 ERA last year.

The point is if Cueto, Volquez or Homer Bailey develop into a front-line starter like Hernandez, they’ll be hard for the Reds to afford in the long run.

It’s a baseball version of Catch 22 for small market teams: You want your players to develop into stars, even though if they do, you might not be able to afford them.
    I'm not sure I agree with him. I think that at best two out of the Reds big 4, Chapman, Cueto, Volquez and Bailey, become true aces worth something near Felix's contract. The Reds won't have to pay them for a few years anyway, and when they do, they surely can afford them. If they can afford paying Arroyo, Harang and CoCo what they are currently paying them, they can afford to pay these guys if they are true aces.

And if they can't, the surely can trade one or two of them and get a kings ransom for them, ala Bedard, CC, Lee or Halliday.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

What a silly thing for Fay to blog about. I'm sure the Reds would love for all of them to turn out as good as Felix. Let the Reds worry about how to pay them. Let's just worry about them pitching well and staying healthy.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    What a silly thing for Fay to blog about. I'm sure the Reds would love for all of them to turn out as good as Felix. Let the Reds worry about how to pay them. Let's just worry about them pitching well and staying healthy.
    I agree it'd be a nice problem to have but it's a problem nonetheless for small market teams and it illustrates still again why it's not a level playing field

Turn Off Ads?