Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best & Worst Concert you have attended

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Best & Worst Concert you have attended

I saw Aerosmith in 1992 or so in Cleveland. Unbelievable show. The Black Crows opened up for them and were very good that night as well.
    - Close 2nd was Telsa/Def Leopard circa 1988 when DL was crusin' and Tesla was just getting some radio play. Only a few of us were familiar with Tesla before the concert, but they were fantastic in concert.

Saw Guns-n-Roses in mid 90's and they were putrid. Wouldn't have attended that show again if you paid me $100. Can't even remember who opened for them, they sucked too.

GL

/Grain of salt: Don't care for concerts, been to less than 10.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best & Worst Concert you have attended

Love Concerts, been to at least 400, maybe 500.

Best Six I can think about today

Earth Wind and Fire - Riverfront 1978
    Janes Addiction - Blossom 1991
    Grateful Dead Kaiser 1986
    Guns n Roses Columbus 1991
    Elton John Riverfront 1976
    Paul Westerberg Fillmore 1997

Just saw Phoenix the other night, awesome show.

Worst show hands down, Black Sabbath with Ozzie 1976, just horrible

Best - U2 Elevation Tour/2002/Nationwide Arena - Columbus - U2 has always been my favorite and this concert tops the list for me, hands down, and I've seen a lot of concerts.

Close 2nd - The Outfield/1986/Wright State - I know this is a completely different route than U2, but back then the Outfield was one of my favorite groups and we were able to get up right in front of the stage, which was held in the old WSU gymnasium, had a blast.

Worst - Whitesnake/1987/Riverfront Coliseum - Ugh, I only went to this because a friend begged me to. Couldn't wait to get out.

The best was one I wasn't expecting, as they aren't anywhere to be found on my list of favorite artists: My Chemical Romance with Billy Talent--Detroit Fillmore 2008. My wife is a big fan of MCR but honestly before that concert I kind of looked down my nose at them. I was absolutely blown away by their show--they are seriously great in person, and they filled up the smaller hall nicely. They come across as pop-rock on their recordings but are much, much harder live. Add onto that a tremendous opening act by Canadian punk band Billy Talent and it was one killer show. Just raw energy and emotion from start to finish.

There are several honorable mentions, including the Foo Fighters, Green Day w/ The Bravery and Coldplay.

It's hard for me to pick a worst show as I don't usually go to any live concerts by major acts unless I know they are good live by reputation.

Best: Pink Floyd The Division Bell Tour. Got to see them twice at the Hoosier Dome and Soldier Field. Just an amazing concert!!

Worst: John Mellencamp....I have seen him twice and both times it seems like he has better places to be.

Honorable Mention:
    Jimmy Buffett (just a great time, period!!)
    The Eagles
    Bob Seger
    AC/DC

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRedsFan View Post

Worst: John Mellencamp....I have seen him twice and both times it seems like he has better places to be.

C
    I refuse to spend a nickel to see him.

Every time I saw him he spent a good part of time griping and complaining about the world we live in.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Best - Grand Funk Railroad in c-Bus in 1998
    Worst - Red Hot chili Peppers At Value City Arena (too big a venue) they just stood there and sang their new crappy stuff.
    Witty signature.

GnR / Metallica in the summer of 1992 was phenomenal.

The biggest surprise was a friend of mine in college randomly asked me to go to the Tribe Called Quest / De La Soul concert about 2 hrs before it was going off. Was blindsided and it ended up being a great show in a small venue.

I have seen around 60-70 concerts predominately between 1986-1996.

Best: Neil Young's "Crazy Horse" tour around 1989.
    Eric Claptons "Journeyman" tour around 1990.
    Bruce Springsteen "Tunnel of Love" tour around 1987.

Worst:

Rolling Stones around 1990 at the RCA Dome. The sound up top was really bad.

Guns N Roses around 1988. Just bad noise.

The most interesting concerts were hands down "The Greatful Dead". I saw them twice and have many lasting memories from those shows.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Best - Pearl Jam, summer '07 US Bank Arena. Simply amazing energy from the band and crowd. It looked like the band was going to play a third encore, but they were cut off by the US Bank curfew.

Worst - Saw John Mayer at Miami U. Just as his first album was coming out. May not have been his fault but the audio was terrible. Could only understand every third or fourth word.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Worst - Saw John Mayer at Miami U. Just as his first album was coming out. May not have been his fault but the audio was terrible. Could only understand every third or fourth word.
    I think that's just John Mayer

(raspy) "Dah, doo dah, dah, love, Doo dah, dee, dee girls..."
    Witty signature.

Been to a bunch, probably 200-300. All circa 1967-199?

best
    Jimi Hendrix '68 - Cincinnati Gardens - I don't know if it was that good or not actually. But I was out of my mind excited being there.
    Allman Brothers '71 - Hara Arena - right after Live at the Fillmore East was released, right before Duane got killed. classic.
    ELP '71 - the Convo at OU - we had 2nd row tickets.
    Elton John '73 - St John's Arena OSU - First time I heard songs off Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Springsteen '78 (I think) - Agora in Cleveland - Brruuuuuuce!
    Clash '79 - Aragon in Chicago - I was bonkers about the Clash at this time.
    Jimmy Buffett '82 - ATP Tennis Center - when you really felt like it was a small cult instead of all the parrothead crap.
    U2 - about every time I've seen them.

worst
    REO Speedwagon - OU, the old gym across from the west green - a 15 minute bass solo followed by a 30 minute drum solo - ugh.
    Bad Company '74 - Hara Arena - I was so pumped up and they sucked, didn't come out for encore
    Sex Pistols - '78 - dallas somewhere - just a brawl and a riot and idiots, we left early
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Best - Pearl Jam, summer '07 US Bank Arena. Simply amazing energy from the band and crowd. It looked like the band was going to play a third encore, but they were cut off by the US Bank curfew.
    Really? I thought it was a good concert but nothing spectacular. I also thought it was weird the Pearl Jam requested that beer sales cut off around the same time they went on stage.

Saw Elton John and Billy Joel this past year and they put on a very good show.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Really? I thought it was a good concert but nothing spectacular. I also thought it was weird the Pearl Jam requested that beer sales cut off around the same time they went on stage.
    Oh yeah. I've been to probably a dozen PJ concerts, and this one was tops in my book. They always put on a good show, but the crowd was really into it (at least on the floor where I was sitting). saw them in Cleveland on the same tour and that was another great show.

I work for PromoWest Productions, and do Event Staff for them. I've seen both great concerts and bad concerts.

Best: Megadeth (2009) - They sounded just liked the albums, they are my favorite band and it was better than I could ever imagine.
    Them Crooked Vultures (2009) - They were still new when they came to Columbus, but one of my friends had their songs already, so I knew them pretty well. Great energy and a great concert. Although the crowd didn't really sing along, they were still very much into it and rocked out all night.
    Peter Frampton (2009) - Frampton was awesome this year at WingZing! He didn't miss a beat, whereas other older guitar bands (like Billy Squier) missed notes throughout the whole show. Frampton sounded great, plus I had a chance to meet the man and have a picture taken with him after the show!!

Worst- Local shows. There's only so much incoherrant throat screaming that one person can take. And i've worked about 50 of these shows this year, and i'd say I had my fill after show number 2.
    Let's make some noise!

Turn Off Ads?