Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rodriguez Update (Espn.com)

Re: Henry Rodriguez Update (Espn.com)

I first started following Rodriguez when Doug posted something on this board about him after the GCL so he was on Doug's radar.
    Not as a top 40 prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You don't follow the Prospect Rankings much do you? A certain poster has been banging that HRod drum for like 10 votes in a row.
    My bad, Doug. I figured you'd be on to him if anyone was. Anyway, glad to hear the Reds have yet another good prospect at the position!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I asked Jocketty about Henry Rodriguez's defense today at the caravan stop in Bloomington and he said it was "excellent"...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Henry was mentioned in a few minor league update threads. There are some defensive stats listed here.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=rodrig003hen

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    you don't follow the Prospect Rankings much do you? A certain poster has been banging that HRod drum for like 10 votes in a row.
    He def has an abundance of tools.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 01-31-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Does he start in billings or does he get a full year in Dayton?

Does he start in billings or does he get a full year in Dayton?
    I think full season ball, easy. Put him at 2B opposite Gregorius in Dayton.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I think full season ball, easy. Put him at 2B opposite Gregorius in Dayton.
    Perhaps even at 3B in Dayton. I think where he winds up will be one of the more interesting things as far as roster selection goes in early April.

Perhaps even at 3B in Dayton. I think where he winds up will be one of the more interesting things as far as roster selection goes in early April.
    I agree. I really think he could play above Dayton. They tend to be pretty conservative with promotions, so I doubt it happens right out of ST.

Rodriguez and Gregorious should share the middle infield chores at Dayton. Both have played both positions, IIRC.

You need not decide right away who plays what spot. You have three or four years. Right now, I'm more interested in the bat anyway.

If Rodriguez hits, however, he may be fast-tracked and have to play mostly 2B, as Castro isn't going to go anywhere off short.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Rodriguez and Gregorious should share the middle infield chores at Dayton. Both have played both positions, IIRC.

You need not decide right away who plays what spot. You have three or four years. Right now, I'm more interested in the bat anyway.

If Rodriguez hits, however, he may be fast-tracked and have to play mostly 2B, as Castro isn't going to go anywhere off short.
    I have no problem with young MI's rotating if there is more than one legit prospect at a lower minor league stop. Might help if there is a need at @B a little later.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    I asked Jocketty about Henry Rodriguez's defense today at the caravan stop in Bloomington and he said it was "excellent"...
    Bumping this thread and this particular post from January of 2010 to restart some discussion of Henry Rodriguez.

Rodriguez is 21 years old and has been promoted agressively having already logged 168 PAs at AA. Todd Frazier's time at 2B failed and Chris Valaika seems to have stalled. Brandon Phillips probably returns with his option invoked for 2012, but after that, it isn't completely clear who the 2B in Cincy will be. Phillps will be a hard act to follow. He's been a pretty decent, if flawed, offensive performer in the MI and his defense is second to none and IMO converts a solid all around defense to an equalizing force that makes some shaky pitchers look a lot better than they really are. Ronald Torreyes looks like a guy who could replace Phillips defensively, while being a contributor on offense, but has a long way to go and won't be ready IMO.

That brings me to Rodriguez. H-Rod has generally hit like Phillips with an .810 OPS at Low A in a 2010 season that included 14 homers and 33 steals in 547 PAs. In the first half of 2011, in hitter friendly A+, H-Rod had an .891 OPS with 8 HR and 12 SBs in 254 PAs. Those are Phillips like numbers including the high number of CS that go along with those SBs. He's struggled in AA with an OPS of .700 in 168 PAs, but he's a little young for the league and suspect he may adjust.

So, can H-Rod take over at 2B in 2013? Will his bat continue to play at the upper levels and in MLB? How is his defense really? The quote above sounds promising, but I've heard other reports that his defense is lacking in both range and consistency. Unless the Reds come up with at least a plus defender at 2b, the drop from Phillips other wordly defense might have a large impact on the run prevention in Cincinnati. Is this guy potentially a long term answer or would he simply be a stopgap until somebody more touted like Hamilton or Torreyes is ready?

