Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fox Sports Ohio to air Reds Classic Rewinds - Check your local listings

Fox Sports Ohio to air Reds Classic Rewinds - Check your local listings

Reds Classic Rewinds
    Posted by jpichler January 20th, 2010, 2:13 pm

From Fox Sports Ohio

FOX Sports Ohio is going totelevise six (6) classic Reds games from the franchise’s storied history. Games are below.

Mon., Jan. 25th -10:30pm
    On September 11, 1985, a sellout crowd at Riverfront Stadium and a national television audience were watching to see if Pete Rose could break Ty Cobb’s hit record. After going 0-for-4 the previous night, Rose didn’t disappoint. He hit a line drive single to left field off San Diego’s Eric Show on a 2-1 pitch for hit No. 4,192.

Mon., Feb. 1st – 8pm
    On October 22, 1975, the Reds faced the Boston Red Sox in Game 7 of what has been ranked one of the best World Series ever. The “Big Red Machine” won it in the ninth to clinch the first of back-to-back World Series championships.

Mon., Feb. 8th – 8pm
    After 11 big league years, Tom Seaver was finally able to cross off one of the few achievements that had eluded him in his magnificent career with his only no-hitter on June 16, 1978.

Mon., Feb.15th – 8pm
    A two-hour, 27-minute rain delay didn’t halt Tom Browning, who retired all 27 Los Angeles Dodgers he faced in a 1-0 victory on September 16, 1988. Browning concluded the only perfect game in Reds history by retiring Rick Dempsey on a fly to deep right field, Steve Sax on a grounder to shortstop and Tracy Woodson on a strikeout. A throwing error accounted for the Reds’ only run.

Mon., Feb. 22nd – 8pm
    We’re bringing back the re-mastered version of the classic Reds game from October 12, 1976, when the Reds swept the Phillies in NLCS Game 3. This special telecast includes original video from NBC synced with the audio of Reds veteran duo Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall.

Mon., Mar.1st – 8pm
    On October 14, 1970, the Reds faced Baltimore in Game 4 of the World Series. The Reds lost the series but won this game 6-5 thanks to clutch hitting by Lee May and stellar relief pitching by rookie Don Gullett and veteran Clay Carroll. Featuring a very young and upcoming Big Red Machine, this game is one of the oldest known Reds games to exist in its entirety.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fox Sports Ohio to air Reds Classic Rewinds

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I love the concept of showing old games but I'm not excited for this years batch for the simple fact that it's basically the same old games that we see every run during the weeks leading up so Spring Training.

I'd like to see them give more of a mix in the games that they show like they did last year.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I'd like to see them give more of a mix in the games that they show like they did last year.
    Agreed. Here's a few games I'd be interested in seeing:

-The Reds 24-12 win in Coors Field in May of 1999.

-Griffey's first home run with the Reds

-Dunn's first major league HR

-Game two of the 1990 World Series

-One of Mario Soto's gems (how about the near no-hitter in 1984?)

-1995 Reds/Dodgers Game 3 NLDS

-1996... the game when Larkin hits his 30th HR to become first 30/30 shortstop in major league history.

-June 2nd, 1989, Eric Davis hits for cycle vs Padres

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

-Griffey's first home run with the Reds

-Dunn's first major league HR

-Game two of the 1990 World Series

-One of Mario Soto's gems (how about the near no-hitter in 1984?)

-1995 Reds/Dodgers Game 3 NLDS

-1996... the game when Larkin hits his 30th HR to become first 30/30 shortstop in major league history.

-June 2nd, 1989, Eric Davis hits for cycle vs Padres
    I think one of the problems you encounter the more you go back in time is availability of broadcast footage. It isn't a big problem in the last decade or so, but the longer ago it was the harder it is to find a broadcast quality video (unless it was a big occasion/national broadcast).

Surely the local TV stations that aired games in the 1950s and 60s have to have SOME games on file. Those are the ones I'd love to see.
    Dan Scott, Director of Broadcasting
    Play-By-Play Voice
    Furman University Athletics
    Host of The Dan Scott Show, Facebook Live/Periscope
    Greenville/Clemson, SC

I'm stickying this one because I can.

And, you Reds fan, young and old, enjoy these games. Have fun.

Set your DVR's.
    Last edited by Heath; 01-20-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by writerdan33 View Post
    Surely the local TV stations that aired games in the 1950s and 60s have to have SOME games on file. Those are the ones I'd love to see.
    Allegedly, CH 5 used old kinescope film that could be reused. If someone ever had some old 50-50 Club film, you might be seeing tape that could have at one time Game 2 of the 1961 World Series.
    Last edited by Heath; 01-20-2010 at 06:00 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Re: Fox Sports Ohio to air Reds Classic Rewinds - Check your local listings

I'd like to see the game where Griffey hit an inside the park homerun vs St. Louis to win the game in 2001.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I love the concept of showing old games but I'm not excited for this years batch for the simple fact that it's basically the same old games that we see every run during the weeks leading up so Spring Training.

They are throwing in that Phillies game and the World Series game from 1970. Those are pretty new.

