Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker vs Bryan Price

Dusty Baker vs Bryan Price

Does anyone know how similar/dissimilar they are in pitching philosophy? It was reported in the spring that Price wanted Chapman to start and Dusty, obviously, wanted him in the pen.

Where else did they butt heads? Which of them was calling the shots re in-game decisions? How would price manage the rotation differently? How would Price manage the pen differently?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty Baker vs Bryan Price

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Does anyone know how similar/dissimilar they are in pitching philosophy? It was reported in the spring that Price wanted Chapman to start and Dusty, obviously, wanted him in the pen.

Where else did they butt heads? Which of them was calling the shots re in-game decisions? How would price manage the rotation differently? How would Price manage the pen differently?
    Other than probably moving Aroldis to the rotation (enough of a reason for most here), I'm not so sure that you'd see that much different with the staff (I think Price had a lot of say-so under Dusty). You might see the bullpen handled somewhat differently.

I think you might see more of a change in the clubhouse in general under price. I don't think he would care as much about being everybody's buddy as Dusty did or stepping on toes - just performance and everybody doing their jobs. Hopefully, he would construct better lineups also.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I think you might see more of a change in the clubhouse in general under price. I don't think he would care as much about being everybody's buddy as Dusty did or stepping on toes - just performance and everybody doing their jobs. Hopefully, he would construct better lineups also.
    That would be a refreshing change, IMO. In the end, Dusty's buddy-buddy approach may have been his undoing. Or at least that's the best explanation we have.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-07-2013)

Arroyo and LeCure had some telling things to say in a C. Trent article this weekend. Made me like the idea of Price even more.

To me if Price gets the job. It will be more of the same because all most everyone on the coaching staff would be back. Frankly most of them, were apart of the problem. I am sincere in asking what would really change if Price gets the job? Wouldn't it better to have a whole new staff?

8. Likes:

REDREAD (10-08-2013)

1. Chapman goes to the rotation.
    2. Pen becomes more flexible, especially the closers role.
    3. Starting pitchers pulled earlier in the game when struggling.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    1. Chapman goes to the rotation.
    2. Pen becomes more flexible, especially the closers role.
    3. Starting pitchers pulled earlier in the game when struggling.
    what happens when Votto,Bruce,etc keep striking out in key stituations?

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    To me if Price gets the job. It will be more of the same because all most everyone on the coaching staff would be back. Frankly most of them, were apart of the problem. I am sincere in asking what would really change if Price gets the job? Wouldn't it better to have a whole new staff?
    Price is one of the two or three best pitching coaches in the game. If he doesn't get, or want, the job I want him back as the pitching coach.

Period.

Exclamation point!

what happens when Votto,Bruce,etc keep striking out in key stituations?
    Flogging at the capstern?

One thing that won't change. Whoever is the Reds manager next season, he will make moves that will drive me crazy and wonder what the heck he was thinking.

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2013),CySeymour (10-08-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (10-07-2013),redsmetz (10-07-2013),WVRedsFan (10-07-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Pen becomes more flexible, especially the closers role.
    Definitely like that idea. Case in point: Yesterday Hurdle replaced the lefty (Watson, I think) with Melancon for the 8th, with Beltran up first. Dinger.

Why not let the lefty face Beltran, and then replace him if you still want to?

WWTLRD?
    Last edited by malcontent; 10-07-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

What's your thinking on this? I can't imagine it's a given that Price would bring back everyone or anyone. I have no idea what the contract status of the other coaches are, as it is, but new managers often bring in some new staff members.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

WWTLRD?
    Lie, cheat and steal, then drink away his guilt.

18. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-09-2013),oregonred (10-07-2013),Red Raindog (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    What's your thinking on this? I can't imagine it's a given that Price would bring back everyone or anyone. I have no idea what the contract status of the other coaches are, as it is, but new managers often bring in some new staff members.
    When Dusty took over, many of the coaches from the previous staff came back i.e. Billy Hatcher and Mark Berry. I am sorry that Berry got cancer and he has major guts going through what he had to do. I admire him for that! But he is the worse 3rd base coach in the history of the game and has to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Flogging at the capstern?
    Keelhauled and then drawn and quartered.

That will put an end to all ths strikeout nonsense.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?