Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Hardball Times Top 10 Prospects for 2010: Cincinnati Reds

The Hardball Times Top 10 Prospects for 2010: Cincinnati Reds

Thursday, January 21, 2010
    Top 10 prospects for 2010: Cincinnati Reds and Pittsburgh Pirates
    Posted by Matt Hagen at 6:20am
    http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/fa...urgh-pirates3/

Cincinnati Reds

1. Yonder Alonso / 1B / Alonso does a lot of the little, overlooked things that you expect in a future star. But his questionable home run power leaves me wondering how bright his star can be. He has a great shot to be an above-average first baseman, however, and still possesses strong upside.

2. Mike Leake / SP / Leake's game is all about mixing his pitches to keep hitters off balance and using his sharp movement and command to his advantage. He doesn't look like much, but he is a future No. 2 starter who should move quickly.

3. Aroldis Chapman / SP / Chapman gets immense hype with his plus fastball and advanced repertoire, but I have come away unimpressed after nearly every video I have seen of him. His command is awful at times and he gives off an immature vibe. And, remember, he is 21, not 17. The upside is undeniable, but he needs to grow up fast before I buy in.

4. Juan Francisco / 3B / Francisco carries a big stick to the ballpark, including legit above-average power potential for a third baseman. His athleticism has evened out at higher levels and his approach at the plate still needs a lot of work, but he continues to improve year after year.

5. Travis Wood / SP / I got caught up in Woods' 2009 numbers, and, as a result, he is turning into the biggest over-rank on my current top-100 list. I have had an entire offseason to re-evaluate the list. Expect him to drop from the top 100 when my next update is released, but his control took a giant leap forward last year and his change-up is a true plus offering.

6. Todd Frazier / OF / Frazier's gap power is impressive, and he uses his above-average speed very well when stretching singles into doubles. I question how far his home run power and base-stealing ability will carry him in the majors. He seems like an ordinary, average outfielder unless his home run power takes off.

7. Chris Heisey / OF / From a current skills and performance perspective, Heisey is a very similar prospect to Frazier. Heisey is nearing his prime, however, and doesn't have much upside left. I think we're looking at a prime of a .270 batting average and 15-20 home runs.

8. Matt Maloney / SP / Maloney continues to perform well level after level and has nothing left to prove in the minors. He has a nice repertoire but below-average velocity to work with. He should settle in nicely as a positive back-of-the-rotation presence.

9. Devin Mesoraco / C / Mesoraco's athleticism has petered out as his body has filled out and he has adjusted to full-time catching. He has some power and plate discipline, but his bat has holes and, even though the journey of a high school catcher adjusting to pro ball is a long one, his bat has taken longer to develop than expected. His injury history is concerning as well. He's still one to watch, but his stock continues to fade.

10. Brad Boxberger / SP/RP / Boxberger's command is a head-scratcher of a question mark, as one expects college players to have more polish. It's hard to tell whether his future lies in the rotation or out of the bullpen, but Boxberger has a strong three-pitch mix that will aid him as he feels out his role.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Hardball Times Top 10 Prospects for 2010: Cincinnati Reds

He must be watching different videos of Chapman because in the ones I have watched, Chapman was very, very impressive.

really weird list... ummm... Wood over Frazier? Serious?
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

When I saw Mesoraco in ST last year he looked pretty athletic for a catcher. I also didn't think Frazier had above-average speed. With that said, I still think he is a Top 3 prospect at least.

When I saw Mesoraco in ST last year he looked pretty athletic for a catcher.
    I've yet to see a picture of Mesoraco where he looked noticeably out of shape. I don't know why this label continues to follow him around.

This is the best list I've seen. Wood at 5 is too high and I don't like Mesoraco in the top 10, but the takes on Frazier and Heisey are spot on. They are OK, but probably not guys you want in LF on a winning team unless you are getting a lot of offense from a defense first spot. The Reds aren't getting that any time soon. Cozart not making the list could be telling as well, but I think he can be OK, he just won't be an offensive fix at SS (maybe against LHP he will).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think it's one of the worst lists I've seen this year. No Yorman, Frazier and Chapman are too low. Bad list, IMO.

Sometimes an objective take on revered prospects is good.

BA's "demotion" of Alonso to second place may have brought some reality to our evaluation of the guy.

I like this list as candid about guys like Frazier and Heisey. I'm not saying he's correct - nobody will know until these guys actually play major league ball - but the skepticism is healthy.

His analysis IMO explains all the movement of Frazier around the field. As an infielder he has a plus bat. As a left fielder, maybe not. So the Reds are groping for the answer.

Not saying this or any list is right or wrong. But this list is a fresh analysis that has some good points to make.

Swap Francisco and Frazier and drop Mesoraco for Yorman Rodriguez and you have your list.

1. Yonder Alonso / 1B / Alonso does a lot of the little, overlooked things that you expect in a future star. But his questionable home run power leaves me wondering how bright his star can be. He has a great shot to be an above-average first baseman, however, and still possesses strong upside.
    6. Todd Frazier / OF / Frazier's gap power is impressive, and he uses his above-average speed very well when stretching singles into doubles. I question how far his home run power and base-stealing ability will carry him in the majors. He seems like an ordinary, average outfielder unless his home run power takes off.
    With these two descriptions whats the difference? Alonso does the little things, Frazier has good gap power and is more athletic. To me the scouting report seems pretty similar with Alonso getting the nod because of his draft slot, not his performance.

The list is ok, I would move Frazier up to the 1-2 slot, swap Chapman and Leake, and switch Cozart with Mesoraco.

To be honest I think its a little too early to get a true gauge on Yorman. If he has a good/great season this year I think you can put him in your top 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Sometimes an objective take on revered prospects is good.

BA's "demotion" of Alonso to second place may have brought some reality to our evaluation of the guy.

I like this list as candid about guys like Frazier and Heisey. I'm not saying he's correct - nobody will know until these guys actually play major league ball - but the skepticism is healthy.

His analysis IMO explains all the movement of Frazier around the field. As an infielder he has a plus bat. As a left fielder, maybe not. So the Reds are groping for the answer.

Not saying this or any list is right or wrong. But this list is a fresh analysis that has some good points to make.
    I agree with you here, but I think Frazier will be primarily an IF, with maybe spot duty in the OF, since we have so many "leftfielders." However, Frazier is slated to start in LF for the Bats this Spring, so it will be interesting to see what they do with him when he's ready for Cincy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I've yet to see a picture of Mesoraco where he looked noticeably out of shape. I don't know why this label continues to follow him around.
    One anonymous scout saying something and its gold, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Turn Off Ads?