Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bowman's Top #100 Prospects

Bowman's Top #100 Prospects

I was looking through the checklist for the 2010 Bowman baseball cards, and they are making a top 100 prospects subset, which appears to be in order. Here are the Reds prospects and their number.

#2: Aroldis Chapman
    #11: Todd Frazier
    #60: Juan Fransisco
    #71: Mike Leake

This looks like a pretty terrible list to me - All of the Reds prospects on the list seem overrated, Yonder Alonso is not on it, and there seem to be a lot of players on it who I doubt most consider top 100 prospects - but it is from Topps/Bowman, so I thought it was worth a mention.

Also, does anyone know if MILB will release a top 50 prospects list this year? Usually it is done much earlier

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Bowman's Top #100 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    I was looking through the checklist for the 2010 Bowman baseball cards, and they are making a top 100 prospects subset, which appears to be in order. Here are the Reds prospects and their number.

#2: Aroldis Chapman
    #11: Todd Frazier
    #60: Juan Fransisco
    #71: Mike Leake

This looks like a pretty terrible list to me - All of the Reds prospects on the list seem overrated, Yonder Alonso is not on it, and there seem to be a lot of players on it who I doubt most consider top 100 prospects - but it is from Topps/Bowman, so I thought it was worth a mention.

Also, does anyone know if MILB will release a top 50 prospects list this year? Usually it is done much earlier
    I wouldn't put much stock into the rankings. Todd Frazier, Juan Francisco and Aroldis Chapman already have cards produced by Topps/Bowman in previous years so there won't be any rush to acquire these cards I don't think. Perhaps Chapman since his card was a WBC card with him pitching for Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    Just saw this on the MLB Network schedule:

Wednesday, January 27th, 8:00 PM:

MLB Network Special Top 50 Prospects - Analysis of the 2010 Top 50 Minor Leaguers.

http://mlbnetwork.mlb.com/network/sc.../?ymd=20100127

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Just saw this on the MLB Network schedule:

Wednesday, January 27th, 8:00 PM:

MLB Network Special Top 50 Prospects - Analysis of the 2010 Top 50 Minor Leaguers.

http://mlbnetwork.mlb.com/network/sc.../?ymd=20100127
    Saw that this morning myself. Already set the DVR. I predict Chapman, Alonso, Frazier, and Leake for sure. Maybe a shout out to Heisey and Francisco.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    Saw that this morning myself. Already set the DVR. I predict Chapman, Alonso, Frazier, and Leake for sure. Maybe a shout out to Heisey and Francisco.
    My guess.... Chapman for sure. Maybe Alonso, maybe Frazier. No one else.

Juan Francisco's slugging percentages this season at four levels, AA, AAA, MLB, Winter Ball.

.501, .598, .619, .566.

Minor league OPS was .847. Majors 1.139 in short stint. Winter Ball .918.

Many of these rankings are missing the boat on this guy.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-24-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Juan Francisco's slugging percentages this season at four levels, AA, AAA, MLB, Winter Ball.

.501, .598, .619, .566.

Minor league OPS was .847. Majors 1.139 in short stint. Winter Ball .918.

Many of these rankings are missing the boat on this guy.
    And his K/BB was what?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And his K/BB was what?

Over the last 732 official at bats, about 4 to 1. That's his at bat total this season including Winter League.

Here are some other stats in that period.

OBP of .329 (minors), .520 (majors briefly), .352 (Winter Ball).

BA of .295 (minors), .429 (majors briefly), .302 (Winter Ball).

43 doubles, 5 triples, 39 homers, 142 RBIs.

As I said in my earlier post, the rankings are missing the boat on this guy. They are not considering his plate coverage ability, which enables him to hit pitches others miss or take. He needs to get comfortable in LF and then he will take off at the major league level.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-25-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Over the last 732 official at bats, about 4 to 1. That's his at bat total this season including Winter League.

Here are some other stats in that period.

OBP of .329 (minors), .520 (majors briefly), .352 (Winter Ball).

BA of .295 (minors), .429 (majors briefly), .302 (Winter Ball).

43 doubles, 5 triples, 39 homers, 142 RBIs.

As I said in my earlier post, the rankings are missing the boat on this guy. They are not considering his plate coverage ability, which enables him to hit pitches others miss or take. He needs to get comfortable in LF and then he will take off at the major league level.
    He doesn't have plate coverage ability or he wouldn't strike out so much. He can run into some baseballs outside of the zone, but that isn't plate coverage. He expands the zone often and often misses.

Sweet describes Francisco as a bad ball hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Sweet describes Francisco as a bad ball hitter.
    Sure, but he is also a bad ball misser. And that is part of the problem. Yes, he can hit the bad ball that a lot of guys can't. That also leads to him missing it a lot more too because he swings at it way too much.

Turn Off Ads?