Please discuss.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It wouldn't shock me to see the Reds drop Phillips after this season, saving the $12 million for a TOR pitcher/ cleanup hitter in the lineup. (Part of me thinks Ubaldo and Beltran are added.) Valaika, Janish, perhaps Kris Negron, Cody Puckett, a minor league free agent, and the ageless wonder that is Miguel split 2B among them until Rodriguez is ready at the halfway point of the season.

Rodriguez can certainly play the position. He has above average tools for a 2B pretty much across the board. He will hit with pop and has a decent hit tool. His arm is good, range can be solid, and speed is solid. If he were to come up at the All Star break in 2012, I'd expect a line of 270/330/400 with defense league average, maybe a little below.

But he has been known to vapor lock and his work ethic has also been questioned. That won't fly with Jocketty or the Red veterans.

One off the wall suggestion might be to be really aggressive with Torreyes this year and next. A move to Bakersfield before the end of the year (depending on how Dayton is in the playoff race), then another move to AA at the start of next season might see the young hitter as an option out of either Spring Training or later in the year. (Jocketty has been aggressive in that area, taking really untested guys if he thinks they're the best choice.) That would give the Reds a defender as good as Phillips. (Yeah, I said that.) His bat would be the interesting item, but, as a likely eighth place hitter, it wouldn't have to be much. I think he could go 240/300/350 or better while playing Gold Glove caliber defense.

I think he needs more time than we're allowing him. For 2012, I think Phillips absolutely must be resigned. He has the most fire and defensive prowess of anyone in that dugout, and he's a pretty high-end offensive contributor for the position, even when his numbers are down. Half a season of replacement parts followed by the untested and likely overpromoted H-Rod isn't going to cut it.

I like H-Rod as much as everyone else and think that he and Torreyes bode well for our future, but they're still young and toolsy. I'll spend the extra money on Phillips, option or extension, if it means that our prospects have real time to develop. Plenty of things can go wrong between A+ and the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It wouldn't shock me to see the Reds drop Phillips after this season, saving the $12 million for a TOR pitcher/ cleanup hitter in the lineup. (Part of me thinks Ubaldo and Beltran are added.) Valaika, Janish, perhaps Kris Negron, Cody Puckett, a minor league free agent, and the ageless wonder that is Miguel split 2B among them until Rodriguez is ready at the halfway point of the season.

Rodriguez can certainly play the position. He has above average tools for a 2B pretty much across the board. He will hit with pop and has a decent hit tool. His arm is good, range can be solid, and speed is solid. If he were to come up at the All Star break in 2012, I'd expect a line of 270/330/400 with defense league average, maybe a little below.

But he has been known to vapor lock and his work ethic has also been questioned. That won't fly with Jocketty or the Red veterans.

One off the wall suggestion might be to be really aggressive with Torreyes this year and next. A move to Bakersfield before the end of the year (depending on how Dayton is in the playoff race), then another move to AA at the start of next season might see the young hitter as an option out of either Spring Training or later in the year. (Jocketty has been aggressive in that area, taking really untested guys if he thinks they're the best choice.) That would give the Reds a defender as good as Phillips. (Yeah, I said that.) His bat would be the interesting item, but, as a likely eighth place hitter, it wouldn't have to be much. I think he could go 240/300/350 or better while playing Gold Glove caliber defense.
    Neither Rodriguez nor (certaintly) Torreyes will be ready to be a starter in the major leagues in 2012, especially not for a team that wants to contend. I'm even skeptical about 2013. I really don't see either making a significant contribution until 2014 if at all. I see H-Rod as more of a Miguel Cairoesque utility man than anything. If the Reds have a true 2B heir in their system, it's either Torreyes or Hamilton IMO. I think they'll need a veteran stopgap for 2013 assuming BP walks (cant imagine them not picking up next year's option).
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?