Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rodriguez Update (Espn.com)

Henry Rodriguez Update (Espn.com)

Reds prospect

Venezuelan newspaper El Universal profiles 19-year-old shortstop Hendry Rodriguez, a Cincinnati Reds prospect who excelled this year for the Aguilas del Zulia. In his rookie year in the Venezuelan winter league, Rodriguez batted .368 with a .544 slugging percentage.

Hernandez also had 30 hits in the round robin playoff series, which broke a team record previously held by teammate Alberto Callaspo.

Last year Rodriguez hit .322 for the Gulf Coast League Reds.

This is an article about Henry Rodriguez:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...it.ly%2F7tJMgm
    Last edited by New Fever; 01-26-2010 at 12:19 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Henry Rodriguez Update (Espn.com)

WOW!

I love me some Henry
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Who is this guy and why have I never heard of him on RedsZone?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Who is this guy and why have I never heard of him on RedsZone?
    You don't follow the Prospect Rankings much do you? A certain poster has been banging that HRod drum for like 10 votes in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You don't follow the Prospect Rankings much do you? A certain poster has been banging that HRod drum for like 10 votes in a row.
    Didn't he play for the Expos years ago?

HRod was on no one's radar until he exploded in the Venezuelan Winter League this offseason. He started out in their junior circuit down there, hit well and then moved up to the senior league, where he played SS (he didn't play a lot of SS for the Reds GCL team in 09) and hit leadoff most of the time.

An example of a young Latin ballplayer whose "breakout" comes in his home country, not stateside. He's a surprise to everyone this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    HRod was on no one's radar until he exploded in the Venezuelan Winter League this offseason. He started out in their junior circuit down there, hit well and then moved up to the senior league, where he played SS (he didn't play a lot of SS for the Reds GCL team in 09) and hit leadoff most of the team.

An example of a young Latin ballplayer whose "breakout" comes in his home country, not stateside. He's a surprise to everyone this winter.
    He was on my radar. Just didn't talk about him here. After seeing him swing though, I like him more than I did at the end of the regular season. And is it really a breakout on his home soil? The kid did hit .322 in the GCL this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He was on my radar. Just didn't talk about him here. After seeing him swing though, I like him more than I did at the end of the regular season. And is it really a breakout on his home soil? The kid did hit .322 in the GCL this year.
    I remember you and I discussed him a little in the GCL Reds thread over the summer.

If you say so. He isn't on your top 40, and that's got guys like Mark Fleury and Alexander Smit on it.

We all saw HRod's numbers in the GCL, but nobody made much noise about him. When they needed an infielder in Billings, Cris Rodriguez got the call, not HRod, so I have to think HRod has surprised even the Reds.

And yes, he has had a breakout in the VWL -- playing SS and hitting leadoff to the tune of the high .300s, ahead of Callaspo, qualifies as a breakout for a 19-year-old who's had 1 season in the GCL.

If you say so. He isn't on your top 40, and that's got guys like Mark Fleury and Alexander Smit on it.
    From my site on October 1st in the State of the Farm for Third Base
    Henry Rodriguez was another high average guy at second base for the GCL Reds where the 19 year old hit .322/..354/.421. Unlike Sierra, Rodriguez wasn’t completely reliant on an absolutely unsustainable BABIP. In 161 plate appearances Rodriguez had a 4.3% walk rate and 11.2% strikeout rate. Since he played in the GCL I honestly have no idea what his defense is like.
    The bold part is why he didn't make my Top 40. I had no idea what his defense was like at all as I had not seen him. Now that I have seen him, he would be in the mid 20's.

And yes, he has had a breakout in the VWL -- playing SS and hitting leadoff to the tune of the high .300s, ahead of Callaspo, qualifies as a breakout for a 19-year-old who's had 1 season in the GCL.
    The shortstop thing was nice, but the bat isn't much of a breakout. The guy has hit .316 and .322 the last two seasons.

The shortstop thing was nice, but the bat isn't much of a breakout. The guy has hit .316 and .322 the last two seasons.
    There's a bigger jump from the GCL to the VWL than you realize. And the fact that he played SS constitutes a kind of defensive breakout in and of itself. If he's passable over there, it makes him a far better prospect as a utility player than he'd appeared at first glance.

Add it up, and it's a breakout, of sorts.

There's a bigger jump from the GCL to the VWL than you realize. And the fact that he played SS constitutes a kind of defensive breakout in and of itself. If he's passable over there, it makes him a far better prospect as a utility player than he'd appeared at first glance.

Add it up, and it's a breakout, of sorts.
    Sure, the talent jump is huge. But I can't call that a breakout. One, it was based on a very high BABIP of .420 and two over 60 plate appearances. Basically his skillset looks exactly the same. That isn't a breakout. If he started hitting a ton of HR's then maybe we would talk breakout, but when its still just fast guy, lots of contact and high average.... its not a breakout.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 01-26-2010 at 04:13 PM.

I first started following Rodriguez when Doug posted something on this board about him after the GCL so he was on Doug's radar.

Sure, the talent jump is huge. But I can't call that a breakout. One, it was based on a very high BABIP of .420 and two over 60 plate appearances. Basically his skillset looks exactly the same. That isn't a breakout. If he started hitting a ton of HR's then maybe we would talk breakout, but when its still just fast guy, lots of contact and high average.... its not a breakout.
    So, a guy goes from not in your top 40 into the 20s...what's that called?

Sorry, I'm calling it a breakout, because my definition is that a guy starts playing a lot better than I thought he could play.

Turn Off Ads?