Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 things not to buy in 2010

Re: 10 things not to buy in 2010

That's why the newspaper business is dead unless they can figure out a way to make people pay for content.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    You obviously don't listen to WLW down in Texas, do you?
    There are local shows here in Texas as well. Sports and Politics. I know of a couple that are even based out of San Antonio that I listen to on occasion.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    That's why the newspaper business is dead unless they can figure out a way to make people pay for content.
    Not providing local content for free over the internet would be a start.

Really, we're all lucky that morons were in charge of most major media outlets when the internet was in it's infancy. They didn't charge for things and created a consumer expectation of free content online -- which makes it difficult to now begin charging for things.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

And if the price is reasonable.. I'd pay. For example, I subscribe to Baseball America.

So, if the Enquirer would charge something nominal ($10 a year) for me to read their sports.... I'd go for it.

And if the price is reasonable.. I'd pay. For example, I subscribe to Baseball America.

So, if the Enquirer would charge something nominal ($10 a year) for me to read their sports.... I'd go for it.

The difference with BA is that there is no equivalent news source; no one does baseball like BA. There are tons of sources for local Cincinnati news, and most do it better than the Enquirer.

Actually, me personally, I have no interest in their news. I live in Florida. But I do have major interest in their sports teams.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    The difference with BA is that there is no equivalent news source; no one does baseball like BA. There are tons of sources for local Cincinnati news, and most do it better than the Enquirer.
    The question is, do most people care about the quality of the news anymore or do they just want to hear about something first?

With some online videos, you have no choice but to sit through a commercial before you can view it. I've wondered why they don't just do that for text content pages. On the other hand, I guess it might drive people away in favor of sources that don't do that?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Haunted by walks

Most newspapers did try to charge for content in the early years, but they found that just asking people to register drove readers clicking and surfing away to other places. It's always easier to sell something physical than something digital, and the easier something is to reproduce, the harder it is to sell. RedsZone is well-behaved about not posting paid content, but other sites aren't so much. TV for many years "gave away" it's content, until cable came along and charged for something physical - the cable - and content you couldn't get any other way.

Soon the question will be, how much would you pay for a Cincinnati Enquirer Reds app on an iPhone, tablet or Kindle? Apple is trying to reinvent the Internet so content can be charged for through branded apps.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The question is, do most people care about the quality of the news anymore or do they just want to hear about something first?
    I think this is the HUGE thing that media has become these days. There seem to be less and less interest in bringing the news and more and more interest about sensationalism and being first.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

this thread makes me feel old..

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I use to be a guy that just had to have the latest technology out there. But on Blu-Ray, I could care less. Upscaling DVD's and HDTV looks fine to me. And I'll settle for that instead of going out an buying a Blu-Ray player and rebuying all the movies I have on DVD.

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but I use to be a guy that just had to have the latest technology out there. But on Blu-Ray, I could care less. Upscaling DVD's and HDTV looks fine to me. And I'll settle for that instead of going out an buying a Blu-Ray player and rebuying all the movies I have on DVD.
    Why would you have to rebuy all your DvDs?

I love my 500g external HD.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I don't have to. But that seems what the studios want you to do. I know there are some people who bought a movie on Beta, then VHS, then LaserDisc, then DVD, then HD-DVD, and now Blu-Ray.

Turn Off Ads?