Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Price on Chapman

Bryan Price on Chapman

Price likes Chapman
    Posted by jfay January 21st, 2010, 6:16 pm

Reds pitching coach Bryan Price really likes Aroldis Chapman, and it has nothing to do with Chapman’s 100 mph fastball.

“He’s a neat kid,” Price said. “He smiles easily. He’s great to be around.”

Chapman, the 21-year-old Cuban left-hander, spent the week at the Reds’ new complex in Goodyear, Ariz.

He threw a bit – catch everyday and one bullpen session – but that wasn’t the main priority.

“We wanted to get him acclimated to the way we do things,” Price said, “get familiar with the layout of the facility and meet with some of the people he’ll be working with.”

The adjustment is a huge one for the Chapman. He speaks no English. Price speaks Spanish so that wasn’t a barrier for the two.

“It’s really important that he gets assimilated,” Price said. “It’s different. Professional baseball takes an adjustment for anyone, whether it’s a college kid or a high school kid. But it’s a greater adjustment for someone from another country.”

Chapman has been put on the Reds strength and conditioning program. One of the difficult things will be holding him back.

“You’ve got to temper it a little,” Price said. “He’s champing at the bit. Baseball is a year-round sport in Cuba. He’s ready to go. But it’s a seasonal sport here.”

Price has the same message for all the pitchers: Come in shape, but not Opening Day shape as far as throwing.

“We don’t want guys in midseason form on Feb. 18 when the season doesn’t start until April 4 and can go into October if you’re successful,” Price said.

Only a handful of players are training this early. Justin Lehr, Bill Bray and Daryl Thompson were there this week.

Lehr lives nearby. Bray is rehabbing from April 16 elbow surgery; Thompson is rehabbing from Aug. 25 shoulder surgery.

Both Bray and Thompson are on throwing programs, although neither is scheduled to be on the regular schedule when spring training opens.

Chapman will return to Florida today.

Price is glad he got a head start with his prized pupil.

“I think it will be a great benefit,” Price said. “It would have been difficult if he had come on Feb. 18. He wouldn’t have known where anything is. This way he got used to being in this part of the country.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bryan Price on Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Price likes Chapman
    Posted by jfay January 21st, 2010, 6:16 pm

Reds pitching coach Bryan Price really likes Aroldis Chapman, and it has nothing to do with Chapman’s 100 mph fastball.

“He’s a neat kid,” Price said. “He smiles easily. He’s great to be around.”

Chapman, the 21-year-old Cuban left-hander, spent the week at the Reds’ new complex in Goodyear, Ariz.

He threw a bit – catch everyday and one bullpen session – but that wasn’t the main priority.

“We wanted to get him acclimated to the way we do things,” Price said, “get familiar with the layout of the facility and meet with some of the people he’ll be working with.”

The adjustment is a huge one for the Chapman. He speaks no English. Price speaks Spanish so that wasn’t a barrier for the two.

“It’s really important that he gets assimilated,” Price said. “It’s different. Professional baseball takes an adjustment for anyone, whether it’s a college kid or a high school kid. But it’s a greater adjustment for someone from another country.”

Chapman has been put on the Reds strength and conditioning program. One of the difficult things will be holding him back.

“You’ve got to temper it a little,” Price said. “He’s champing at the bit. Baseball is a year-round sport in Cuba. He’s ready to go. But it’s a seasonal sport here.”

Price has the same message for all the pitchers: Come in shape, but not Opening Day shape as far as throwing.

“We don’t want guys in midseason form on Feb. 18 when the season doesn’t start until April 4 and can go into October if you’re successful,” Price said.

Only a handful of players are training this early. Justin Lehr, Bill Bray and Daryl Thompson were there this week.

Lehr lives nearby. Bray is rehabbing from April 16 elbow surgery; Thompson is rehabbing from Aug. 25 shoulder surgery.

Both Bray and Thompson are on throwing programs, although neither is scheduled to be on the regular schedule when spring training opens.

Chapman will return to Florida today.

Price is glad he got a head start with his prized pupil.

“I think it will be a great benefit,” Price said. “It would have been difficult if he had come on Feb. 18. He wouldn’t have known where anything is. This way he got used to being in this part of the country.”

OBM: thanks as always for the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    OBM: thanks as always for the updates.
    Ditto from me. I just said to my daughter yesterday that it was near the time Chapman was getting together with Price. I'm anxious to see Price get to work.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It's good to know that Price can speak Spanish. That's a really good tool for coaches to have and I had no idea Price had it.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    It's good to know that Price can speak Spanish. That's a really good tool for coaches to have and I had no idea Price had it.
    I had noticed it in the Chapman stories, that both Price and Baker speak Spanish (which I'd forgotten about). Very good. I'm anxious to read more stories about Price's philosophies etc.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Haunted by walks

"and can go into October if you’re successful,” Price said.

I like that.

Chapman's temperament, from what little I've seen and heard, reminds me a bit of Volquez. I can imagine he, Volquez, and Cueto will bond quite a bit when the time comes.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Arroyo was as surprised as anyone when the Reds signed Aroldis Chapman.

“It came out of left field,” he said. “I don’t think anyone expected the Cincinnati Reds to sign him because they weren’t spending money. It’s high risk/high reward. To be left-handed and have that live of an arm. . . he could be the next Randy Johnson or it could be a move where the organization loses a lot of money.”

