Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mets Acquire Gary Matthews, Jr.

Mets Acquire Gary Matthews, Jr.

Thank deity. Don't have to worry about him coming to Cincy now.

Well done Mets.

Well. done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ews/index.html
    Last edited by membengal; 01-22-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: correct spelling error, add link

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mets Acquire Gary Mathews, Jr.

He and Francour are both OB challenged, good times for Mets fans.

Re: Mets Acquire Gary Matthews, Jr.

Did I read that right, the Angles paid over $21 million of the $23 million owed to get rid of him?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Did I read that right, the Angles paid over $21 million of the $23 million owed to get rid of him?
    You did.

Wow.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    You did.

Wow.

Wow is right. I was wondering who sold their soul to send that contract to the Mets.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

this is actually bad news for us. i was hoping we could pawn Willy T off on the Mets due to Beltran's surgery.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    this is actually bad news for us. i was hoping we could pawn Willy T off on the Mets due to Beltran's surgery.
    If the Reds would have had to make a similar deal and pay all but $2M of Willy T's salary to send him to NY, from the FO's perspective, it's easy to understand why they would balk at that deal.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    If the Reds would have had to make a similar deal and pay all but $2M of Willy T's salary to send him to NY, from the FO's perspective, it's easy to understand why they would balk at that deal.
    It isn't unless they still expect to get $2M worth of production from him. Not that $2M worth is much at all, but it would require him getting some playing time and doing something positive with it.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

For a long time I've had a bias in favor of 2nd (maybe 3rd) generation players, some with Jr. in their names, some without -- Buddy Bell, Bret Boone, Griffey, and Matthews come to mind.

Is there an easy way to discover whether or not sons and/or grandsons of former big leaguers fare better than the average player?

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    For a long time I've had a bias in favor of 2nd (maybe 3rd) generation players, some with Jr. in their names, some without -- Buddy Bell, Bret Boone, Griffey, and Matthews come to mind.

Is there an easy way to discover whether or not sons and/or grandsons of former big leaguers fare better than the average player?
    Only if you do the legwork.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...seball_players

My guess is legacy players have an easier time at least garnering 1 appearance in the game then the average joe.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    You did.

Wow.
    That is just.........unbelievable.

Is it? He's not a good player, the money belongs to him already, there's no getting that back no matter what they do. Why keep compounding the problem by wasting the playing time and the 25 man roster spot as well? They're a better team if they give those to Reggie Willits or whoever. Even more if he's become annoying about not getting enough playing time.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

My guess is legacy players have an easier time at least garnering 1 appearance in the game then the average joe.
    I used to coach at a small college in Virginia and I had Ed Goodson's son who was eventually drafted. There was at least 1 other guy on that team that should've been ahead of him on any scout's chart but that name pushed him over the top. I think he lasted one season in rookie league. It's all in who you know sometimes I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

WOY,Thanks for the link. Wikipedia had about 100 names of 2nd and 3rd generation major leaguers, including this possible all-star team:

1B - Prince Fielder
    2B - Bret Boone
    3B - Buddy Bell
    SS - Cal Ripken, Jr.
    LF - Barry Bonds
    CF - Ken Griffey, Jr.
    RF - Moisés Alou
    C - Sandy Alomar, Jr.
    RHP - Joe Coleman
    LHP - Ross Grimsley
    RP - Robb Nen

From Wikipedia's notes:

# Herm and Jack Doscher are the first father-and-son combination to play in Major League Baseball.

# The Ken Griffeys are the first father-and-son combination to play in Major League Baseball at the same time. In 1989, when Ken Sr. was playing with the Cincinnati Reds, Ken Jr. was first called up by the Seattle Mariners. They would be teammates on the Mariners the next year. While playing for the Mariners, they once hit back-to-back home runs in a game Sept. 14, 1990. The only other father-and-son combination to be teammates are Tim Raines and Tim Raines Jr, with the Baltimore Orioles in 2001.

# The Mack (Connie & Earle), Sisler (George & Dick) and Skinner (Bob & Joel) families are the only ones to have both a father and son to manage a major league team.

# The Ward duet, Gary (in 1980) and Daryle (in 2004), became the first father-son combination in major league history to hit for the cycle.

# Three father-son pitcher combinations have made it to a World Series. They are the Bagby (Jim & Jim Jr.), Borbón (Pedro & Pedro Jr.) and Stottlemyre (Mel & Todd) families.

# The Stottlemyres, Mel (1,257), Mel Jr. (14) and Todd (1,587), also collected the most strikeouts (3,158) of any father and son combination.

# Of all the fathers and sons pitchers, Ed Walsh posted the lowest career ERA (1.82) and his son Ed Jr. has the highest career ERA (5.57).

# There are 4 three-generation MLB families: the Bells (Gus, Buddy, David and Mike), the Boones (Ray, Bob, Aaron and Bret), the Hairstons (Sammy, Jerry and Johnny, Jerry Jr. and Scott), and the Schofield/Werths (Ducky and Dick Schofield and Jayson Werth). Jayson Werth is the grandson of Ducky Schofield and nephew of Dick Schofield, and also the stepson of Dennis Werth.

I would rather have Roberto Alomar at 2nd than Bret Boone.

MLB Mock Draft
    2009:
    2. Dustin Ackley 27. Tyler Skaggs 33. Kyle Heckathorn 51. Nick Franklin 82. Billy Bullock

Turn Off Ads?