Quote Originally Posted by writerdan33 View Post
    We talked about this recently on another thread and it seems to be the opinion that they more than likely re-used the tapes of the games for other shows. Nobody back then probably thought that people 40-50 years in the future would like to see those games. Plus you'd have to find a place to store them and tape was expensive too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Reds Classic Rewinds
    Posted by jpichler January 20th, 2010, 2:13 pm

From Fox Sports Ohio

FOX Sports Ohio is going totelevise six (6) classic Reds games from the franchise’s storied history. Games are below.

Mon., Jan. 25th -10:30pm
    On September 11, 1985, a sellout crowd at Riverfront Stadium and a national television audience were watching to see if Pete Rose could break Ty Cobb’s hit record. After going 0-for-4 the previous night, Rose didn’t disappoint. He hit a line drive single to left field off San Diego’s Eric Show on a 2-1 pitch for hit No. 4,192.

Mon., Feb. 1st – 8pm
    On October 22, 1975, the Reds faced the Boston Red Sox in Game 7 of what has been ranked one of the best World Series ever. The “Big Red Machine” won it in the ninth to clinch the first of back-to-back World Series championships.

Mon., Feb. 8th – 8pm
    After 11 big league years, Tom Seaver was finally able to cross off one of the few achievements that had eluded him in his magnificent career with his only no-hitter on June 16, 1978.

Mon., Feb.15th – 8pm
    A two-hour, 27-minute rain delay didn’t halt Tom Browning, who retired all 27 Los Angeles Dodgers he faced in a 1-0 victory on September 16, 1988. Browning concluded the only perfect game in Reds history by retiring Rick Dempsey on a fly to deep right field, Steve Sax on a grounder to shortstop and Tracy Woodson on a strikeout. A throwing error accounted for the Reds’ only run.

Mon., Feb. 22nd – 8pm
    We’re bringing back the re-mastered version of the classic Reds game from October 12, 1976, when the Reds swept the Phillies in NLCS Game 3. This special telecast includes original video from NBC synced with the audio of Reds veteran duo Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall.

Mon., Mar.1st – 8pm
    On October 14, 1970, the Reds faced Baltimore in Game 4 of the World Series. The Reds lost the series but won this game 6-5 thanks to clutch hitting by Lee May and stellar relief pitching by rookie Don Gullett and veteran Clay Carroll. Featuring a very young and upcoming Big Red Machine, this game is one of the oldest known Reds games to exist in its entirety.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/
    I was at The Oct 12, 1976 game with my mother and father. I was a little bit sad we swept because we had tickets for the next 2 games too. One of my last trips to Cincy with my dad, who taught me to love baseball and the Reds.
    Let's play two!!!

A FEW I'D LIKE TO SEE

OPENING DAY 1986 -- Tracy Jones' ML debut

JULY 5, 1986 -- Chris Welsh's only major league home run

APRIL 29, 1978 -- Pete Rose 3HRs the Mets

The Reds were on a lot on MLB Game of the Week on NBC and MNB when it started in 1976.

Heck in 1977 they seemed to be on every week...which made it harder for me because they kept getting beat that year. Even in 1982 they were on several times before they completely started tanking after 50 games.
    I remember the game against the Cardinals where Soto beat them 10-1 but tried to bunt with the big lead and then was knocked down by Kaat....and then Gene Tenace got in his face for trying to bunt.

In 1977 I saw the games where Hrabosky struck out Morgan...Foster and Bench with the bases loaded.... Then the game in Philly where Rose tripled leading off against Jim Kaat ...then is hung up between 3rd and home...they ended up losing that game 12-2. It is scary how I remember these games in my head...at least snippets of them.

Since I am not in Cincy...I am disappointed I cannot see the Seaver game and the Game 4 of 1970 WS.
    I already have the Philly game from 1976 on tape ...along with all 4 games games from the 1976 World Series.

There are definitely some there that we have seen over and over again. I'll be looking forward to the Seaver game from '78 and the '70 World Series game. MLB Network had Game 1 of that series on a few times before Christmas, but it was in black and white.

To be honest, I'm sick of seeing anything from the 1975 World Series. ESPN Classic wore it out a few years ago, and then there's the box set with every game in its entirety.

I'd like to see some game from oddball seasons. How about:

• Opening Day 1982, so that we can hear what they had to say about the future stars of the Reds: Householder, Hurdle, Walker, Trevino

• Tom Seaver's first game with the Reds

• Pete's first game back in 1984 against the Cubs

The big thing that frustrates me about the re-airing of these games (from the old ESPN Classic days, to the MLB Network broadcasts, to the DVD boxed set, to these games on FSN) is that they cut out most or all of the pregame and postgame commentary. To me that is much more compelling than watching a routine 5th inning of a game that was noteworthy for no other reason than one at-bat.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

That was day game on a get-away day IIRC (I listened in the office in Atlanta) The Reds probably don't have a copy, nor the Rockies either is my guess. And if the Rockies do I'm guessing they aren't telling anybody.

Turn Off Ads?