Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Vikes v. Saints game thread

Re: Vikes v. Saints game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    i hope so. i like the NCAA's structure a whole lot better than the NFL's sudden luck structure.
    I wish they would just start the clock and play another period. It doesn't need to be a full 15; 10 would do the trick. If the game is tied, leave it that way. In the post season just keep playing in a sudden death format after the ten minute mark. I think that would be the fairest system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Yeah, tomorrow I bet we hear he's retiring and then he'll be signed by the Bears by the Super Bowl.
    Too easy. He has all offseason to think about retiring and maybe retire and almost retire and eventually retire and unretire then retire again and think about unretiring again, and then sign with the Bears at the end of training camp.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Anyone blaming the officials is displaying their ignorance for the world. Did the refs make the Vikings turn the ball over 5 times? Did the refs put 12 men in the Vikes huddle, taking them out of FG range? Did the refs force Favre to make that Favrian pass that was intercepted in the 4th quarter?

No? Okay then, stop blaming the refs for the Vikes being the Vikes.

Anyone blaming the officials is displaying their ignorance for the world. Did the refs make the Vikings turn the ball over 5 times? Did the refs put 12 men in the Vikes huddle, taking them out of FG range? Did the refs force Favre to make that Favrian pass that was intercepted in the 4th quarter?

No? Okay then, stop blaming the refs for the Vikes being the Vikes.
    No, but did the Vikings make the refs call a fictitious pass-interference. NO.

Certainly, all the turn-overs were ridiculous, and no, the Vikings probably didn't deserve the win, but the refs definitely wanted, for whatever reason, the Saints to win.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Certainly, all the turn-overs were ridiculous, and no, the Vikings probably didn't deserve the win, but the refs definitely wanted, for whatever reason, the Saints to win.

Why yes, of course. They had a pre-game meeting with Roger Goodell and it was all decided. I saw the memo.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    No, but did the Vikings make the refs call a fictitious pass-interference. NO.

If I had been in that official's position I would have called interference, too. I would not have with the benefit of the HD close up I received on my couch. It is very easy as fans to forget that we often--no, usually--have a better view of the action than those on the field. Unfortunately, interference is not a reviewable call and the ref made a judgement based on what they saw: a receiver going to ground after appearing to be pushed by a defender.

The Vikings did enough to lose this game however you can't discount an awful pass interference call when it happens. The ball wasn't catchable and contact was minimal. I was really suprised the ref threw the flag since he was behind the play and shielded by the Saints player.

Either way I think the Super Bowl is a great match up and one that I look forward to. Plus I don't have to hear Favre mentioned 30 times during the broadcast. My wife and I commented that if Favre was a drinking game we both would be dead of alcohol poisoning.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Most of the games I watch, the refs rarely seem to be able to see what happened clearly enough to make accurate PI calls. They usually seem more like guesses than the reality of what we see in close-up on HD in slow motion replays. I think it's because they don't have the luxury of close-up, HD, or slow motion.
    Last edited by blumj; 01-25-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Or, what he said.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I wish the NFL would tweak its OT to say that "each team must have a possession" and then the team that's ahead wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wish the NFL would tweak its OT to say that "each team must have a possession" and then the team that's ahead wins.
    I think they can stick with the sudden death format but no kickers. You should have to get in the endzone to win. I think that would be a fun overtime.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Agreed. I've been saying that for years. It makes too much sense. Each team gets the ball once, and then sudden death if necessary.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Why yes, of course. They had a pre-game meeting with Roger Goodell and it was all decided. I saw the memo.
    Thanks Roy, I think I needed that laugh.

Even with the replay system that's currently in place mistakes will happen. And that interference call looked like a mistake to me as well. But I've also always been of the opinion that if a player were to blame a ref for a loss they're just shifting the blame off of themselves. The Vikings had five turnovers. And that doesn't count the three fumbles that they managed to recover. So that's EIGHT turnovers they could have had. I think most teams would have a hard time overcoming that many turnovers.

The Saints only had 3 fumbles, losing one, and no interceptions. I don't think it's a secret that if you can win the battle of turnovers you'll improve your chances of winning. And that's what decided who won and who lost. If the Vikings had only one turnover, like the Saints, the Vikings would be in the Super Bowl and that interference call wouldn't be getting nearly as much attention.

I bet there are some people that predicted that the Saints would win like this. I mean is it a shock that four of the five Viking turnovers were by Favre and Adrian Peterson?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I think they can stick with the sudden death format nut no kickers. You should have'to get in the endzone to win. I think that would be a fun overtime.
    I disagree on two counts.

1) That doesn't address the problem. Under this scenario you can still have a team winnifg w/o the other team ever getting the ball.

2) I don't want a part of the game ignored in OT. That's what I don't like about the college system. It eliminates the kickoff/punt teams. If a team is superior in the kicking game then I think that should be a factor in who wins

I disagree on two counts.

1) That doesn't address the problem. Under this scenario you can still have a team winnifg w/o the other team ever getting the ball.

2) I don't want a part of the game ignored in OT. That's what I don't like about the college system. It eliminates the kickoff/punt teams. If a team is superior in the kicking game then I think that should be a factor in who wins
    I agree. The best solution I've heard is that you have to score (at least) 4 points to win. THis still leaves the opportunity for a team to lose without touching the ball but if you give up a touchdown on the first drive it's hard to blame the system. It also would bring an interesting strategical decision for a coach. 4th and 4 from the 20, do I kick and know I'm only a field goal from winning but have to give the ball back? or do I go for it and try to end the game right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

At one point in the game the Saints had 9 penalties for 88 yards and the Vikes had two for 10 yards. That point was right before the 12 men in the huddle call.

Before overtime it was 9 penalties to 3, 88 yards to 15.

Anyone who says the refs gave the game to the Vikings is crazy. The Saints were battling the the Vikings and the refs all game (until OT - and I think the refs got every call in OT correct except for the pass interference one. That ball looked uncatchable to me)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?