Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shortstop

Shortstop

Does anyone see Walt making a late signing for SS or are they satisfied with Janish being the every day SS? I know that he can do the job defensively, but I am concerned about him hitting enough.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shortstop

We all are.

All signs point to Janish being the man for the job, for now. I think Chapman was our big off-season signing. I also don't see a lot of SS available that would fit into our "young team" stigma. Keep Janish for now, see where you're at during the season, and make moves accordingly.

-Matt

I could see the Reds picking up Orlando Cabrera as a stopgap if his asking price falls into the $2-3 MM range. He's not a good OBP guy, but he'll hit .280 with a bit of pop. He still plays average defense and could be a solid pick up on a one year deal.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Is Tejada off the market yet?

I personally think that Tejada is a bit too much of a defensive liability at SS at this stage in his career. I seem to remember a game last year where Stubbs hit two routine grounders right at Tejada and turned them both into infield singles.

welcome back?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I know it's obvious... but I could definitely live with Tejada or OCab for the right price. Janish would then be your "late inning defensive replacement" or AAA "place filler" (not sure about his options).

Tejada projects at an approximate 1.8-2.0 WAR player which based on last years numbers is about a $8-9 million salary for this year.

OCab projects at a approximate .5-1 WAR player which based on last years number is about a $3-4 million salary for this year.

Getting either player at less than their projection would be a good deal (obviously), but Tejada's batting ability makes a strong case...

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Does anyone see Walt making a late signing for SS?
    Yes, I do.

What are the possibilities that Janish is reading and hearing all the talk about how he can't hit this offseaason? What are the possibilities that he is working his tail off this winter to become a decent hitter? I would be satisfied with him batting 8th becoming a good bunter and working the count to make the pitcher work harder;seeing a lot of pitches per at bat and playing gold glove caliber defense.

I really think all the talk of needing a big time shortstop may all be much ado about nothing. Janish is an excellent fielder who has trouble at the plate. But Chris Valaika will be at spring training and Rick Sweet is always raving about him. Zack Cozart had a decent year last year at AA and did very well in winter ball. Rosales has not done poorly either. A lot of people knock him, but maybe he has improved. Chris Burke will also be at Spring Training. Why should the Reds spend a lot of money on something they may not need?

I think flash hit the nail on the head. I think the Reds feel they have several prospects at SS, and one will be ready in the next couple of years. I think they're willing to live with a transition year rather than sign a guy to big money for 3 or 4 years and then be saddled with the contract when the prospect is ready.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Todd Frazier's name was added to the Spring Training Mix per Walt.

I think they know they can't live with Janish batting 2nd.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Todd Frazier's name was added to the Spring Training Mix per Walt.

I think they know they can't live with Janish batting 2nd.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Hopefully the guy that makes out the lineup card every day knows that!

I really have a gut feeling that ole uncle Walt still has one trick up his sleeve this off season.I think that the Reds will sign either a OF type(Dye, Gomes) or O. Caberra(sp). Just a gut feeling but I do have the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Hopefully the guy that makes out the lineup card every day knows that!
    Unfortunately that is the problem.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?