Early rave reviews for Chapman
    Lefty shows off stuff in Arizona for Reds' pitching coach
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

01/27/10 3:03 PM EST

CINCINNATI -- Most of the baseball world will have to wait at least another three weeks for Spring Training to open before getting a first glance at pitcher Aroldis Chapman.

Not Bryan Price. The Reds' new pitching coach got an advanced look at Chapman last week in Arizona. The Cuban left-hander spent five days at the team's complex in Goodyear, where he worked out and threw in the bullpen.

His extra-early review?

"I was very impressed," Price said by phone from his home in Scottsdale, Ariz. "He was more advanced than I anticipated in regard to his delivery and location and his ability with three pitches.

"We got a lot of good work in. We introduced him to our strength and conditioning plan, bullpen routines and shoulder and scapula exercises. We told him what to expect for Spring Training. Those factors will pay dividends when camp starts on Feb. 18."

A 21-year-old that defected from Cuba last summer, Chapman was signed to a six-year, $30.25 million contract by the Reds on Jan. 11. However, he's had limited exposure to the United States, no exposure to the Major League environment and he is still unable to understand English. Price, and manager Dusty Baker, will communicate with him in Spanish.

Before going to Arizona, Chapman had spent time in Florida working with Minor League pitching coordinator Mack Jenkins and rookie-level pitching coach Tony Fossas. Both men accompanied Chapman to Goodyear.

"That will help with his transition," Price said. "They are heavily involved with Aroldis getting used to our system."

Despite having a high-90s fastball that has reached 100 in the past, Chapman was considered by many to be a raw product that still needed work done in improving his command.

Perhaps the learning curve will be shorter than originally anticipated.

"I had seen all of the video we had on him and I had the chance to see his games from the World Baseball Classic," Price said. "By the time he had gotten here, he had already made some adjustments that were very positive. His mechanics were straighter and his delivery was better. He didn't throw it much but his slider was better. It tells me he was aware that adjustments were needed and that the adjustments came quickly since he didn't have a lot of coaching since he defected."

Of course, there are questions that will be asked repeatedly during camp. How close to the Major Leagues is Chapman? When could he join Cincinnati's rotation?

Price will have a hand in the recommendations but the decision will ultimately fall on Baker and general manager Walt Jocketty.

"Nothing would surprise or disappoint me," Price said. "He will turn 22 in February. His arm and athleticism say he's not far away. We'll have six weeks to see where he is. He could either be ready for the big leagues by April 5 or he might still have to add some polish in the Minor Leagues. We just want to get him here and get acclimated and we'll wait and see.

"I was with him for a week and he impressed me in that week. I hope he can show growth over those six weeks and make it a hard decision."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Thanks for the heads-up on the article OBM. Much appreciated.

Good grades thus far for Reds rookie Aroldis Chapman
    Stan McNeal
    Friday, Jan. 29, 2010 - 8:55 a.m. ET

Cuban lefthander Aroldis Chapman is proving to be a quick learner.

Working with new Reds pitching coach Bryan Price in Arizona, Chapman already has shown noticeable improvement with his curveball.

"He made an adjustment with his hand on top and learned it very quickly," Reds manager Dusty Baker says. "Bryan said his breaking ball was a lot better than what he had seen on TV. His changeup was outstanding, as well. He rarely threw it in international ball because he said a lot of guys sit on changeups and breaking balls. That's an adjustment he'll face here."

The Reds surprised many when they signed Chapman, 21, to a six-year, $30.25 million deal earlier this month. Chapman has a major league fastball and is "a tremendous athlete with a great pitching body," according to Price, but the Reds insist they won't rush him.

"We have to take the money out of the equation," Baker says. "We have to do what is best for the young man."

The Reds will be watching his workload. Chapman told Price that he would have "like a week off" all year sometimes. "Bryan says he's probably ahead of most of the pitchers on our team except the ones who played winter ball," Baker says.

Adjusting to life off the field will be as challenging as facing major league hitters. Being that young, being separated from his family and becoming rich overnight would take anyone some getting used to. "Imagine how you were at 21 years old if all of a sudden you get millions," Baker says.

Chapman will get some chances at the major league level during spring training, and his performance will determine where he begins the season. "We're not saying he's on the club, we're not saying he's necessarily going to the minor leagues," Baker says. "A lot of that depends on what he shows."

Baker is making changes, too. On his flight from California to Cincinnati on Tuesday, he was re-reading a couple of books about Cuban baseball players that had been given to him by the late Preston Gomez, the legendary Cuban-born major league player and manager. Baker, who speaks Spanish, says, "I want to renew my knowledge so we can have something to talk about."

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/arti...roldis-chapman

I get as frustrated with Dusty as anyone on this board, well, almost anyone, but that is a wonderfully interesting last paragraph in that piece. Good on Dusty for that effort.

Baker is making changes, too. On his flight from California to Cincinnati on Tuesday, he was re-reading a couple of books about Cuban baseball players that had been given to him by the late Preston Gomez, the legendary Cuban-born major league player and manager. Baker, who speaks Spanish, says, "I want to renew my knowledge so we can have something to talk about."
    Agree with membengal here. I've been impatient with Baker, but stuff like this makes me realize he has some impressive strengths.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Kudos where Kudos is due. Nice touch Dusty.

GL

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I get as frustrated with Dusty as anyone on this board, well, almost anyone, but that is a wonderfully interesting last paragraph in that piece. Good on Dusty for that effort.
    Yes.

Actually, I think that's where Dusty's strengths lie: his people skills and being able to relate to the players.

Turn Off Ads?