Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will win Superbowl XLIV?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indianapolis Colts

22 81.48%
  • New Orleans Saints

5 18.52%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Re: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by ChazzReinhold View Post
    No one's going to remember who won the 2010 SB in 10-15 years anyway unless you're one of those geeks who remembers SB winners from the past 40 years.
    Hi, I'm Puffy. I am one of those geeks
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Did Cal Ripken shut it down 2 months before his streak to get ready for an AS game or playoffs? (If he was even in playoff contention.)
    I sure can't argue with a point like that.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I believe that great teams that win multiple titles are the teams that are the more remembered. The 1972 Dolphins were a great team, yes their undefeated season is remembered, but, even though Miami repeated in 1973, the team that pretty much everyone agrees was the team of the 1970s is not Miami--it is the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers four Super Bowl victories that decade are what are remembered and are the first thing recalled by many.
    And I am with Puffy on this---I can remember who won, and who lost, every Super Bowl, and the scores of most of the games.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Colts 37
    Saints 17

I don't think its close even.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

No one's going to remember who won the 2010 SB in 10-15 years anyway unless you're one of those geeks who remembers SB winners from the past 40 years.

Did Cal Ripken shut it down 2 months before his streak to get ready for an AS game or playoffs? (If he was even in playoff contention.)
    Colts fans will remember. Saints fans will probably remember. I remember that MD beat IU in the NCAA championship in 2002, I can't imagine forgetting that.

And your second point: What?

Tell your Mom to make me some meatloaf.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    True, but teams have to evaluate perfect seasons on a team-by-team basis. The Colts had some starters dealing with injuries, and they were able to rest them up before the playoffs. It was the right call, IMO.
    When you play the game, you play to be the best. Not just of that time, but of all time. Hard to argue against the 72 dolphins as the greatest of all time. Good Luck winning an argument against them. If a guy takes a play off, we rip him for it, what teams are doing by "resting players" is the same as EE not hustling out an infield fly ball, but it is on a much bigger scale. You learn from history in all of life, but sports gives you the opportunity to chase it. Succeding to instant gratification is doing the game a major injustice.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    When you play the game, you play to be the best. Not just of that time, but of all time. Hard to argue against the 72 dolphins as the greatest of all time. Good Luck winning an argument against them. If a guy takes a play off, we rip him for it, what teams are doing by "resting players" is the same as EE not hustling out an infield fly ball, but it is on a much bigger scale. You learn from history in all of life, but sports gives you the opportunity to chase it. Succeding to instant gratification is doing the game a major injustice.
    Yes, and the winner of the Super Bowl is "the best". The Colts put themselves in a great position to be "the best".

Your arguments are not based on logic. If EE doesn't hustle, it would be the same as if Peyton Manning didn't hustle. If Peyton Manning was rested by his coach, it would be the same as EE getting a night off by his manager.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Point being, more fans remember who won the Super Bowl than remember that teams regular season record. The Colts made the right decision.
    I think every fan in football knows about the 1972 Dolphins.

That's what makes undefeated special is that everyone would remember it. You get four or five years away from a Super Bowl, and the only people who remember are the fans of the champion.

But not if the team is perfect.

Being perfect and undefeated is about as rare a gem as there is in football- I wouldn't underestimate that.

I'd venture to say that the Patriots losing in 2008 will live on far longer than any particular year they won it all.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'd venture to say that the Patriots losing in 2008 will live on far longer than any particular year they won it all.
    Wholeheartedly disagree. Vinatieri making the game winning FG just months after 9/11 will be the Pats most-remembered game.

And, sure, a perfect season would be remembered forever. But I think a 2-loss season with a Colts title would be remembered longer than a perfect regular season and a loss in the playoffs.

I'm sure the Colts organization would have loved to had a perfect season and SB title. But, with the team where they were in terms of health and injuries, they had a decision to make: Go for a perfect season or put themselves in the best position possible for a championship run.

I'm a Colts fan who was very disappointed when they pulled their starters in week 16.

That said, everyone here is discussing whether or not this team will be "remembered" or "special". If we've learned anything about this Colts team the past decade it should be that they don't care about that stuff. They aren't as ego maniacal as the majority of the sports world. They don't care about grabbing the headlines (as Manning's quote about not talking illustrates).

I guess we can debate whether or not they should want to be memorable or special, but that obviously is not much of a concern to the team itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    When you play the game, you play to be the best. Not just of that time, but of all time. Hard to argue against the 72 dolphins as the greatest of all time. Good Luck winning an argument against them.
    Oh the members of the '72 Dolphins are so full of themselves that no one will ever get them to concede that perhaps they are not the greatest NFL team ever, but they barely got by a Steelers team in the AFC championship game that year, a Steelers team that was still a few years away from maturing and hitting its peak. I hated the Steelers, but match up the 1972 Dolphins against the 1975 or 1978 Steelers and the game wouldn't be close; the Steelers would dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Oh the members of the '72 Dolphins are so full of themselves that no one will ever get them to concede that perhaps they are not the greatest NFL team ever, but they barely got by a Steelers team in the AFC championship game that year, a Steelers team that was still a few years away from maturing and hitting its peak. I hated the Steelers, but match up the 1972 Dolphins against the 1975 or 1978 Steelers and the game wouldn't be close; the Steelers would dominate.
    If I remember correctly, the Dolphins were underdogs in the Super Bowl. Can you imagine being 13-0 and favored to lose?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Dolphins were underdogs in the Super Bowl. Can you imagine being 13-0 and favored to lose?
    Actually the Dolphins were 16-0 by that point, but, yes, the Redskins were a one point favorite (maybe the odds makers expected Garo Yepremian to throw more than just one pass ) .

Hey, the '72 Browns had a 4th quarter 14-13 lead over those Dolphins in the playoffs.

But Mike Phipps threw 5 gol-durned INTs in that game with the last coming when the Browns were driving late and gave the stupid game away. Dolphins won 20-14. Bo Scott had a nice game IIRC. I still have a burr in my saddle about that game. Like most Browns playoff games.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I think this would be an epic year to go to the Super Bowl...just to people watch.

Doughy midwesterners + drunk cajuns + South Beach =

Turn Off Ads?