Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will win Superbowl XLIV?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indianapolis Colts

22 81.48%
  • New Orleans Saints

5 18.52%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Re: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Saints, Colts Hoping To Resolve Super Bowl Through Diplomacy

MIAMI—Team officials from the New Orleans Saints and Indianapolis Colts emerged from a tense, 12-hour negotiating session Thursday and told reporters that, while they had yet to reach a settlement that would prevent a massive on-field conflict, the AFC and NFC champions were committed to resolving the Super Bowl through diplomatic channels.
    "Playing this Super Bowl is our last resort," said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who was flanked by the coaches and quarterbacks for the opposing teams. "Yes, there are some difficult issues that need to be hashed out, such as who will be the game's MVP, the number of total passing yards for each quarterback, and which team will be named Super Bowl champion, but I think we made progress today."
    "The Colts and the Saints are unwavering in their commitment to avoid any violence and wish to resolve the Super Bowl peacefully, without a single football being thrown," Goodell added.
    According to team sources, formal overtures to crown a Super Bowl victor through peaceful negotiation began almost immediately after Saints kicker Garrett Hartley connected on a game-winning field goal against the Vikings last Sunday.
    Saints general manager Mickey Loomis reportedly sent one of the team's high-level ambassadors, Deuce McAllister, to Indianapolis to see if the Colts would agree to a 42-38 outcome wherein the Saints would be named Super Bowl champions. Sources confirmed Colts general manager Chris Polian told McAllister that, while he was open to diplomacy and would do anything to avoid sending his players into harm's way, his organization would prefer a final result that favors the Colts 27-17.
    "Absolutely no one wants to see these teams forced to take the field and play 60 minutes of brutal football against each another," Colts owner Jim Irsay said. "But the Saints have to understand that if they aren't willing to meet us half way on some our demands, specifically those that are outcome-related, we are fully committed to using all our offensive firepower to achieve our goals."
    "If this game is played, I assure you it's going to be a bloodbath," Irsay continued.
    Saints owner Tom Benson told reporters that, while he believes the teams are capable of compromise, the major sticking point preventing the negotiations from moving forward has been a failure to agree on who would be the winner of the Super Bowl.
    "The Colts don't seem to want to bend on this, and unfortunately, this is one area where we as an organization are firm," Benson said. "We are more than willing to give the Colts 36, 42, or even 986 points, just so long as the Saints receive 37, 43, or 987 in turn."
    Continued Benson, "I'd just like the Colts to take a moment and think about what this long, bloody clash would be like, not only for their players, who will be putting themselves in the line of fire, but also for their families, who will have to watch their husbands and fathers be shipped out to Miami, some of them for the second time."
    Commissioner Goodell said both teams reached a tentative agreement Thursday for the Saints to win a theoretical opening coin toss. However, this arrangement was contingent upon Saints kickoff return man Courtney Roby not running the ball deep into Indianapolis territory—an incursion the Colts said they would consider an act of aggression.
    While some have praised Goodell's step-by-step approach to reach a game outcome through diplomacy, many believe it won't be enough.
    "In my experience, negotiations like this always break down, and on Sunday, Feb. 7, at 6:28 p.m., all hell will break loose," said former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who has tried with little success to broker similar deals. "It will be just like last year and the year before that and the year before that. You'd think that after what the Giants did to the Patriots in 2008 these guys would learn their lesson."
    Added Tagliabue, "That entire Patriots team was basically wiped out that night."
    As of press time, Saints coach Sean Payton had been fired for making a verbal agreement to lose the Super Bowl prior to it being played.
    http://www.theonion.com/content/news...ing_to_resolve
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Added a poll here.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Peyton Manning: Hard worker or freak?

http://www.slate.com/id/2243726/pagenum/all/#p2
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Peyton Manning: Hard worker or freak?

http://www.slate.com/id/2243726/pagenum/all/#p2
    Freaky hard-worker?

I think he has the same competitive streak as MJ and Tiger. Let's hope he has more sense than they did when dealing with his vices.

As much as I like Peyton Manning I decided to go with the Saints. I think Sean Peyton is going to air it out and we will have one of the highest scoring games in history. 45-35 Saints.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

That's 2 votes for the Saints and 20 votes for the Colts. It's almost like people think this will be like the Bears/Patriots Super Bowl 25 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDfVmfzX_sY

This was hilarious. Goes hand in hand with that Onion article.

FG, Colts.

3-0, COLTS!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Boo Saints.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Retired

I'm seeing awful lot of chippy play out there, and a couple things it looked like players should have been ejected (or at least flagged) for.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I'm seeing awful lot of chippy play out there, and a couple things it looked like players should have been ejected (or at least flagged) for.
    Yep. I just hope that if the refs "let 'em play" that the calls remain consistent.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Nantz said that Sean Payton used to block for Gale Sayers. If he did, it was only in Nantz' mind since he would have been 7 years old in Sayers' last season.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Nantz said that Sean Payton used to block for Gale Sayers. If he did, it was only in Nantz' mind since he would have been 7 years old in Sayers' last season.

I think he was talkiing about Howard Mudd.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Great second half so far. Replay on this two point conversion should be interesting.

Can't imagine being on Bourbon Street for that pick six. Must have been absolutely insane.

Turn Off Ads?