Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will win Superbowl XLIV?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indianapolis Colts

22 81.48%
  • New Orleans Saints

5 18.52%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Re: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    As soon as possession is maintained across the goal line the play is a TD or or in this case a 2 pt conversion. It is a little tricky because you do have to possess the ball through the ground, which the Saints WR did, and since his body was on the ground that counted as two feet. Im not saying I like the rule, but it is the rule. Albeit the Saints WR had the ball for a very short time, he showed possession across the goal line, play over, 2 pt is good.
    Did he have posession or did it just look like he had possession? I'm on the fence myself.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Did he have posession or did it just look like he had possession? I'm on the fence myself.
    As I said last night, the best catch since Santonio Holmes got one foot down.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I like the obscure facts and stats they trot out for the Super Bowl, like the NFC team winning the opening coin toss 13 years in a row.

One that I thought of myself: no one named Pierre had ever scored a TD in a Super Bowl before and two different Pierres scored last night. Take that, Elias Sports Bureau.
    Odds were 8100-1 for that to happen.

Pierre? Bah! Freedom fries!!!
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The question you have to ask yourself is if this was a play in the middle of the field, would it have been called complete? I'm guessing not.
    The issue is that the play is over the instant the reciever has possession and ball breaks the plane -- so you can't really compare it to any situation anywhere else on the field.

The call appeared to be correct. While watching the game in real-time, most of us (with no rooting interest on either side) thought that it should have been ruled a successful try.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    In the middle of the field it probably is an incompletion. At the goal line he had possession, the ball was across the goal line, play over, conversion successful.

Retired

In the middle of the field it probably is an incompletion. At the goal line he had possession, the ball was across the goal line, play over, conversion successful.
    Yup. He had possession, he just didn't try to tuck the ball. Clearly crossed the plane. No problem with that call, conversion was good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The issue is that the play is over the instant the reciever has possession and ball breaks the plane -- so you can't really compare it to any situation anywhere else on the field.

The call appeared to be correct. While watching the game in real-time, most of us (with no rooting interest on either side) thought that it should have been ruled a successful try.
    I was rooting for the Colts but I thought it was in the end correctly ruled a successful two point conversion.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Idly musing...

What I'd like to know is if there are people still on Bourbon St. drinking from last night.

I could see going all night and then go get breakfast and then the hotel to pass out. But you have to be truly .... something ... to keep it up into the next day.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The announcers mentioned something about a "second act" guideline to the possession rule -- the receiver is supposed to maintain possession as he goes to the ground, but the receiver can also demonstrate possession by actually doing something with the football. In this case, he caught it and then stretched it over the goal line, demonstrating possession before the defender knocked the ball out.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The announcers mentioned something about a "second act" guideline to the possession rule -- the receiver is supposed to maintain possession as he goes to the ground, but the receiver can also demonstrate possession by actually doing something with the football. In this case, he caught it and then stretched it over the goal line, demonstrating possession before the defender knocked the ball out.
    Bengals fans might remember that this is the exact same call as was made a few years back in Tampa Bay when Michael Clayton stretched the ball over the goal line to score a game-winning touchdown and had it knocked out of his hands as he broke the plane.

The call on the field was incomplete pass, but it was overturned to a touchdown because of that very rule -- a play is over when the receiver demonstrates possession (in this case and the Saint's case: stretching the ball over the goal line) and the ball breaks the plane.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

All I remember from that game is Justin Smith not cuddling Gradkowski to the ground.

After that the entire screen went fuzzy probably from me kicking it repeatedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Sure it can. The same play could happen anywhere. If it'd been called incomplete at the 50 then it's incomplete at the goal line. The issue is over the goal line and possession. We all saw he had it over the goal line so that's not at issue. The issue is possession and that can very easily be compared to elsewhere on the field

I imagine the Saints kicker is feeling pretty good today. A few months ago he was a nobody. Now he is one of the reasons the Saints won the Super Bowl. That was some great kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sure it can. The same play could happen anywhere. If it'd been called incomplete at the 50 then it's incomplete at the goal line. The issue is over the goal line and possession. We all saw he had it over the goal line so that's not at issue. The issue is possession and that can very easily be compared to elsewhere on the field
    No, it can't be, because the rule is intentionally different at the goal line.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Also the running play on 3rd and goal was an awful call, still don't know why Manning didn't audible out of it.
    As someone who watched Jim Caldwell coach at his alma mater for almost a decade, that was a classic Caldwell call.

Caldwell loved the slow-developing running play on 3rd down. Loved it like Tony LaRussa loves making a double-switch or Dusty Baker loves batting his speedy CF leadoff. The more critical the need to convert, the more likely Caldwell was to call it.

And 9.9 times out of 10, it got the same result as it did last night.

Turn Off Ads?