Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 25-man roster

The 25-man roster

Assuming no one's traded or signed, and that we're going with the typical 13 pitchers, 12 batters, here's what we're going into the season with:

5 starters:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Chapman/ Maloney/ Lehr/ Owings/ Wood/ possibly someone else from minors

7 relievers:

Cordero
    Rhodes
    Masset
    Herrera
    Any 3 of the following: Fisher, Lincoln, Chapman, Maloney, Lehr, Owings, Bray, Burton, Wood, Ondrusek, Del Rosario, or maybe someone else from minors I guess.

13 batters:

Hernandez
    Hanigan
    Votto
    Phillips
    Janish
    Rolen
    Stubbs
    Bruce
    Dickerson
    I suppose these are technically the only definites, then at least 2 of:
    Heisey
    Nix
    Taveras
    Balentin
    Francisco
    Frazier
    And 2 of:
    Sutton
    Rosales
    Burke
    Frazier
    Francisco
    Alonso

Watcha think?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: The 25-man roster

Pretty dead on. Good post.

Thanks, vm. I probably forgot someone, but I can't think of anyone, and I didn't see anyone else on the roster who has any chance of cracking the Bigs.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I think that Maloney gets the 5 spot because he is a lefty
    Out of the three reliever options I believe it will be:

Fisher
    Burton
    Pedro Viola? Im not sure if we wtill have him but I've heard only good things about him.

And I like Heisey, Rosales, Balentine, and Frazier to make the team on top of the locks you posted.

This will be another year in which it's hard to remember a deeper team going into camp.

Oh yeah, I forgot my picks.

The 5th starter spot really just depends on how everyone does in ST.

I'd go with Fisher and Burton out of the pen as well, the other spot depends on ST, but I'd say Bray will get it, leading to a 3-lefty pen. (Herrera, Bray, Rhodes)

For the position players I'll take Heisey, Francisco, Rosales, and 2 of Frazier/Alonso/Burke depending on their springs.

With all the in house options we have for left field I dont think we need to go out and get anyone. SS is another question though. I would love to sign Cabrera and if we are not in contention by the trade deadline then trade him.

I would love to sign Cabrera
    I know that many, including myself, wouldn't mind seeing the Reds sign/trade someone, but the thread starts with:

Assuming no one's traded or signed
    I'd prefer to keep it that way. We have many threads about trades/signings, and if you want to start one about Cabrera then feel free to. This one was intended to be about which in-house options you prefer, as well as to talk about what we have now, not what we don't.

BUT... it's really no big deal

This post isn't directed toward you, it's just that I'd rather not see it fly off the intended topic so quickly. (which, looking back, I didn't make very clear, so my fault not yours)

Last edited by Redsfan320; 01-27-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Yeah after going back and reading that it did kind of come out of left field. Im just excited to see if any of the young guns can step up and take over left.

Looking at this I can't help but feeling the Reds may be in for a monster year or years ahead.

Catching: the Reds may have one of the best tandems in the majors. I know Hannigan had a big knock for driving in runs, but no one can discount his defense. He will work a pitcher also when at bat.

1B Votto will be a star, a no doubter.
    2B Phillips- drives me batty with his obsession with power and his laziness at times. Needs to be corrected, but if it is watch out.
    SS- I actually don't think this area is too bad. I believe Cozart is ready, Valaika is supposed to be ready. Janish is there as a defensive whiz. The reds are in pretty good shape.
    3B Rolen/ Francisco. Should Rolen go down Francisco is in the wings.
    RF Bruce/ Dickerson Bruce has to get better. If everyone is right, and he does, Watch out.
    CF Stubbs/ Dickerson I really think Dickerson is better in center, but if either he or Stubbs plays to their potential this will be a good centerfield.
    LF Stubbs/ Dickerson/ Francisco- This is where I want Stubbs, but the alternative isn't bad

Bench
    Heisey/ Fraizer/ Rosales/ Nix/ Ballentein/Sutton. Lots of potential there.
    Taveras/ Where can he play?

Starting pitching- Those contending for the fifth spot will make up the entire rotation at Luoisville. Is that great or what. An entire reserve staff capable of pitching in the show. Same could be said of relievers.

My Early 25

Rotation Arroyo, Harang, Cueto Bailey Chapman

LH Relief Herrera Rhodes DL Bray

Rh Relief Owings Burton Massett A Sleeper Cordero

C Hernandez Hanigan

Start Inf Votto Phillips Cabrera Rolen

Utility Janish

Super utility Frazier (An Aurillia type role)

OF Bruce, Stubbs , Heisey, Dickerson Nix

Start Inf... Cabrera
    Ahem. In-house options, please.

Wow, 400 posts. The last 100 went fast. Thanks for such a great time, guys (and girls)

And 2 of:
    Sutton
    Rosales
    Burke
    Frazier
    Francisco
    Alonso
    There should now only be one from that list, as I think O-Cab and Janish will definitely make the roster.

at least 2 of:
    Heisey
    Nix
    Taveras
    Balentin
    Francisco
    Frazier
    We can remove Taveras from the list now, making it just a bit less crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    We can remove Taveras from the list now, making it just a bit less crowded.

Of course if they sign Gomes we are right back to square one.

Turn Off Ads?