Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tejada Left Field?

Tejada Left Field?

I hate it when guys suggest moving players out of position all over the field...as if a man can just play anywhere. That being said, I wonder, since Tejada is pretty much done at shortstop but still possess a very good bat, could he play left field? It might even help him offensively by not playing such a gruelling position as SS. Miguel is getting cheaper and probably more desperate. Is this a possibility or am I all wet?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tejada Left Field?

I know you're just bringing up potential discussion, and that's fine and all, but I don't understand why people think the REDS need a Left Fielder. They didn't need one last year, and they don't need one this year. They have more than what they need. If they were a 85-win team last year and their pitching looked like it was "obviously" going to be better, then I could see wanting to "upgrade" the Left Field position with a "big" signing.

But, to consider going after someone who may or may not do 10% better than what we already have seems like unnecessary spending. I'd rather they use the money to lower ticket prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I know you're just bringing up potential discussion, and that's fine and all, but I don't understand why people think the REDS need a Left Fielder. They didn't need one last year, and they don't need one this year. They have more than what they need. If they were a 85-win team last year and their pitching looked like it was "obviously" going to be better, then I could see wanting to "upgrade" the Left Field position with a "big" signing.

But, to consider going after someone who may or may not do 10% better than what we already have seems like unnecessary spending. I'd rather they use the money to lower ticket prices.
    Yes. I like some of the young guys they have too. I was just responding to people who like Tejada offensively, but think his defense is inadequate at SS. I don't agree with you, though, that this team can't contend this year. If they add a very good bat..I think they could be in it. I guess I just believe that they ought to strive to put their best team on the field every year.
    Last edited by roby; 01-22-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typos

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

We are loaded with OFers and OF prospects ready for the majors. I don't understand why people are looking for a LFer.

We need a SS period.

I would still be willing to move BP to SS and put Tejada at 2B if Tejada's range is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Yes. I like some of the young guys they have too. I was just responding to people who like Tejada offensively, but think his defense is inadequate at SS. I don't agree with you, though, that this team can't contend this year. If they add a very good bat..I think they could be in it. I guess I just believe that they ought to strive to put their best team on the field every year.
    Well, if you think they're just a very good bat away from contending, then certainly it's a good idea to see who that guy might be. There's Free Agency, and there are trades. Do you think our best bet is to try to get that bat through Free Agency? And, if so, are the REDS willing to spend even more money for a "very good" bat? If you don't think they're willing to spend more money, then we'll have to look at a trade.

Our position of strength is First Base, obviously, while trying to get them to take Arroyo or Harang in that trade.

Seems like the only possible trade that could be done would be to trade Alonso (can't trade an existing starter such as Phillips or Votto, as that defeats the purpose of adding a bat) along with Arroyo or Harang (so we can afford the new "very good" bat, which will cost quite a bit of money).

This sounds a lot like the (in my opinion, stupid deal) of giving away Roenicke and Stewart, so the Blue Jays would take Encarnacion and we could acquire Rolen (who isn't a "very good" bat, nor is "very good" defensively).

But, if you think we can contend, then that's the trade I'd make...Alonso and Harang or Arroyo for that bat you seek. I'd prefer to trade them for a Shortstop that plays "above average" defense and bats like an "average" Shortstop, as I think that's two of our biggest holes to fill....improve the defense on that side of the infield (Rolen doesn't have any range any more) and improve the Offense from the Shortstop position.

Which Shortstop I'd trade for, I have no idea, but there'd be plenty of people lining up to take Walt's call if they could get Alonso and a 200-Inning eater for just that.

Wouldn't Tejeda in left basically take away from the concept of pitching and defense wins games the Reds are now advocating?
    Last edited by reds77; 01-23-2010 at 01:35 AM.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    This sounds a lot like the (in my opinion, stupid deal) of giving away Roenicke and Stewart, so the Blue Jays would take Encarnacion and we could acquire Rolen (who isn't a "very good" bat, nor is "very good" defensively).
    Kingspoint, we get it. You dont like Rolen. Surely, after reading your earlier thread about Rolen, you realize that you are in the very singular minority:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79707

Rolen IS a very good bat and IS very good defensively. You still sound very, very petty.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    Kingspoint, we get it. You dont like Rolen. Surely, after reading your earlier thread about Rolen, you realize that you are in the very singular minority:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79707

Rolen IS a very good bat and IS very good defensively. You still sound very, very petty.
    I'm used to being right about things and being in the minority and then time passes on proving I was right and the majority was wrong. This is just another one of those cases.

Give it a rest, Kingspoint. Come on, man.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Uh, no. Bad idea. He's never played there to my knowledge. Now, if he could be signed for cheap to spell Janish at short and Rolen at third while providing some much needed offense, that would be great, but I don't see him having any interest in that. He'll sign somewhere that will allow him to be a starter, and for much more money than the Reds are willing to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky bugle boy View Post
    Uh, no. Bad idea. He's never played there to my knowledge. Now, if he could be signed for cheap to spell Janish at short and Rolen at third while providing some much needed offense, that would be great, but I don't see him having any interest in that. He'll sign somewhere that will allow him to be a starter, and for much more money than the Reds are willing to spend.
    He'll probably sign with Baltimore.

Signing a guy to play another position is not a very good idea. I don't understand why we can't sign a mediocore left fielder and an average SS with the trade tools we have. If pitching wins, then a 200 inning pitcher should be able to get a 250. BA and a 150 game LF in a heartbeat. I would rather see a team that is average in most spots than good in a few and horrid in another. I also think having 8 possible OF is absurd. How in the world do you give 8 different guys a fair shake at being the LF on Opening Day. Dusty Baker can't even draw a lineup card, he might as well get a lottery ball machine and try to find a LF. Giving him an opportunity to play boggle with these guys is a recipe for disaster. It's hard to be consistent in baseball, but it has to start with the manager before these guys have a chance.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Has signed with Baltimore.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I heard he signed with Baltimore.

Turn Off Ads?